wind drift while pattering

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

wind drift while pattering

Postby d_money » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:54 pm

I haven't really noticed it before but I usually pattern in the morning. I went out mid day today and the wind was about 10 mph right to left on my target. I noticed several times I shot the board and the center of the pattern was slightly left of center. My gun almost always hits dead center. I shot one at 30 yards in a little calm and it hit dead center. Anyway I'll post a pic of a new load I'm working on. 3 1/2" 1 9/16 oz of b shot. 128 hit the paper out of a total of 130 pellets. I prolly missed a couple double hits so it's prolly 100% on paper at 40 yards. I am going to hopefully use this load on mixed hunts on the refuge where I can only take 25 shells. Let me know what u guys think about wind drift and also my load I'm working on.

d_money
hunter

Re: wind drift while pattering

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 pm

It happens. Never noticed it on patterning situations. Most of my patterning is indoor at 25 yards or outdoor 40 yards with berms on 3 sides.

I have noticed it in hunting situations. Try shooting the water in a crosswind. I've completely missed cripples on the water by 2feet.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:49 am

Even with a 10mph tail wind it will mess up your patterns. No wind or very little is best, no matter which way its blowing.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:53 am

Unlike lead, light weight Steel pellets loose velocity and energy much faster and do not buck the wind well.
As mentioned in high winds your pattern may shift three feet or MORE..........

One day, shooting the real Heavy shot on ducks in 30 mph winds proved that shots had to be inside 30 yards
in order to score and hit the bird or at least wound it enough to bring it down.

One time I was shooting BB's at geese ten feet off the ground, heading into high winds and I took a shot at the next to last honker in the flight line,with a six foot lead and the goose four foot behind it fell !!

+1 on try to pattern with little or no wind. :beer:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:14 am

Must be shooting a lot of birds if you have to take 25 shells...
Coot commander pro staff
Coot killing pro staff
Sky busting pro staff
Kazoo blowing pro staff
Spot stealing pro staff
Swing shooting pro staff
2014-15 season totalas
Coots-1
Mallerds-1
Canadian geese-0
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:56 am

10gaOkie wrote:Even with a 10mph tail wind it will mess up your patterns.

Ten mph is 14.7fps. I'm not sure a 15fps change in (relative) velocity will significantly alter patterns.

But, yes, a side wind will move patterns towards the downwind direction. That's all it will do.
mudpack
hunter

Postby d_money » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:58 pm

Honkerblaster wrote:Must be shooting a lot of birds if you have to take 25 shells...

Yeah typically. 7 ducks and usually a couple geese. The problem isn't when hunting alone it's when hunting in a group of 3 or 4. Sometimes people claim birds they didn't hit or double hits. Typically we usually can finish out limits with the shells brought out but I also want a load that is good from med ducks to big honkers.
d_money
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:45 pm

I don't mind passing on a duck to a fellow hunter that has been "Double hit" !!..........

but that's, maybe just me.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:53 pm

d_money wrote:
Honkerblaster wrote:Must be shooting a lot of birds if you have to take 25 shells...

Yeah typically. 7 ducks and usually a couple geese. The problem isn't when hunting alone it's when hunting in a group of 3 or 4. Sometimes people claim birds they didn't hit or double hits. Typically we usually can finish out limits with the shells brought out but I also want a load that is good from med ducks to big honkers.

My 10 ga set up lets my partners know if I shot it or not... It will cut down on "I shot that one" or "we must have shot at the same one" with the xxfull choke and the massive holes T shot leaves, kinda rules out that their modified choke 3" #2 shot hit it :lol3: I should add I don't hunt with that douchenozzle anymore
Coot commander pro staff
Coot killing pro staff
Sky busting pro staff
Kazoo blowing pro staff
Spot stealing pro staff
Swing shooting pro staff
2014-15 season totalas
Coots-1
Mallerds-1
Canadian geese-0
Honkerblaster
hunter