RSI Sam1 wads

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

RSI Sam1 wads

Postby Quacker-Wacker » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:43 am

Every time I get RSI Sam1 wads they are never split all the way down. So what do most do, split them down or use as is? I always split them all the way down.
Quacker-Wacker
hunter

Re: RSI Sam1 wads

Postby Rob MacK » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:16 am

I split them with a utility knife by hand all they way down. It does prevent pellets from sticking in the base of the shot cup. There are some crazy slits in those wads sometimes. Despite all that they are still the wad I use in 12ga 3" long range load, so far its the best load I have at 50yards. RSI 131 520grn B shot for snows 75% average at 50 yards.

Cheers

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:10 pm

Years ago I was shooting over a frozen river. I picked up a few wads, they had shot stuck in the bottom. Ever since I have split them all the way down.
rikasam2013
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:01 pm

Welcome to the world of poor RSI quality. I only use RSI wads for 4 and 5 shot, so no sticking pellets.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby grnhd » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Theduckguru wrote:Welcome to the world of poor RSI quality.

Amen. Its a crying shame to, its the best design of any wads.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:11 am

For the velocities I can get out of the RSI wads I'll put up with a bit of splitting the petals down a bit. For the shot sticking just put a piece of Tyvek in the bottom of the wad... no more sticking.
The 10 ga RSI wads seem to be about the best quality, most of them I have gotten are quite uniform and don't need any work done to them, I'm getting right under 1700 fps with 1 3/8 oz loads with the RSI 10 ga wads...No way I'm going to knock them with that kind of performance... :biggrin:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby Quacker-Wacker » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:53 am

Ive never had shot sticking to the bottom of the shot cup but then again I always split to the bottom!
Quacker-Wacker
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:56 am

BT Justice wrote:For the velocities I can get out of the RSI wads I'll put up with a bit of splitting the petals down a bit. For the shot sticking just put a piece of Tyvek in the bottom of the wad... no more sticking.
The 10 ga RSI wads seem to be about the best quality, most of them I have gotten are quite uniform and don't need any work done to them, I'm getting right under 1700 fps with 1 3/8 oz loads with the RSI 10 ga wads...No way I'm going to knock them with that kind of performance... :biggrin:

BT, your really a speedster. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :beer: :beer: :beer: Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby grnhd » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:34 am

BT Justice wrote:For the velocities I can get out of the RSI wads I'll put up with a bit of splitting the petals down a bit. For the shot sticking just put a piece of Tyvek in the bottom of the wad... no more sticking.

That's impressive!
Like I said I think they have the best wad design its too bad they cant get their QC in check. Other than the wad slits not going al the way down, I've seen uneven wad slits, like two big slits and then two little slits and the slits look like "X" instead of this"+". I've also seen uneven wad thickness where the wad is paper thin on one side and real thick on the other. I don't even know how they could do that.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:21 am

grnhd wrote:

That's impressive!
Like I said I think they have the best wad design its too bad they cant get their QC in check. Other than the wad slits not going al the way down, I've seen uneven wad slits, like two big slits and then two little slits and the slits look like "X" instead of this"+". I've also seen uneven wad thickness where the wad is paper thin on one side and real thick on the other. I don't even know how they could do that.

I've seen the unevenness also mostly in the 3" 12 ga wads, I would guess the mold was either made incorrectly or they don't use enough injection pressure on some of the runs. In any event they do still pattern well even with the faults, the 10 ga wads as I stated don't have any of these problems, they seem to be very consistent from every batch I have bought.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:26 am

Jon Bergren wrote:

BT, your really a speedster. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :beer: :beer: :beer: Ned S

Some of us did learn a few things from you Ned. I brought some of the loads over 1700 fps but pressures were getting into the 12000 psi range and I don't want to push the Gold 10 or Sp-10 that far, the guns can take it but some of the internal moving parts can't.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:29 am

I mainly have used the 10ga and 2 3/4" 12ga RSI wads. With all the ones I have and have used, I have yet to see a bad one or any inconsistancy. They have been my favorite wad since day one. I cut the slits to the bottom with these, I just do it and have not thought much about it until others complained. I talked to Kip on the phone one time about the complaints about the 3" RSI wads. He told me that he thought it was due to the molds used and that RSI said they still shoot good when tested. This goes along with what BT said.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:37 am

The newer batches of RSI wads in their preslit form are all over the map. The older batches were fine. When i get home i can post a pic so you can see what we are talking about. I cut my teeth with RSI wads and they have proven to be solid performers even with the crazy slits.

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:43 pm

BT Justice wrote:
grnhd wrote:

That's impressive!

I've seen the unevenness also mostly in the 3" 12 ga wads, I would guess the mold was either made incorrectly or they don't use enough injection pressure on some of the runs. In any event they do still pattern well even with the faults, the 10 ga wads as I stated don't have any of these problems, they seem to be very consistent from every batch I have bought.

RSI uses recycled plastic. It varies between lots.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:07 pm

About two months ago, I bought six bags of RSI 10ga wads and one bag of 3.5 12ga. Each bag was as nice as you could ask for and consistant. I bought these from Gene Sears Supply. All these years I have used RSI wads, I have yet to see a "crazy" one. Not that I am doubting others comments, just stating fact that I have never seen a bad RSI wad, not even a pic of one.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Been loading RSI wads for around 10yrs. I noticed the quality drop about 5 years ago. I really noticed when I scored 3000 on gunbroker. They were still in packs of 150 from long ago. They were definitely more uniform in thickness.

The slits have always appeared half-assed to me but they still work fine.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:31 pm

I got a batch of em in '09 that we're screwed up. One wall of the wad was at least 3x the thickness of the opposite wall. Jehler and Ohsay got some from that run as well. Just a bad batch, I think.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby kenner » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Thanks Cannon! I have another excuse for not dropping a bird!!

Ya know, sometimes, they don't put shot in a few factory loads.... I swear, that's the reason. (I swear a lot) ;-)
kenner
hunter

Postby ohsay » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Anyone order recently? Any issues? Thinking of giving them a call this coming week.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes