New A5 owners what chokes did you get with gun?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Postby Silentpartner » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:37 pm

I did some searching and couldn't find my answer so to all the "new" A5 owners: what chokes came with your shotgun?

Reason I asked is I am kind of confused, my three DS invectors that came with my new gun did not include a "steel full" choke that I expected! I got a lead only full, steel modified and steel improved modified. What's up with that? Thanks for any input!
Silentpartner
hunter

Re: New A5 owners what chokes did you get with gun?

Postby derbyacresbob » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:53 am

Are you sure you got a improved modified and not an improved cylinder? The Browning web-site shows that you should have got a I/C choke not a I/M choke.

Try your modified choke with steel loads just to see how it patterns.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby Silentpartner » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:18 pm

Yep, I got lead full, lead modified (steel improved modified) and lead improved cylinder (steel modified). So must not come with a steel full. Missed that on their website I just figured I'd get a steel full. I guess the lead modified doesn't translate to steel full with the ds chokes..
Silentpartner
hunter

Postby cbrauly » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:01 pm

i got the same thing. I see Browning sells other chokes on their website. Have you found and aftermarket choke tube ? I just started looking and found your post.
cbrauly
hunter

Postby cbrauly » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 pm

I just got my Hevi Metal ER and MR choke tubes in the mail. They are not ported. When I pattern them I will report back.
cbrauly
hunter

Postby Silentpartner » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:03 pm

cbrauly wrote:i got the same thing. I see Browning sells other chokes on their website. Have you found and aftermarket choke tube ? I just started looking and found your post.

Just saw your post. I plan on patterning because all I read is bad reviews on this new choke system. I hope the improved modified is even and tight so I don't have to spend more money! Saw several after markets out there..
Silentpartner
hunter

Postby DroppnDrakes » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:47 pm

The lead modified is in fact a steel full.

It is a great choke used it all year on pheasants and ducks and clays. Shoots em well close up or far away.

I had good results with kent teal steel #5 and Winchester blind side #2.

I felt like the #2 blind side was the best shell for mid to late season birds for my gun. Killed quite a few with that combo and tried a bunch.
DroppnDrakes
hunter

Postby bbs383ci » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:47 am

my brother inlaw got the waterfowl set from carlsons and it loves reloaded #1, 1 1/4oz rto crimp. his full choke got 96-97% at 40yds
bbs383ci
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:10 pm

cbrauly wrote:I just got my Hevi Metal ER and MR choke tubes in the mail. They are not ported. When I pattern them I will report back.

Good buddy of mine has the A5 and MR Hevi shot choke tube and terrorizes ducks with hevi metal
rebelcj7
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes