Factory Load suggestions long range doves

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Factory Load suggestions long range doves

Postby Jwrong83 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:05 am

Just wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion for what would be a good load for long range doves. 60+ yds. I usually shoot 8s and I'm confident to 60 yds with high brass rios. Sometimes those high flyers are closer to 70 and 8s just don't seem to bring them down. I'm running a new browning A5 with long range pattern master and a Benelli M1 with kicks high flyer full.
Jwrong83
hunter

Re: Factory Load suggestions long range doves

Postby z51 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Try a pheasant load 1 1/4 oz of #6 at @ 1330 fps.
z51
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:47 pm

2 oz #6 turkey loads.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:53 pm

First of all , both of those chokes don't have the constriction to perform at those distances , consistently !

They were designed of steel shot , which means , they are more open and will not shoot lead shot as tight as

a choke made for lead shot ! :thumbsup:

1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's or 6's will do just fine at those distances......The question should be , how about you ? :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:12 pm

Jwrong83 wrote:Just wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion for what would be a good load for long range doves. 60+ yds. I usually shoot 8s and I'm confident to 60 yds with high brass rios. Sometimes those high flyers are closer to 70 and 8s just don't seem to bring them down. I'm running a new browning A5 with long range pattern master and a Benelli M1 with kicks high flyer full.

If you are shooting dove with #8 shot at 60 yards you are having much better luck with them than I ever had. On frontal shots unless you hit them with a lucky pellet in the head the #8 never made it through the breast plate. Sometime you would knock them down and then they recover and fly off. Come to think of it, when cleaning bird hit with 8's I've never seen one make it through he breast plate and any distance. I switched to 7.5 (lead) and had much better luck and if I were in the habit of taking 60 yard shot I'd got to size 6. One would likely run out of pattern with open chokes at that distance but a full choke or extra full might get it done. The do leave a pretty big hole in a dove though.

To this point everyone has assumed you are asking about lead shot. Around here the drawn hunts require steel shot. I've not used much steel on dove but if 60 yards were the mark I might try high speed #5 but likely the answer would be #3 shot.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:26 pm

Sixty and 70 yard shots on doves, eh?

Lead shot: Remington STS Nitro Sporting in 1 1/8oz of 8's. Use a true full or XFull (lead) choke and hope for a lucky pellet.
Steel shot: Doesn't matter what load, because you'll have to hope for more than a lucky pellet. More like divine intervention.
Last edited by mudpack on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:55 pm

TSS in #11's :thumbsup:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:52 pm

I assume your using the almighty 28 ga at those yardages :yes:
cootlover
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:31 pm

z51 wrote:Try a pheasant load 1 1/4 oz of #6 at @ 1330 fps.

This, with a turkey choke constriction. The patterns from my IM Inv+ Diana Grade in my 12ga BPS fall apart past 50ish yds with lead 7.5s.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:34 pm

mudpack wrote:Sixty and 70 yard shots on doves, eh?

Use a true full or XFull (lead) choke and hope for a lucky pellet.

Pretty much. The flight path of a dove is already unpredictable enough at normal distances, let alone 60-70yds. Unless it is flying straight away or in a straight path, it is going to take more luck than skill to bring one down.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:TSS in #11's :thumbsup:

I like this answer the best. :)
zpstl321
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:19 pm

I've shot clay targets with steel 6's out of a .035 choke and it will break targets ( with a little dome showing ) at 60 +or - yds !
Thinking a Dove isn't any tougher than a on-edge clay target but I guess chips don't count here ? :lol3:

It's hard to beat 6's with steel shot inside 50 yds on Doves , I know ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:47 pm

3200 man wrote: Thinking a Dove isn't any tougher than a on-edge clay target but I guess chips don't count here ? :lol3:

A clay target moves in a very predictable trajectory. Birds, especially doves, do not. That is why you'll see lots of folks slay the clay pigeons, but once they're in the dove field they look like they haven't practiced at all.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:58 am

If you need to consistently make 60 yard shots on Doves here's two suggestions.
1) Find a new place to hunt
2) Buy one of those Mojo Dove decoys, believe me they work and you won't need to make very long shots at all.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:21 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
3200 man wrote: Thinking a Dove isn't any tougher than a on-edge clay target but I guess chips don't count here ? :lol3:

A clay target moves in a very predictable trajectory. Birds, especially doves, do not. That is why you'll see lots of folks slay the clay pigeons, but once they're in the dove field they look like they haven't practiced at all.

But , They will do better than fellas , that don't practice....... :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:26 am

BT is right, and I'd go one step further:

BT Justice wrote:If you need to consistently make 60 yard shots on Doves here's two suggestions.
2) Readjust your mindset as to what is "in range" and what is not.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:01 am

^ This but if that is not possible the only thing I can recommend is prayer. Since divine intervention is the only way your hitting doves at 50+ yards consistently.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:37 pm

REMINGTON HEAVY DOVE #6'S. I HAVE KNOCKED A COUPLE DOWN AT 60.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby Jwrong83 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:59 pm

Perhaps the reason I can kill doves consistently at 60 yards is because I practice 2-3 times a week 100 rounds per session year round. I know my gun and I know how it shoots, Instead of buying the latest gear, motion decoys, and duck comander calls. My group and I regularly practice 70 yd clay shots. Hitting them at 70 yds isn't the problem but #8 lead shot only knocks feathers.

mudpack wrote:BT is right, and I'd go one step further:

BT Justice wrote:If you need to consistently make 60 yard shots on Doves here's two suggestions.
Jwrong83
hunter

Postby TexasGeese » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Has anyone shot the Sporting Ammo load called the "Hammer?"

I just saw on their website they changed the name to Sporting Ammo II. When did that happen?
TexasGeese
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:31 pm

Jwrong83 wrote:Perhaps the reason I can kill doves consistently at 60 yards is because I practice 2-3 times a week 100 rounds per session year round. I know my gun and I know how it shoots, Instead of buying the latest gear, motion decoys, and duck comander calls. My group and I regularly practice 70 yd clay shots. Hitting them at 70 yds isn't the problem but #8 lead shot only knocks feathers.

mudpack wrote:BT is right, and I'd go one step further:

May I suggest swapping to a 10 gauge spraying 2.25oz of lead BB shot through a terror .705 xxxfull choke. You will knock off a little more then feathers :smile:
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:10 pm

Jwrong83 wrote:Perhaps the reason I can kill doves consistently at 60 yards is because I practice 2-3 times a week 100 rounds per session year round. I know my gun and I know how it shoots, Instead of buying the latest gear, motion decoys, and duck comander calls. My group and I regularly practice 70 yd clay shots. Hitting them at 70 yds isn't the problem but #8 lead shot only knocks feathers.

This seems to just get more and more ridiculous as this forum ages. When you think you've read a tall tale, a few months later someone else comes on and one ups the previous one.
People on here used to claim to hit consistently past 40yds, then for a while it was 50+. Then, after there appeared to be quite a few people claiming to hit consistently past 50, it went up to 60. Now it looks like it has gone up to 70. :yes:

I will freely admit I can't hit consistently past 45-50ish. Every year on opening day of dove season, in a field with 50-100 shooters, I always end up being one of the top 5 best shots. And no one that is better than me is consistently knocking down doves past 50yds. My question is, where are all of these expert marksman on DHC making these claims? I sure haven't seen any my entire life.
Just like all these people on here claiming to be 6'2" and up. Apparently I live in a bubble with a bunch of short people and bad shots.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:14 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:

This seems to just get more and more ridiculous as this forum ages. When you think you've read a tall tale, a few months later someone else comes on and one ups the previous one.
People on here used to claim to hit consistently past 40yds, then for a while it was 50+. Then, after there appeared to be quite a few people claiming to hit consistently past 50, it went up to 60. Now it looks like it has gone up to 70. :yes:

I will freely admit I can't hit consistently past 45-50ish. Every year on opening day of dove season, in a field with 50-100 shooters, I always end up being one of the top 5 best shots. And no one that is better than me is consistently knocking down doves past 50yds. My question is, where are all of these expert marksman on DHC making these claims? I sure haven't seen any my entire life.
Just like all these people on here claiming to be 6'2" and up. Apparently I live in a bubble with a bunch of short people and bad shots.

The problem isn't that they are lying...they just have no idea what 70 yards looks like! Guarantee none of them have actually ranged how far a clay is while shooting...so its "whoa man that one was way out there...bet that was 70 yards!" Yeah looked like 70 to me.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:57 pm

Stop missing...............................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:58 pm

And I thought I was FULL of SH*T :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes