New Hevi Steel patterns?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: New Hevi Steel patterns?

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:04 pm

While this may have been stated previously, IMO, it bears repeating:

..."High-density loads extend your range past traditional steel shotshells"... *

* p. 119, 2014 Cabela's Waterfowl Catalog

Is this a case of blatant false advertising?

Upon whom? Cabela's or EMI?
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 am

I don't know who is responsible for that, but if you look at other retailers web sites, its not described in those terms.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:11 am

SPatrick wrote:I don't know who is responsible for that, but if you look at other retailers web sites, its not described in those terms.

Well I'm willing to bet Cabelas didnt write it!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:13 am

What makes you say that?
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:03 pm

I used to work at bass pro, we didn't write any of those things. They were all copied and pasted blurps from the manufacturer.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:54 pm

SPatrick wrote:I don't know who is responsible for that, but if you look at other retailers web sites, its not described in those terms.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Environ- ... vi%3Dsteel

Environ-Metal Inc. Hevi-Steel® – Per Box

Fast, powerful steel shot
Hevi Shot performance you demand
High-density loads extend your range
Hevi-Steel from Environ-Metal Inc. gives you the power, speed and results you expect from Hevi-Shot® in an all-steel package your wallet will enjoy. High-density loads extend your range past traditional steel shotshells.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:42 am

goosepit2007 wrote:

Hevi-Steel from Environ-Metal Inc. gives you the power, speed and results you expect from Hevi-Shot® in an all-steel package your wallet will enjoy. High-density loads extend your range past traditional steel shotshells.

goose

Goose,

That is a direct quote from the Cabelas site. I believe that the "Per Box" statement has to do with the way the product is being sold as opposed to "these statements are as written on the box". I can't say that for sure, though, as I've not seen any of these loads first hand. I did look closely at several photos of the box and cannot find any statements even close to what Cabalas printed. On the other, it does state on the box "25 steel Shotshells".

Like the rest of you, I am a little wary of this product given EMI's past history. However, I've always believed that an individual product should be accepted or rejected on it's merits.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:53 am

Frank Lopez wrote:
goosepit2007 wrote:

goose

Goose,

That is a direct quote from the Cabelas site. I believe that the "Per Box" statement has to do with the way the product is being sold as opposed to "these statements are as written on the box". I can't say that for sure, though, as I've not seen any of these loads first hand. I did look closely at several photos of the box and cannot find any statements even close to what Cabalas printed. On the other, it does state on the box "25 steel Shotshells".

Like the rest of you, I am a little wary of this product given EMI's past history. However, I've always believed that an individual product should be accepted or rejected on it's merits.

Frank

frank,

i agree that the load should be rejected or liked by how it performs....i sent e-mail to cabalas and they said that they would look into and get that changed!! they have not changed the wording so either they do not care or that is the advertizing that they received fromEMI.

I have yet to order any in and cut open , pattern and verify charge weights ect....

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:54 am

I patterned a 3 inch 1 1/4 oz of # 1s at 40yards with a 11-87 and a Carlson improved mod. choke and the pattern was all over the place. This combo may work well at 30yards, don't know for sure because I didn't try it, but I would never use it at 40yards or over.
I am second

Minus One

Go Keydets!
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:24 am

11-87 Va wrote:I patterned a 3 inch 1 1/4 oz of # 1s at 40yards with a 11-87 and a Carlson improved mod. choke and the pattern was all over the place. This combo may work well at 30yards, don't know for sure because I didn't try it, but I would never use it at 40yards or over.

post the pics of patterns for all to see! if you would please...
did you try mod choke and or i/c choke?

when i get chance i will order in some to the shop and get some patterns posted from few shotguns and chokes.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby 11-87 Va » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:47 am

That particular pattern is gone, did this several weeks ago, and no I didn't try any other chokes.
I am second

Minus One

Go Keydets!
11-87 Va
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:45 am

11-87 Va wrote:That particular pattern is gone, did this several weeks ago, and no I didn't try any other chokes.

a guy needs to shoot atleast 5 patterns to see if they are same (consistant) or not...then if so (if bad an dopen holes everywere ect)then go to differrent choke,maybe shotgun ect...anyways when i get a chance i will see how they do in a shotgun that throws very good patterns with alot of differrent loads to give them a fare shake.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes