Blindside

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Re: Blindside

Postby gride830 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:55 pm

I bought 2 boxes of #2's way back around either '10 or '11 when macks had the first pallet load for trial. Still haven't gone into the 2nd box and have planne to give it to the first youth I see willing to take a freebie along with all my old kent steel stuff.
gride830
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:08 am

zpstl321 wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:Notice that it is the faster loads that have less pattern density...

While this can be true it doesn't have to be and many times the opposite is. I can think of quite a few loads on the market that start with less shot and deliver way more to the target. One company refused for many years to put high payload shells on the market. They did so because all of their research showed they performed worse, not better as most thought. They finally started manufacturing the higher payloads because the market simply could not be educated. To this day if asked they still tell the media high payloads are a bad idea and almost never perform as good as lighter loads combined with proper chokes.

I know of one light factory load that consistently shows pasterns in the high 90% range with open chokes from every gun in which it was tested. :)

You are correct.... Often 2 3/4 loads with their lighter payloads will out perform 3' loads when it comes to pattern. The Europeans figured this out years ago but because we have magnumitis here in the states most shooters just won't accept it. Since the public won't accept it, manufacturers can easily "sell" the merits of their "magnum" ammunition without anyone questioning it.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:19 am

Yuchi1 wrote:As stated in a previous post, the birds Vance shot with BlindSide (BS) had minimal penetration and the pellets appeared exactly as those did in the unfired shell we cut open to examine how those pellets appeared.

On the other hand, birds recovered that were shot with Black Cloud (BC) at ~30-40 yds. had (in some cases) huge chunks of the breast blown away thus rendering them pretty much gumbo pot candidates. These birds were shot using a Browning Cynergy w/Briley LM & IM tubes and 3 1/2" BC in #4's.

BTW, was alternating shots (w/the BC) with (original) Hevi Steel (3 1/2" in #4's) and the Hevi Steel effectively killed birds farther (50+ yds. & DRT) than the BC loads.

Regular steel pellets have a DPH rating of ~60, wonder what BC & BS are rated at as someone commented on how they deform upon detonation?

The ballistic gelatin pics on Federal's website ( http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... cloud.aspx ) appear to be a bit distorted in that either the round steel pellets are many sizes smaller than the BC pellets or the photo's were taken at different distances.

Black Cloud is a duplex load with the flight stopper pellets being one size larger. It is not possible for black cloud to do more damage than Blind Side. More penetration mean less energy transfer and Black Cloud penetrates more than any other steel load that I am aware.

With people reporting 8" of penetration on Geese at 50 yards using Blind Side I would hate to think what distance someone would be shooting at to only achieve 1/4" penetration on a duck. Live bird, dead bird, and gel test show BS #2 will kill out to 50 yards with ease.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 pm

Yep, heard about those people as well...they also reported UFO's flying alongside the geese...8" penetration...sure you haven't been reading Penthouse, again?
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:58 am

You can do the test yourself or use Google if you don't want to spend the time and money. Many, many different sources point to the same conclusion.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:13 pm

derbyacresbob wrote: Shotgun pellets kill by getting good penetration not by energy transfer from pellets that don't penetrate deep into the bird or animal.

This ^ :thumbsup:

Of the three components of a shotgun load.... energy transfer, number of pellets on target, and individual pellet penetration.... energy transfer is the least important. In fact, it is inconsequential. You heard it here.
mudpack
hunter

Postby QuackWhacker65 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:44 pm

we killed quite a few geese last year that had blindsides stuck in the breast that had been previously shot. No one in the group was shooting it and it happend on a couple different hunts
QuackWhacker65
hunter

Postby QuackWhacker65 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:46 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:Yep, heard about those people as well...they also reported UFO's flying alongside the geese...8" penetration...sure you haven't been reading Penthouse, again?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
QuackWhacker65
hunter

Postby Swanny » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:52 am

QuackWhacker65 wrote:we killed quite a few geese last year that had blindsides stuck in the breast that had been previously shot. No one in the group was shooting it and it happend on a couple different hunts

That sucks for the birds!
Swanny
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes