Cheapest route to reloading a 10GA?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Cheapest route to reloading a 10GA?

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:20 am

Don't spend too much time on this....As a kid, my dad had a TON of shotshell loading equipment. He was a "collector" and had to have the entire "set" of everything. This was in the time of the Ithaca Mag-10s. He had the Roadblocker (21"), a few Field grades and a Supreme or Deluxe? Don't recall the moniker. We had presses for everything and we would shoot clays in the backyard with the big 10s just because we could.

I have gotten into Waterfowling pretty heavy. I am considering getting a 10Ga. I am asking what is the cheapest press/loader I can find? I recall that a single stage needed a Steel charge bar? Or I need a Steel specific MEC press? I'd only need a handful of boxes per season. Dumb idea?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Re: Cheapest route to reloading a 10GA?

Postby ksfowler166 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:01 am

Cheapest how? Are you talking about loading equipment? If so than the cheapest route would be to buy a Precision Reloading roll crimper ($25) and a set of LEE dippers ($12). The rest of the kit you can make yourself assuming you have a hand drill and a vise. Though I do recommend a drill press, I do not have one, I use a hand drill and it takes can take me a while to get a crimp and most of the time they don't look good. This whole process takes way longer than a press but is cheaper. Me personally I bought a 600 jr after having enough of screwing (time and bad crimps) around with a Ward's hand loading set and a Precision Reloading roll crimper for the 16ga.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:40 am

Sorry...yes cheapest press. Not cheapest components or cost per round.

So would a $214 Mec press of some sort get me started? Meaning, are the presses specific to Steel only?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:35 pm

It depends on how you want to do it. Many people individually weigh powder/shot for steel reloads and just use the press to deprime/resize, reprime, and crimp. On the other hand if you want to use the press for steel you will need a steel safe drop tube, a steel safe charge bar/ universal charge bar if I remember correctly. I don't reload steel so I might be off on a few things. I would recommend you purchase a cheap used mec 12ga or 20ga press ($50) and convert it to 10ga ($76.99) http://www.ballisticproducts.com/MEC-60 ... 8452+++10/ I recently converted a 410ga press to 16ga. While it did take some time it was a combination if me not being mechanically incline (the press was smarter than me) and needing to replace a couple of damaged parts. Some friendly advice that I found out the hard way, look on youtube on how to disassemble and reassemble your press. While there wasn't a video on how to disassemble a mec 600 jr pre 82 press the was one on how to reassemble one. Which would have been helpful with the dis-assembly had I watched it.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby 1448jonboat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:30 pm

The cheapest way would be to load your own without a press by using roll crimping. You wouldn't be able to reload though. Just buy the components, get a digital scale, a loading block, a dowel for pressing in the wad, a hull vise, and a roll crimp from BP or Precision Reloading. You can make high quality custom ammunition without a press. A press would eventually pay for itself, but it would take many years at just a few boxes a year.
1448jonboat
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:44 pm

Buy a couple cases, Shoot them and save the Hulls for a few years. Then when your down to a couple box's. Buy the MEC Steel master. In the mean Time Read up on all the tricks to reloading Steel. I would Buy here http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammu ... -2-oz.html
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:52 am

Cheap and reloading for the 10 ga are two words that don't go together today, especially if you don't have a press or any of the components.
When I bought my 10 ga Steel Master new it was $160 with shipping, now your looking at the same press for around $300 new.
Trying to find a used 10 ga press or even once fired hulls to buy is tough, your better off doing what Baltz suggested ,firing off a few cases and saving the hull's.
You may wind up spending a whole lot more than you want to, but if you do plan on shooting a lot of 10 ga and do it for a few years you'll wind up saving in the long run and get much better quality ammunition than you can buy.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:20 am

I use a MEC 600 10ga press in conjunction with a MEC 10ga Supersizer. I would not want to use anything else. They both can be bought used at a discounted price. I do not do powder and shot drops using Alliant Steel powder and steel shot. For this I use a RCBS powder measure and a small rifle primer tray to count pellets. Of course a good scale is mandatory.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:13 am

10gaOkie wrote:I use a MEC 600 10ga press in conjunction with a MEC 10ga Supersizer. I would not want to use anything else. They both can be bought used at a discounted price. I do not do powder and shot drops using Alliant Steel powder and steel shot. For this I use a RCBS powder measure and a small rifle primer tray to count pellets. Of course a good scale is mandatory.

Chris

Chris ..next time you find a good used 600 jr for a REASONABLE price in 10 ga let me know, what I consider reasonable is less than $100...if you can find them they usually are going for very good to ridiculous money right now and disappear from Gunbroker or E bay quickly.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:16 am

I pretty well parallel Chris's recommendation except I have a Sizemaster press and a Supersizer, the Supersizer is used mainly on a drill press for roll crimping. Along with a balance beam Ohaus 10-10 I also use a Hornady digital scale.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:22 am

There is no cheap route to reloading. It's a money pit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407244972.372847.jpg
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:32 am

I reload a ton of rifle and pistol, so I have sound measuring tools. No drill press. I think it's time to invest in Steel reloading.

Is there one press that can do both, 12 and 10GA?
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:08 am

Any Mec press can be switched to any gauge and do both lead and steel but not at the same time. They need different parts. I think the best way would to be to by a Mec 600jr 12ga press and convert it to 10ga steel.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:17 pm

By looking at the picture posted , don't let it scare you ! Focus on the top right-hand corner and you'll be on the right track !

Money pit is a way of describing reloading if you're just getting started but Suckers are hatched everyday so Join Us ?

It'll bring tears to your eyes to have the best ! :yes: :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:47 pm

Lights under the bench and super neat ~~~~ geeze !!, come on cannon, get real.......
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 pm

baltz526 wrote:Buy a couple cases, Shoot them and save the Hulls for a few years. Then when your down to a couple box's. Buy the MEC Steel master. In the mean Time Read up on all the tricks to reloading Steel. I would Buy here http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/ammu ... -2-oz.html

Best advice on here for ya, buy - shoot - save the hulls, THEN decide if your ROI will/can be justified ...
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby grnhd » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:52 pm

If you're just going to shoot a couple boxes of 10ga a year you'll be better off just buying a case and shooting those. At two boxes a year a case would last you 5 years. However......
If you're really determined to load your own and want to load 12ga to, yes you can get a sizemaster and a kit that will allow you to go from 12ga to 10ga. If you do decide to load your own I've got the 10ga kit I'll sell you. For me it was more trouble than it was worth and I just bought a 10ga loader.
And don't let Cannon fool you, aint no loading bench that clean and organized. We all know he cleaned it up for that pic :lol3:
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby cannon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:11 pm

lostknife4 wrote:Lights under the bench and super neat ~~~~ geeze !!, come on cannon, get real.......
Lost

Well, I figure the best time to snap a pic is BEFORE I trash it, and, though I hate to admit it, I'm getting old. I need more light in every corner than I ever have before.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby UmatillaJeff » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:12 pm

Look.... buy a couple of cases of 10ga shells. Go and add up the price to reload the ammo if you do not own the cases and have to buy them. It's cheaper to just a buy a case of shells, shoot them at birds, save the cases, and look for a deal on a 10ga press in the time between now and running out of factory ammo.

You do not need a roll crimp tool.

Just buy a Mec sizemaster press. This press cost a little more then a 600JR but is worth every penny.

Contrary to what has been stated, you can't give reloading presses away right now because people can't get the powder to reload ammo. 10ga presses always command a premium but can be had delivered to your door in a sizemaster for less then 200.00 dollars. Sometimes far less.

Unless you have Allient steel powder their is no assurance you can even get any powder before duck season starts. You need Blue dot and / or Allient steel to load 10ga ammo. I can't show you anywhere that has either in stock at he moment. Without the powder your loader is a boat anchor.

Just buy case of factory ammo and shoot ducks this season and learn about what you will need and how to go about it. Feel free to PM me and I will be glad to help you find a 10ga press. Jeff
Duck hunters chat.. a place where people who never shoot past 40 yards explain how to do it better to the guys who do it all the time.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:15 pm

Sportsman Warehouse has had Steel Powder the last two times I was in. I bought 4-4lbers a couple month ago Online using Gunbot
baltz526
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:33 am

Do you guys have one in Bend or are you going to Salem?Jeff
Duck hunters chat.. a place where people who never shoot past 40 yards explain how to do it better to the guys who do it all the time.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:29 pm

UmatillaJeff wrote:Do you guys have one in Bend or are you going to Salem?Jeff
On north end of Bend, just west of Home Depot.
baltz526
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:41 am

cannon wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:Lights under the bench and super neat ~~~~ geeze !!, come on cannon, get real.......
Lost

Well, I figure the best time to snap a pic is BEFORE I trash it, and, though I hate to admit it, I'm getting old. I need more light in every corner than I ever have before.

I'm in the same boat , I'm just getting done with the rebuild on mine now I mounted a double T-12 HO 8 foot fluorescent fixture above the bench you can put up to 110 watt fluorescent bulbs in it if that's not enough light I better give it up.
Bench came out 13 ft long, I went a bit overboard but I should have enough room now..hopefully.
Post pictures when I get it set up
BT Justice
hunter

Postby Frosty » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:36 am

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I have ordered an MEC Jr 600 in 10ga and I got a deal on two cases of the older Winchester Drylok one in 1-5/8oz's in BB and one in T's. I have a Gold Light, a Terror .720 and a Briley IM, so hopefully I'll find something that works.....

I was planning on using these Winchester hulls to start my reloading quest, but have recently been reading several negative opinions regarding the Winchester hulls for 10ga reloading.

What do you guys think about these Winchester Drylok loads and are the hulls OK to start reloading? I'm fully versed in rifle reloading but shotshell reloading is completely new to me....

Sorry for the hi-jack, but my situation is very similar to the OP.

Frosty.
Frosty
Newb

Postby TexasGeese » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:40 pm

If I could find a way to deprime/prime and resize without buying a press, I would be set. Depriming shouldn't be too hard, and I know they make stand alone 10ga resizers. I think I would have to come up with something custom to prime without press. I'm forced to do something though since the brown primed 10ga hulls are no longer available and the cheddite replacements are real expensive. I have tons of the 10ga Remington peters green hulls that I would love to start reloading.
TexasGeese
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes