Patterning Paper

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Patterning Paper

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:17 pm

What do you guys typically use? Where do you get it?
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Re: Patterning Paper

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:39 pm

I go to the local newspaper shop and get "end rolls" for free. They are 30" or 36" wide and often 50-100 feet long. Their newspaper rolls also come with thin cardboard covers on the ends which can also make good targets.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:37 pm

Grocery stores have produce arrive on pallets and in layers that are separated by pieces of cardboard the size of a pallet, they are only to happy to give me all I want and for free................
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:51 pm

I have found similar product to Lost. I go to a high volume store like Costco and get the thin cardboard (paper) sheets. They are in between the paper towels and toilet paper layers. I take a pallet (free) I get from the back of any store and a heavy duty staple gun. So far this is the cheapest, fastest, and easiest way I found to pattern loads. There's a added benefit to the heavy paper. Once shot, you can flip it over and it gives you a physical as well as better visual to the pattern. Especially nice when using small shot.
"We're calling, because the birds won't respond to texts."- Jim Ronquest, RNT-V
Columbia Basin, home of the sagebrush duck blind!
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Computer paper, enough sheets to cover the board with masking tape holding them together on the seams.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby TexasGeese » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Home depot has the brown paper rolls that are 30" or so wide. I made a large frame out of wood and just staple the roll to the top and run it down. Then do the same for the other side to make it about 60" wide. The next pattern sheet is just stapled on top of the last. It's very quick to set up.
TexasGeese
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:13 pm

lostknife4 wrote:Grocery stores have produce arrive on pallets and in layers that are separated by pieces of cardboard the size of a pallet, they are only to happy to give me all I want and for free................
Lost

This is where I get all mine.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:51 am

You guys have it rough, I've never had to pay for it or hunt any down. Our Conservation Department has several ranges throughout the state and all of them have very nice shotgun patterning ranges.
For $3 you get the use of the range and all the patterning paper you can use for an hour minimum or till the next person comes wanting to use the range, there are some days that I have shot for several hours when no one else wanted the use of it.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby jmill9 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:14 am

BT Justice wrote:You guys have it rough, I've never had to pay for it or hunt any down. Our Conservation Department has several ranges throughout the state and all of them have very nice shotgun patterning ranges.
For $3 you get the use of the range and all the patterning paper you can use for an hour minimum or till the next person comes wanting to use the range, there are some days that I have shot for several hours when no one else wanted the use of it.

So you did pay for it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may be a redneck but I ain't a hilljack.
jmill9
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:15 am

I use the back of Xmas gift wrapping paper.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:28 am

snapshotmd wrote:I use the back of Xmas gift wrapping paper.

^^^this^^^

I get a few rolls of cheap wrapping paper on after the Holidays deals from Wal Mart and they work great. A large roll will do many patterns and can be had for a couple bucks.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Paulinkansas » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:21 am

Resin paper. It's like construction paper you used in grade school. Comes on a roll 4' wide and about 100' long. I let a guy from a lumberyard use my components and reloader to make his own steel shells and he gives me the resin paper.
Paulinkansas
hunter

Postby grnhd » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:09 pm

Yep, the back of wrapping paper that my wife bought on sale.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby KyMike » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:36 pm

snapshotmd wrote:I use the back of Xmas gift wrapping paper.

This^^^. Some paper has 1"grids on the back that helps in measuring
KyMike
hunter

Postby ohsay » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:47 pm

I like that wrapping paper idea. Money saver, but I don't think they'd store very well compared to the plastic/vinyl table cloth rolls. If you just want a quick glimpse at how they pattern, wrapping paper might do you right. You can get that stuff for $0.50 a roll after the holidays. Never even thought of using it.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:49 am

jmill9 wrote:
BT Justice wrote:You guys have it rough, I've never had to pay for it or hunt any down. Our Conservation Department has several ranges throughout the state and all of them have very nice shotgun patterning ranges.

So you did pay for it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but the way I feel about it for the type of facility it is it's donation money to keep the place open.
They have four Trap and Skeet ranges, a 21 station 100 yard Rifle/Pistol range, the Shotgun Patterning range and an Archery range at the facility I go to. Any one of them you just get charged $3 to use and they are very well maintained, not to mention it's only 15 minutes from the house.
And I get all the empty hulls and brass I can carry home for free..... :biggrin:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby grnhd » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:57 pm

ohsay wrote:I like that wrapping paper idea. Money saver, but I don't think they'd store very well compared to the plastic/vinyl table cloth rolls. If you just want a quick glimpse at how they pattern, wrapping paper might do you right. You can get that stuff for $0.50 a roll after the holidays. Never even thought of using it.

I've got patterns I shot 15 years ago on wrapping paper. Keep the mice out of them and they store very well.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:14 pm

Check your local Paint Store. The Local Rodda Paints store sells Multiple size rolls Of masking Paper. 48" x 700 + feet for about $40. It comes in Half rolls also I believe 48"x300+
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby Jmorris » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:41 am

I use the 4x4 cardboard flats that come on pallets. If I don't have any of those, red rosin paper from the hardware store. 4x250 roll is about $8.
Jmorris
hunter

Postby On the X » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:18 am

Red resin paper and the brown masking paper sold at Lowes and home depot isn't 48 " it 's 36" wide.
On the X
hunter

Postby Jmorris » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:17 am

On the X wrote:Red resin paper and the brown masking paper sold at Lowes and home depot isn't 48 " it 's 36" wide.

You are correct but the rolls at our local small town lumber yard/hardware store are 48 inches. I believe the rolls sold at home depot/lowes are only 160-175 feet rolls as well and 36 inches. Even at that, cheap pattern paper.
Jmorris
hunter

Postby Swiftks » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:38 am

Just patterned my gun last weekend using this:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Winche ... info/WPTD/

Love the multiple 30" circles so I can see where the majority of my shot is going.
Swiftks
Newb

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes