Open to any ideas.

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Open to any ideas.

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:16 pm

First I got to give credit to Carlson's choke tubes. I messed up my order and accidentally ordered a MOD tube instead of a skeet tube. The fixed me up with no issue and got a skeet tube sent out to me asap. There a great company to deal with and have a quality product !

Now for the patterns. I give up. The 3 shot is just large for the 28. I am still getting very clumpy patterns even with very little constriction. I've tried slow and fast and open. I just am not winning. If any one has any other ideas I am all ears.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I guess it just will be 4 and 5 shot at a max 35 for steel. :(

Hey I gave it he'll though.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Open to any ideas.

Postby BT Justice » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:17 am

Grandpa told me one time "It's a lot easier to haul lumber in a Pick Up truck than a Volkswagen"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sometimes no matter ho hard you try it just ain't gonna happen
BT Justice
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:23 am

BT Justice wrote:Grandpa told me one time "It's a lot easier to haul lumber in a Pick Up truck than a Volkswagen"
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sometimes no matter ho hard you try it just ain't gonna happen

I am afraid grandpa is right. But hey it's been fun trying!
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:43 am

At 1465 fps 3's will penetrate to kill to 48.5 yds, 4's to 45.1 yds and 5's to 41.7 yds. Go with the 4's or 5's they will do the job for you. 6's will even work as they go to 38.4 yds. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:54 pm

Trying a load with a slower velocity is the first thing I can think of...no idea if it would improve the issue you are having though.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:31 am

Well the only thing i can think of is buffer. I know that typically its used with large shot but with the small bore diameter of the 28 perhaps it would help. In my limited experience with buffer its a hit and miss proposition so it won't tke long to see if it works.

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:52 am

Rob - play with buffer, speed, crimp, wad, and powder to your heart's content - then shoot the #4s. My 2 cents is that shooting what a gun likes is far more important than being up or down a size in shot. Pattern density is key, and your #4 patterns are envious.

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:00 am

20 gauge.
z51
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:31 am

C M Wings wrote:Rob - play with buffer, speed, crimp, wad, and powder to your heart's content - then shoot the #4s. My 2 cents is that shooting what a gun likes is far more important than being up or down a size in shot. Pattern density is key, and your #4 patterns are envious.

Joe

I hear ya. Its happened to me that way as well with 1s in the 12 ga. I ended up shooting Bs. Buffer is the only other option and it likely wont be easy but hey i understand the sickness i suffer from it too.....lol
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby topcat » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:10 pm

I have only loaded a couple of loads for my son when he was starting out.I used an oz of #3's @ 1450 fps (12 gauge) with PR zinc plated steel,which looked perfectly round like ball bearings.This produced an extremely even quality pattern that out performed most of the 1 1/8 oz factory loads I had tried. Maybe some rounder shot may help?
topcat
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:16 pm

Here we go.... Ya can't have it both ways with this, however using 5/8 ox of #8 TSS will give you not only more range but better centre density with a more open choke and the gel penetration and velocity at range that you won't get with any other lesser mass pellets and using a 1350 MV.
Make a comparison table in KPY and then take it to the patterning board and you will see.
J esse there's a lot of pages of 28 data in the BPI small bore manual both for the 28 and 32 ga's unfortunately there isn't any TSS data. The new BPI manual for Cheddite has ONLY Cheddite hulls and primers and ONLY BPI shotcups..... Fortunately I have quite a selection of the BPI shotcups for the 28, there really isn't a lot of different shotcups to choose from other manufacturers
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Bill I am not looking to have it both ways just looking for the best "Cheap" close range combo. I just don't see the need to shoot my high density stuff under 40 yards if something else will work just fine. :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:44 am

I agree with your philosophy and in fact use Steel whenever conditions warrant it but my Go-To is TSS, usually the last one or two loads in the gun, Steel being the first one or two shots.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes