Patternmaster decision help

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide, pennsyltucky

Patternmaster decision help

Postby MNcuppin'N'cuttin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:51 am

I shoot a Benelli SBE2 and last year bought a patternmaster code black 'goose' for it and it has done well for me, but now I am looking for a choke with a little more open pattern for duck hunting. I am trying to decide between the code black decoy and the duck. Any feed back on either of these chokes is much appreciated. Thank you in advance
MNcuppin'N'cuttin
hunter

Re: Patternmaster decision help

Postby clymerfowler » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:11 pm

the duck and goose are the same choke except the goose holds a full patter with 3 1/2 and the duck holds a modified with 3 1/2. i shoot the code black goose and pigeon out of my beretta and love them.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:15 am

Unless you are shooting teal and woodies, just hit the clays range a bit and get to be a good shot with a tight pattern up close. Never know when you need to drop that cripple that is gimping away at 50-60 yards.

I shot a PM long range all last year. Closest shot was 10 yards, longest was in the 50-60 range (souring cripple from another blind). Just remember to shoot above the close ones so you hit the back and head and you will be fine. Never ruined any birds. No need to switch up chokes unless you need to. Only time that choke is coming out of my gun is for early teal, and woodies first season.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby MNcuppin'N'cuttin » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:32 pm

Thank you for the feedback. That's actually the reason I am looking for a different choke. Its not that I'm having issues hitting birds with it, but more that I blew a couple of teal apart that ended up within 10 yards of me. I think I am going to try out the code black Decoy just to use in early season and for creek hunting woodies when it gets really up close and personal.
MNcuppin'N'cuttin
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:12 pm

If close teal is the problem the just throw in the factory IC or Cyl and go to town. No need for an aftermarket choke to shoot 20yd teal.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:38 pm

BBK wrote:If close teal is the problem the just throw in the factory IC or Cyl and go to town. No need for an aftermarket choke to shoot 20yd teal.

True that
Honkerblaster
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes