Factory Load suggestions long range doves

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Re: Factory Load suggestions long range doves

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:24 pm

zpstl321 wrote:This may be it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teixm6JMw_k

Yep that's digweed.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:10 pm

That would be mr digweed. Like I mentioned, he also has videos of him shooting pigeons at 90yds.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Even though Digweed is considered the Worlds All Time Champion and by all rights in a class by himself , there are
Great Shooters all over the world and a lot of them , here in the USA !

With the longest target competition held in United Arab Emirates this year , our own Gebben Miles from Arizona won
the event over Digweed and other top shooters to win $140,000. Some of these targets were beyond 90 yds in distance
and I'm sure their patterns were capable !

Even though WE aren't in a league with these fellas , with consistency , we do compete and win more times than not !
3200 man
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:03 pm

USA! USA!
BBK
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:45 pm

3200 man wrote:---------
I shoot long-range clay targets , these clays are 4.25 " dia , as most of them are flying more on edge than flat ,
we consistently break these at 65 yds and sometimes at 80 yds with 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's and 6's !
-----------
:thumbsup:

Try shooting those clays at that range with no spin on them (remove the rubber from the throwing arm) . Think you will find out that a clay with a lot of spin is a LOT easier to break than a live bird is to kill .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Oldman1949

I understand what you're saying and it's so true , a spinning clay target is easier to break but there are many times
with 4 or 5 shots fired and the target is floating down to the ground , it gets hit and is broken at 75 yds plus .
Speaking of long range DOVES , being shot with 6's or 5 's , this little bird ( Morning Doves ) around here can't take
much of a beating so , with one pellet in the ribs , it will hit the ground .
With 225 6's to the oz traveling 1200 fps , that's 555 fps at 60 yds , each pellet has .85 ft/lbs and it takes .238 seconds
to get there ! So , you can see with the loads we're shooting at long range targets being between 1300 to 1400 fps with
a 547 gr payload......could and will kill a Dove , if you can hit'em , way beyond 60 yds !
3200 man
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:45 am

3200 man wrote:Oldman1949

I understand what you're saying and it's so true , a spinning clay target is easier to break but there are many times
with 4 or 5 shots fired and the target is floating down to the ground , it gets hit and is broken at 75 yds plus .
Speaking of long range DOVES , being shot with 6's or 5 's , this little bird ( Morning Doves ) around here can't take
much of a beating so , with one pellet in the ribs , it will hit the ground .
With 225 6's to the oz traveling 1200 fps , that's 555 fps at 60 yds , each pellet has .85 ft/lbs and it takes .238 seconds
to get there ! So , you can see with the loads we're shooting at long range targets being between 1300 to 1400 fps with
a 547 gr payload......could and will kill a Dove , if you can hit'em , way beyond 60 yds !

I love reading this stuff..then comes opening day of Dove season.
The constant barrage of shot's being fired at one lone dove going across a 50 acre field with 100 guys shooting at it and none of them can hit it,,,,,,,,,yeah keep going with this conversation I'm getting a kick out of it... :lol3: :lol3:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:28 am

3200 man wrote:Some of these targets were beyond 90 yds in distance and I'm sure their patterns were capable !

The fact that the best shooters in the world did not break all of those targets tells me the patterns were pretty thin at 90 yards, and breaking one involved as much luck as skill. I think George and Miles would back me up on that. You would, too, after you look at some 90 yard "patterns" on a pattern sheet. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:42 am

I agree Joe , hunters are always asking for something to shoot on the outer edges of their ability when inside 40 yds
is more than a challenge for 80 % of them . You can see this on opening day , as to , who spent some time at the Sporting
Clays range . The ammo Manufactures rely on fellas that don't practice shooting, as the average Dove hunter shoots 75 shells
for a 10 bird limit.....oh wait , in our area the limit has increased to 15 birds so more than a half a flat will be used for a
limit . The sorry part of all this is to understand whether it's the profits for the ammo companies or the Government that's
really limiting us on ammo availability ? :huh:
3200 man
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:03 am

Mud

You're right , kinda ! I haven't seen the scorecards as to who broke what at this event , with the different stations
all being on the long range side , I'm just guessing there was some educated .estimation in forward allowances made .
But , I'm sure their patterns were Tried and True before entering such an event , as the stakes were pretty high and
the competition was as tough as it could get ? We can only dream of being able to shoot like these shooters but , you'
know , they spent many hours shooting distant targets and many flats of ammo , to find out what worked best ? :yes:

Luck ? Top Shooters don't play the game of Luck , they know what their (load) equipment can do !
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:23 am

3200 man wrote: Top Shooters don't play the game of Luck , they know what their (load) equipment can do !

That's why they know the role luck plays in breaking a 70, 80,or 90 yard target. :thumbsup:

Look at some 70 yard patterns and get back to us.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:19 am

Oh , don't worry I have many times ! I shoot these loads over my chrony , pattern them to find out which choke works
best in my guns and rely on the.....pattern percentage to put luck on my side.... :yes:

Even 40 yd shooting is about the same Luck , you speak of ? Most patterns in most guns with full choke at 40 yds only
have a 70 percent pattern so , there are things we can do by trial and error to improve these patterns and they can be mostly
effective at long range , if we practice with them !

The gun and ammo are only the beginning of good long range shooting , that's why so much time is put into practicing
Long Shots , I guess this is putting Luck on our side ? :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:21 am

The problem with all this talk of killing birds at 60 , 70, 80 yards is that a lot of the folks reading it believe it . Sure there are a few that can do it but there are far more that can't . But they are going to try it anyway because a guy on the internet says he can do it .
Then they say they have to shoot that far because the birds will not fly closer . They will not fly closer because you will not let them .

Know how to tell the difference between a fairy tale and a true story ? A fairy tale starts out with "we do it all the time" , a true story starts out with "this is no ++++" .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:24 am

BT Justice wrote:I love reading this stuff..then comes opening day of Dove season.
The constant barrage of shot's being fired at one lone dove going across a 50 acre field with 100 guys shooting at it and none of them can hit it,,,,,,,,,yeah keep going with this conversation I'm getting a kick out of it... :lol3: :lol3:

Probably because dove hunting isn't really hunting. It's when all the shooters and big game hunters pick up a shotgun and become "upland hunters" for a day. Around here we see the same thing, except the dove is at 30 yards and it will fly past 3 or 4 guys until it hits an actual hunter and gets roasted.

Last year I had the misfortune to have a "professional" dove hunter sitting just to my left where all the birds were coming from. This fella takes annual trips to argentina and mexico to hunt doves and has killed tens of thousands of them. He was shooting a 20ga SX3 with IM choke and 7/8 of 8's (I asked him). He shot his 15 in 17 shots and most of them were in the 50-60 yard range after everyone else had missed and flared them (we were at the end of the line).
BBK
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:40 am

Oldman

I truly believe what you're saying , with the OP's question , I have stated the facts about long range shooting !
I for one don't hunt Doves with long range shells ! A good 1200 fps load of 8 1/2's in my 28 ga gives me all that
I need to be successful , with confidence , I'll need less than a box to get my limit and that's with a IM .025 choke
shooting birds inside 40 yds ..... :thumbsup: So , I pick my shots !

It's less work for my Dog , along with , I like eating Dove's !
and , it's to damn far to set-up my mojo dove.... :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Being able to consistently? Tough to do for sure. Have had plenty of hail marry shots over the years that connected and plenty that didnt connect.

While it is regular lead and will hit as such and i have not personally tried it out as of yet. The components in the new Hevi Dove and reports ive heard/read are that its a very good patterning load. Give a box a try..
rebelcj7
hunter

Postby cootlover » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:40 pm

3200 what's funny I said I shoot 27 yard trap with a 28 ga and you said it was lucky braking clays at 45 -47 yards with a 28 ga now your saying you shoot doves at 40 yards so 5 yards makes that big of differences :huh:
cootlover
hunter

Postby Jwrong83 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:38 am

mudpack wrote:
3200 man wrote:Some of these targets were beyond 90 yds in distance and I'm sure their patterns were capable !

The fact that the best shooters in the world did not break all of those targets tells me the patterns were pretty thin at 90 yards, and breaking one involved as much luck as skill. I think George and Miles would back me up on that. You would, too, after you look at some 90 yard "patterns" on a pattern sheet. :thumbsup:

You mean to tell me you actually believe that the best shooters in the world are relying on luck? Also when you pattern a shotgun all the pellets aren't hitting the paper at the same time. A bad pattern on paper can be the best pattern in the field. Take time to practice and know your gun/load. Stop relying on what your paper says.
Jwrong83
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:06 am

Jwrong83 wrote:Also when you pattern a shotgun all the pellets aren't hitting the paper at the same time. A bad pattern on paper can be the best pattern in the field. Take time to practice and know your gun/load. Stop relying on what your paper says.

Not true. Yes a pattern is 3 dimensional, but if there are holes in the pattern, it IS going to show up on paper regardless. The only dimension left out when patterning on paper is the depth of the pattern/distribution from front to back.

They may not be hitting the paper at the same time, but that doesn't change the fact that the hole still exists as the pellets are traveling through the air.

That statement would be accurate if it was "a good pattern on paper can be a bad pattern in the field".
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:15 am

Jwrong83 wrote:
mudpack wrote:

You mean to tell me you actually believe that the best shooters in the world are relying on luck? Also when you pattern a shotgun all the pellets aren't hitting the paper at the same time. A bad pattern on paper can be the best pattern in the field. Take time to practice and know your gun/load. Stop relying on what your paper says.

So True ! Practicing sporting targets at different yardages and angles does build ones confidence , allowing a shooter
to know where his/her's most consistency is no mater how close or far the target is so , Yes , percentage is in the game
of clay targets along with hunting birds . We all play the game of LUCKY shots at times but , the better you are , the luckier
you become , right ? :lol3: :yes:
3200 man
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes