Cheapest route to reloading a 10GA?

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Re: Cheapest route to reloading a 10GA?

Postby UmatillaJeff » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:44 pm

I have loaded thousands of them The old style hulls are way worse then the new ones. The old style ones the plastic would spin in the brass after the first factory shot at least 3 to 4 times out of 10.
It is without questions my favorite factory ammo. I also love the fact that a red case shows up easily on the ground. Federal cases ( the brown ones) may as well be camo. They can be a real bitch to find and that bright green Remington hull should stick out like a sore thumb but they are not that much better then the federal.
Knowing how to adjust a reloading press makes all the difference in the world.

I know guys who can't adjust the seat in their pick-ups properly let alone a reloading press! It's not rocket science but if you are not at least marginally mechanically inclined it will make for some funky looking reloads!

In other words.. the dry locks load just fine. 1 5/8 of T's will put the smack down on ducks and geese. I am just too cheap to spend the extra 30 to 60 bucks a case to buy them over the federal shells. The factory loads from all three are good.

In all my patterning LM has been the best at 60 yards but I just bought a 745 choke because of what another poster has done with it. Time will tell. I have never seen a full/extra full choke work well with big shot. Only works in pictures here on duck hunters chat.
If steel 2's are so wonderful why did they come out with Bismuth, hevi shot, tungsten, and TSS ? Why do people pay 2 to 5 dollars a shot when all you need is steel 2's? Hmmm......
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby Frosty » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:30 pm

Well that's good to know, I'm a mechanical guy so I'm sure that I'll get the hang of it.

Are there any good recipes for the Win hulls with T's??

Frosty.
Frosty
Newb

Postby BT Justice » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:52 am

Frosty wrote:Well that's good to know, I'm a mechanical guy so I'm sure that I'll get the hang of it.

Frosty.

The only problem you will find with the Drylock and Supreme hulls is they are shorter than the Remington and Federal hulls, with most wads you just can't fit a whole lot of STEEL powder in them unless you trim the wads. With Heavier loads like 1 5/8 oz you should be OK as most of the longer 10 ga wads only allow room for around 42-44 grains of STEEL powder in the hull, depending on which wad you use.
The alternative is the BPD 10 Tough wads, they are a bit shorter and you can load up some really nice/fast 1 3/8 oz loads with them.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby cannon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:59 am

BT Justice wrote:
cannon wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:Lights under the bench and super neat ~~~~ geeze !!, come on cannon, get real.......
Lost

Well, I figure the best time to snap a pic is BEFORE I trash it, and, though I hate to admit it, I'm getting old. I need more light in every corner than I ever have before.

I'm in the same boat , I'm just getting done with the rebuild on mine now I mounted a double T-12 HO 8 foot fluorescent fixture above the bench you can put up to 110 watt fluorescent bulbs in it if that's not enough light I better give it up.
Bench came out 13 ft long, I went a bit overboard but I should have enough room now..hopefully.
Post pictures when I get it set up

You've been doing this long enough to know that there's no such thing as overboard and you'll never have enough room. :lol3:
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Frosty » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:03 pm

BT Justice wrote:
Frosty wrote:Well that's good to know, I'm a mechanical guy so I'm sure that I'll get the hang of it.

Frosty.

The only problem you will find with the Drylock and Supreme hulls is they are shorter than the Remington and Federal hulls, with most wads you just can't fit a whole lot of STEEL powder in them unless you trim the wads. With Heavier loads like 1 5/8 oz you should be OK as most of the longer 10 ga wads only allow room for around 42-44 grains of STEEL powder in the hull, depending on which wad you use.
The alternative is the BPD 10 Tough wads, they are a bit shorter and you can load up some really nice/fast 1 3/8 oz loads with them.

Do you think I could get a 1-1/2oz load of BBB's or T's with the Win hulls and the BPD 10 Tough wads using STEEL? Any ideas for a starting point?

Frosty.
Frosty
Newb

Postby baltz526 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:38 pm

Frosty wrote:I'm in the same boat as the OP, I have ordered an MEC Jr 600 in 10ga and I got a deal on two cases of the older Winchester Drylok one in 1-5/8oz's in BB and one in T's. I have a Gold Light, a Terror .720 and a Briley IM, so hopefully I'll find something that works.....

I was planning on using these Winchester hulls to start my reloading quest, but have recently been reading several negative opinions regarding the Winchester hulls for 10ga reloading.

What do you guys think about these Winchester Drylok loads and are the hulls OK to start reloading? I'm fully versed in rifle reloading but shotshell reloading is completely new to me....

Sorry for the hi-jack, but my situation is very similar to the OP.

Frosty.
The Winchester hulls are very reloadable, BUT they are not a hull to learn on. They are more of an experienced reloaders hull. Once you learn how to load on the easy hulls, Like Remington and Federal. The tricks to load the Winchesters will come a lot easier.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:34 am

cannon wrote:
BT Justice wrote:
cannon wrote:
lostknife4 wrote:Lights under the bench and super neat ~~~~ geeze !!, come on cannon, get real.......
Lost

Well, I figure the best time to snap a pic is BEFORE I trash it, and, though I hate to admit it, I'm getting old. I need more light in every corner than I ever have before.

I'm in the same boat , I'm just getting done with the rebuild on mine now I mounted a double T-12 HO 8 foot fluorescent fixture above the bench you can put up to 110 watt fluorescent bulbs in it if that's not enough light I better give it up.
Bench came out 13 ft long, I went a bit overboard but I should have enough room now..hopefully.
Post pictures when I get it set up

You've been doing this long enough to know that there's no such thing as overboard and you'll never have enough room. :lol3:

You got that right, I've had to start stuffing boxes of hulls and wads under the bench already, oh well at least I'll have enough light... :lol3:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:47 am

baltz526 wrote:
Frosty wrote:I'm in the same boat as the OP, I have ordered an MEC Jr 600 in 10ga and I got a deal on two cases of the older Winchester Drylok one in 1-5/8oz's in BB and one in T's. I have a Gold Light, a Terror .720 and a Briley IM, so hopefully I'll find something that works.....

I was planning on using these Winchester hulls to start my reloading quest, but have recently been reading several negative opinions regarding the Winchester hulls for 10ga reloading.

What do you guys think about these Winchester Drylok loads and are the hulls OK to start reloading? I'm fully versed in rifle reloading but shotshell reloading is completely new to me....

Sorry for the hi-jack, but my situation is very similar to the OP.

Frosty.
The Winchester hulls are very reloadable, BUT they are not a hull to learn on. They are more of an experienced reloaders hull. Once you learn how to load on the easy hulls, Like Remington and Federal. The tricks to load the Winchesters will come a lot easier.

This is very good advice, like I stated for the most part you will have to trim most wads for the Winchester hulls.
The other downside is there is very little load information out there for the Drylock/Supreme style hulls, the loads Alliant had listed didn't come out near listed velocities for us when we chronographed them. The other problem is the red Drylock hulls sometimes don't always crimp up they way you want them to and you have to modify your final crimp station a bit, the black Supremes are much better but you still have to do some adjustment.
To answer your question, yes you can get a 1 1/2 oz load in the BPD wads, but velocity wise your much better off trimming the RSI wads a bit and using a modified load in them.
Take Baltz's advice and start out with the Federal or Remington hulls, save your Winchester hulls for when you get a bit more experience and know what will and won't fit/work using different powders and wads in different hulls.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:47 pm

TexasGeese wrote:If I could find a way to deprime/prime and resize without buying a press, I would be set. Depriming shouldn't be too hard, and I know they make stand alone 10ga resizers. I think I would have to come up with something custom to prime without press.

It is easy to deprime/reprime, the problem comes with resizing since it requires either a press or a Mec Supersizer which costs about the same as a press.

To deprime you will need a decapping block and a decapping pin. The decapping block can be piece of wood with a hole drilled completely through it to allow a primer to easily pass through. A hole the same diameter as your shells head and a wash of same diamter placed in said hole. It would also be a good idea to hollow out the bottom of the block to allow primers to accumulate. A decapping pin can be a larger nail or I have used a sawed off nail attached to a near hull diameter dowel to help with centering. Of course a hammer of some sort is required.

To reprime all you need is a hammer, a piece of a dowel of similar diameter to your hull with a shallow hole drilled in the center, and a clean flat surface. This is a perfectly safe way to reprime a shell, actually you might put more pressure on a primer using a press with its cams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4IBv0Bg9U
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:14 am

here is the cheapest way to reload 10 gauge ...resize hulls buy the extra resizer for hulls

http://lanesreloading.com/10gauge.html
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 am

deleted double post
goosepit2007
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes