Remington H D shotshells

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Re: Remington H D shotshells

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:43 pm

Probably snows Yuchi1.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:21 pm

If dakotashooter has the shotgun skills of the one Dakotain I used to hunt with, he probably shoots those 50 shells trying to collect half a limit of teal. :biggrin:

...am I right, Binstock?
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:53 pm

tornadochaser wrote:Probably snows Yuchi1.

From the post (age weighted) he made, it appeared to be from the "old" days and the limit on snows back then, was 5/day.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Lukeskybuster » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:38 pm

z51 wrote:
Lukeskybuster wrote:That's your advice - go shoot ???

Exactly, no one can tell him how these loads will be perceived by him as far as recoil is concerned. He didn't even share the type of gun. As far as patterns go, how do we know how his gun choke combo will pattern. He didn't specify that either. I could compute relative free recoil for him but those are discontinued loads and I would need the specs plus the weight of his gun which wasn't provided.

In other words the best way to find out is for him to get off the couch and go shoot some patterns.

So what's your "advice"?

I can tell you are very knowledgeable about patterns and shot size , but it would kinda like me telling the guy to get a 20 gauge honestly no disrespect !!
Lukeskybuster
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 am

Lukeskybuster wrote:
z51 wrote:
Lukeskybuster wrote:That's your advice - go shoot ???

Exactly, no one can tell him how these loads will be perceived by him as far as recoil is concerned. He didn't even share the type of gun. As far as patterns go, how do we know how his gun choke combo will pattern. He didn't specify that either. I could compute relative free recoil for him but those are discontinued loads and I would need the specs plus the weight of his gun which wasn't provided.

In other words the best way to find out is for him to get off the couch and go shoot some patterns.

So what's your "advice"?

I can tell you are very knowledgeable about patterns and shot size , but it would kinda like me telling the guy to get a 20 gauge honestly no disrespect !!

No, it's not. I see no parallel at all. What it is, is a nice way of saying it's a poor question, because it's only answerable by him shooting his own gun, making his own evaluation.
Contrary to what some people believe, not all things can be learned from behind a keyboard. I can see you don't get it either.

You may have noticed only one guy really attemted an answer in four days.

The remainder of the thread contains mostly arguements.
z51
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:36 am

z51 wrote: What it is, is a nice way of saying it's a poor question, because it's only answerable by him shooting his own gun, making his own evaluation. Contrary to what some people believe, not all things can be learned from behind a keyboard.

This ^. :wink:
mudpack
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:09 pm

mudpack wrote:If dakotashooter has the shotgun skills of the one Dakotain I used to hunt with, he probably shoots those 50 shells trying to collect half a limit of teal. :biggrin:

...am I right, Binstock?

Snows ,ducks and an occasional crow ....and sadly I admit I probably did a little sky busting in those days before I knew better and pulled the trigger faster than I could get on a bird. (thankfully I learned my lesson fast)
Two boxes might be stretching it but a box and a half was not unusual...........

That's nothing . One of my classmates bragged of shooting at least a 1/2 case every weekend for the limits mentioned above.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby flywayman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:15 am

All of the comments have really been interesting. At least we got mudpack to "see the light". I know that I will have to shoot these in my gun with my chokes to see how they pattern. I have found myself to be fairly recoil sensitive in recent years. I am mostly shooting an Extrema 2 these days. I shot some of the 1 1/2oz heavy shot goose loads a couple of years back and started flinching after shooting these for several days. Since I have a lot of these 1 5/8oz. loads, I thought I might ask for opinions from some of you that might have actually shot these loads. My thanks to several of you who actually tried to provide helpful information. I fully intend to leave the couch and shoot some of these as well as some different shells thru four guns and a number of different choke tubes. Thought I might wait until it cooled of a bit before leaving my couch, if that's okay with some of you guys. Carry on.
flywayman
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:47 pm

flywayman wrote:All of the comments have really been interesting. At least we got mudpack to "see the light". I know that I will have to shoot these in my gun with my chokes to see how they pattern. I have found myself to be fairly recoil sensitive in recent years. I am mostly shooting an Extrema 2 these days. I shot some of the 1 1/2oz heavy shot goose loads a couple of years back and started flinching after shooting these for several days. Since I have a lot of these 1 5/8oz. loads, I thought I might ask for opinions from some of you that might have actually shot these loads. My thanks to several of you who actually tried to provide helpful information. I fully intend to leave the couch and shoot some of these as well as some different shells thru four guns and a number of different choke tubes. Thought I might wait until it cooled of a bit before leaving my couch, if that's okay with some of you guys. Carry on.

Here's some more helpful information: you needn't test your new loads through different choke tubes. A particular load, fired from a particular gun, will result in the same recoil regardless of the choke being used. Knowing this might save you some pain and some money.

(You may safely disregard all advertising hype that makes the (false) claim that their ported choke will reduce recoil. It won't. Actual recoil is determined by three things: gun weight, ejecta weight, and breech pressure. Felt recoil is also influenced by gun type, and recoil attenuating devices such as recoil pads, damping devices, etc.)
mudpack
hunter

Postby wildflights » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:46 am

I've shot some Rem. 1-1/2 oz. hevi listed at 1300 fps. without issues or noticing too much of a bump. I would say that I can be a little recoil sensitive also. I shoot a light, 6 lb. 4 oz. SxS.
wildflights
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes