Remington H D shotshells

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Remington H D shotshells

Postby flywayman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:49 am

Like a lot of others, I bought remington wingmaster H D shells on closeout deals and also bought some of the old remington heavy shot shells. I have been shooting these at ducks in 4s and 6s for several years. I now have several cases left of 12 ga 3in. 4s and 6s in a 1 5/8 oz. load. I am thinking the recoil on these will really be stout compared to the 1 1/4 oz. that I have been shooting.
Has anyone shot these at mallards? I am wondering about the recoil and how they pattern.
flywayman
hunter

Re: Remington H D shotshells

Postby Seaark18 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:59 pm

I'd use a fairly open choke with those, but they should make a killer load. I had some, but shot them up years back. I don't recall noticing the recoil, so it couldn't have been that bad.
Seaark18
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:03 pm

I bet they pattern good.

I have patterned Rem HD loads with #2s, BB and T shot and they all patterned very good. They were all 3" 1-1/2 oz loads.

The 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz Rem HD Ultimate Home defense loads also patterned very good.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:53 pm

flywayman wrote: remington wingmaster H D shells .... I have been shooting these at ducks in 4s and 6s for several years..... I am wondering about the recoil and how they pattern.

You've been shooting these shells for years and you don't know how they recoil or pattern? :huh: You've lost me somewhere.....
mudpack
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:12 pm

flywayman wrote:Like a lot of others, I bought remington wingmaster H D shells on closeout deals and also bought some of the old remington heavy shot shells. I have been shooting these at ducks in 4s and 6s for several years. I now have several cases left of 12 ga 3in. 4s and 6s in a 1 5/8 oz. load. I am thinking the recoil on these will really be stout compared to the 1 1/4 oz. that I have been shooting.
Has anyone shot these at mallards? I am wondering about the recoil and how they pattern.

Here's a suggestion......pull the trigger on some 40 yards from a pattern board.
z51
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:58 pm

I would try a Skeet choke at 40 yards with the HD 1-5/8 oz of 6s load just to see what it looks like on paper.

An I/C or L/M choke with the 1-5/8 oz of HD 4s may look pretty good also.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:23 am

mudpack wrote:
flywayman wrote: remington wingmaster H D shells .... I have been shooting these at ducks in 4s and 6s for several years..... I am wondering about the recoil and how they pattern.

You've been shooting these shells for years and you don't know how they recoil or pattern? :huh: You've lost me somewhere.....

Go back and re-read the text...He is asking about a different loading of the Remington WingMaster HD from those he shot in the past.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby flywayman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks for the feedback fellows!
flywayman
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:09 am

You'll hats the recoil on those #4's. You should probably just sell them to me and save your shoulder.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:39 pm

zpstl321 wrote:Go back and re-read the text...He is asking about a different loading of the Remington WingMaster HD from those he shot in the past.

Hmmmmm....thinking I might have missed something, I did go back and re-read the post. Several times.
Here's what I'm getting:
he bought some HD and Hevi loads some time ago.
he's been shooting them for several years.
he has several cases left.
he's wondering how they recoil and how they pattern.

"Like a lot of others, I bought remington wingmaster H D shells on closeout deals and also bought some of the old remington heavy shot shells. I have been shooting these at ducks in 4s and 6s for several years. I now have several cases left of 12 ga 3in. 4s and 6s in a 1 5/8 oz. load. I am thinking the recoil on these will really be stout compared to the 1 1/4 oz. that I have been shooting. Has anyone shot these at mallards? I am wondering about the recoil and how they pattern."

If I interpreted the OP wrong, please help me.
mudpack
hunter

Postby flywayman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Okay, in my original post I said I had been shooting these shells in a 1 1/4 oz load. I have shot them up and now have several cases of 1 5/8 oz loads. I have never shot any of them and thus was asking for info.
flywayman
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:00 pm

Go shoot some.
z51
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:52 pm

mudpack wrote:
zpstl321 wrote:Go back and re-read the text...He is asking about a different loading of the Remington WingMaster HD from those he shot in the past.

Hmmmmm....thinking I might have missed something, I did go back and re-read the post. Several times.
Here's what I'm getting:

"Like a lot of others, I bought remington wingmaster H D shells on closeout deals and also bought some of the old remington heavy shot shells. I have been shooting these at ducks in 4s and 6s for several years. I now have several cases left of 12 ga 3in. 4s and 6s in a 1 5/8 oz. load. I am thinking the recoil on these will really be stout compared to the 1 1/4 oz. that I have been shooting. Has anyone shot these at mallards? I am wondering about the recoil and how they pattern."

"I am thinking the recoil on these will really be stout compared to the 1 1/4 oz. that I have been shooting."
Reading comprehension can be tricky. :)
zpstl321
hunter

Postby On the X » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:42 pm

mudpack wrote:

Here's what I'm getting:

You did interpret the OP wrong, ALL wrong. Your reading Comprehension is lacking, very lacking. You stated sometime back that you were one of the smarter ones in your circle, if so I would hate to see your circle. Just how did you NOT understand his question?
On the X
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:41 am

flywayman wrote:Okay, in my original post I said I had been shooting these shells in a 1 1/4 oz load. I have shot them up and now have several cases of 1 5/8 oz loads. I have never shot any of them and thus was asking for info.

Okay, now I understand what you were saying. Appreciate it. :thumbsup:

To "X" and to "231": yes, my comprehension was really bad on this one. Thank you for your patience.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:14 am

On the X wrote:[You stated sometime back that you were one of the smarter ones in your circle, if so I would hate to see your circle.

Even my circle of hunting buddies (heck, especially my circle of hunting buddies!) know I would never claim that I am one of the smarter ones.

This is the second time you've accused me of this. As I told you before, you are confusing me with someone else. Until you can produce a link to a quote of mine, I'd advise you to not continue with the juvenile insults. :fingerpt:

And you needn't worry about seeing my circle.
mudpack
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:46 am

When did we all become a bunch of recoil "whimps"? Until I hit 40 I never weighed over 135 lbs yet I could go out and shoot a couple boxed of 3" mag loads out of a pump or double barrel, on a hunt and never notice it. I might have a little soreness the next day but nothing to cry about. And these guns didn't have the effective recoil pads we have now. Man up..................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Lukeskybuster » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:54 pm

z51 wrote:Go shoot some.

Really ???? *** ?????
Lukeskybuster
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Lukeskybuster wrote:
z51 wrote:Go shoot some.

Really ???? *** ?????

Really what???
z51
hunter

Postby Lukeskybuster » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:25 pm

That's your advice - go shoot ???
Lukeskybuster
hunter

Postby On the X » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:52 pm

mudpack wrote:
On the X wrote:[You stated sometime back that you were one of the smarter ones in your circle, if so I would hate to see your circle.

Even my circle of hunting buddies (heck, especially my circle of hunting buddies!) know I would never claim that I am one of the smarter ones.

This is the second time you've accused me of this. As I told you before, you are confusing me with someone else. Until you can produce a link to a quote of mine, I'd advise you to not continue with the juvenile insults. :fingerpt:

And you needn't worry about seeing my circle.

Until I produce that link I apologize Mudpack, Remember though, I said until..... haha
On the X
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Apology accepted, X. :beer:
mudpack
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:02 am

Lukeskybuster wrote:That's your advice - go shoot ???

Exactly, no one can tell him how these loads will be perceived by him as far as recoil is concerned. He didn't even share the type of gun. As far as patterns go, how do we know how his gun choke combo will pattern. He didn't specify that either. I could compute relative free recoil for him but those are discontinued loads and I would need the specs plus the weight of his gun which wasn't provided.

In other words the best way to find out is for him to get off the couch and go shoot some patterns.

So what's your "advice"?
z51
hunter

Postby Theduckguru » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:17 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:When did we all become a bunch of recoil "whimps"? Until I hit 40 I never weighed over 135 lbs yet I could go out and shoot a couple boxed of 3" mag loads out of a pump or double barrel, on a hunt and never notice it. I might have a little soreness the next day but nothing to cry about. And these guns didn't have the effective recoil pads we have now. Man up..................

Probably the same time you became cold weather wimp and switched to Thinsulate, GoreTex, Neopreme, and chemical hand warmers.
Banded Birds - Mallard / Black Ducks, 3 Jack Miners and 25 AVISE. BW Teal - 2, Wood Ducks - 1, Morning Doves - 1, Snow/Ross - 2 (both reward bands), Canada Geese - 12 (2 neck collars)
Theduckguru
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:34 am

Theduckguru wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:When did we all become a bunch of recoil "whimps"? Until I hit 40 I never weighed over 135 lbs yet I could go out and shoot a couple boxed of 3" mag loads out of a pump or double barrel, on a hunt and never notice it. I might have a little soreness the next day but nothing to cry about. And these guns didn't have the effective recoil pads we have now. Man up..................

So, exactly what were you shooting 50 of these 3" magnum cartridges at on a "hunt"?

Probably the same time you became cold weather wimp and switched to Thinsulate, GoreTex, Neopreme, and chemical hand warmers.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes