PM and Fiocchi

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

PM and Fiocchi

Postby IowaYoungGuns » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:56 pm

Does anyone have experience shooting Fiocchi heavy steel, such as the 3.5" 1 9/16 #1 load, through a pm? Or experience with Fiocchi heavy steel itself?
Thanks
IowaYoungGuns
hunter

Re: PM and Fiocchi

Postby hamernhonkers » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:08 pm

IowaYoungGuns wrote:Does anyone have experience shooting Fiocchi heavy steel, such as the 3.5" 1 9/16 #1 load, through a pm? Or experience with Fiocchi heavy steel itself?
Thanks

With a pm no but the load kills ducks and geese just fine to 50. Kicks like mule out of my citori but it's a hell of a lot softer through the versamax. Just a good solid load.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:17 pm

IowaYoungGuns wrote:Does anyone have experience shooting Fiocchi heavy steel, such as the 3.5" 1 9/16 #1 load, through a pm? Or experience with Fiocchi heavy steel itself?
Thanks

I normally use a 10 rather than 3.5" 12, but I am very tempted to try to get ahold of a box of that exact load to try through my BPS 12. Lots of #1 shot in it, 1470FPS....let us know how it turns out for you.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby The Drake » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Many have posted the speed is about 1330-1350fps.....
The Drake
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:08 am

The load is pretty close to the kent fasteel 1 9/16 loads. The FIO runs about 1330 for most chronos, not even close to the near 1500fps they advertise. I have shot a handful and they kick like a MULE out of a gas 12ga semi-auto, just like the kent's do. They kill birds just fine. Since you are coupling it with a PM I get the hint that you plan to shoot a long ways? You may want to drop down to a 1 1/2 payload at 1500fps (federal speed shok is good!). It will still have plenty of #1 shot to kill a duck or goose and will have the speed to push that shot out there and bring the birds down. You could also just drop down to 1 1/4 #2 at 1400, which will be about equal to the 1 9/16 #1 in pellet count. (160 in the #1, 159 in the #2)

A guy I know swears by the fio speed steel. He shoots 3" 1 1/8 #1 at both ducks and geese with fantastic results, even with the severely reduced pellet count. I watched him go 3 for 3 on giants with that load, and all 3 were stone dead when they hit the ground.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby IowaYoungGuns » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks for the input! I hunt exclusively high pressure public grounds where a large majority of guys just skybust at the birds which makes for some tough hunting and quite a bit of pass shooting. I saw the fed. speed shok 1 1/2 #1s on sale at dunns, might take a closer look at them.
Thanks again.
IowaYoungGuns
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:43 am

Are you on the east side of Ia by chance? Presleys outdoors in bartonville IL had some great deals on ammo in their watefowl sale.
http://issuu.com/kellypresley/docs/2014catalogfinal

Another thing you may consider is taking a different approach to hunting the public land. The last 2 times I hunted public marsh we out shot the rest of the blinds 10 to 1. They were all running 4-10 doz decoys, multiple spinners, and calling like madmen. We put out 15 decoys, NO SPINNER, hid real good in the grass, and just single quacked a few times to get the bird's attention. Everyone else was skybusting and chasing cripples, we were shooting them as their feet touched the water. We were only 100 yards away. The birds would flare off all the decoys, go out over the river, then turn and come right back to us.

Not saying you are doing anything wrong, IA public land can be brutal on the weekends. Just giving some experience that may help someone this season.
BBK
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:52 am

BTW 1550fps 1's are lethal to about 68 yards. But please check your patterns at long range before taking the load on the field. PM chokes can be picky, especially with 1500fps loads.
BBK
hunter

Postby IowaYoungGuns » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:49 pm

BBK wrote:Are you on the east side of Ia by chance? Presleys outdoors in bartonville IL had some great deals on ammo in their watefowl sale.
http://issuu.com/kellypresley/docs/2014catalogfinal

Another thing you may consider is taking a different approach to hunting the public land. The last 2 times I hunted public marsh we out shot the rest of the blinds 10 to 1. They were all running 4-10 doz decoys, multiple spinners, and calling like madmen. We put out 15 decoys, NO SPINNER, hid real good in the grass, and just single quacked a few times to get the bird's attention. Everyone else was skybusting and chasing cripples, we were shooting them as their feet touched the water. We were only 100 yards away. The birds would flare off all the decoys, go out over the river, then turn and come right back to us.

Not saying you are doing anything wrong, IA public land can be brutal on the weekends. Just giving some experience that may help someone this season.

Yes sir, I'm about as far east you can get here, will check that place out for sure. You aren't kidding about how brutal some of the public land is here. Guys on top of each other skybusting, shooting at swinging birds and just screaming at birds. We tried mixing up tactics like you explained, some days with large spreads, spinners and and more calling, and also small spreads, no spinners and minimal calling. We saw a varied response, as some days they prefer one thing and the next day the opposite. I like going out during the middle of the week when possible, just to get a break from the crowd.
Thanks again for the input!
IowaYoungGuns
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:24 pm

Just an example of a pattern of the Fiocchi load from my Versamax with the Carlson .715. I believe this was the 50 yarder but it might of only been 40.

Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes