Best bang for the buck

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Best bang for the buck

Postby A_Winnie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:51 pm

I was wondering what y'all thought were the best shells for the price. Due to buying so many new decoys this year I will be cut short for my money for shells.
2014-2015 Season
A_Winnie
hunter

Re: Best bang for the buck

Postby d_money » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Well the best bang for the buck will usually land right around the fed blue box. They are basically the same price as xperts if u order them now and they are made of premium components not bottom of the barrel stuff like xperts. If u can find some nitro steel on discount right now they are a super shell.
d_money
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:49 am

Federal Speed Shok or Remington Sportsman. I have bought both recently for $100 a case or less for 3" 12 gauge.
z51
hunter

Postby fully_loaded » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:06 am

Check out the Kent Fasteel. They are normally on par pricewise with the others already mentioned ($13-14/box around here) but i found, through multiple rounds of patterning, that Kent uses the highest quality components and all the shot is perfectly semmetric and round, unlike the Xperts which remind me more of a box of Nerds than quality steel shot.
Wine Country DU Committee Member
fully_loaded
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:22 am

What are your hunting conditions? Seeing you bought a lot of decoys, I'll assume you hunt tolling birds. If that is the case, a 2-3/4" or 3" xpert in #2 or #3 with a factory IC or mod choke will kill ducks dead to 30 yards, no problem, every time if you do your part. Beyond that, I'd buy a good choke tube before an expensive shell. Pass shooting, sea ducks, big water, big geese.... that's different.

Joe
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:15 am

Some people place more emphasis on the bang, some on the buck. So answers will differ.

Good midrange (price-wise) shells are Remington Nitro-Steel and Kent. Personally, I use Remington Sportsman for 90% of my waterfowling, Nitro-Steel for the other 10%. Not afraid to try Federal Blue Box (bought a case a month ago at a good price), and have had excellent results in the past with Kent.
All depends on what your budget is.....and the results you've had with the shells you've been using. :huh:

Truth of the matter is: the shells you shoot are probably the least important component of your waterfowling success. But because they get so much advertising hype, and are so easy/cheap to change up, they seem to get a disproportionate amount of attention. Choke tubes will run a very close second. :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:43 am

I shoot almost exclusively handloads.

However I have shot alot of Kent and blue box federal speed shok. I would pick these over the xperts. Blue box are dirty. I have cut all three apart and the shot in xperts is sub par. Not only the nerds candy looking shot but also plated and non plated shot in the same shell. I used to shoot a lot of Winchester drylok as well but I have heard they have changed.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:48 am

If you have confidence in a light payload, you could try to find a case of remington nitro steel 2.75" 1 1/8 loads. They were floating the net last year at around $79.99 a case. I bought a case of 2's and did the best I have ever done on ducks last season. For 8 bucks a box, you can't go wrong. If you have confidence in them and they pattern well that is.

Otherwise find a case of federal speed-shok 1 1/4 #2, 3, or 4s depending on range and species targeted. I believe they are going for around $115 a case this year at sale price.

If you are going to buy by the box, then consider
kent fasteel
federal speed shok
remington sportsman steel
estate high velocity

Any of those would be an easy buy for me if it is under $14 a box. I would avoid xpert, but I do like the old super-x drylok (not super-x xpert).. but you won't find that for less than $18-19 a box.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes