Best choke and shot size combo for geese with 20 gauge

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Best choke and shot size combo for geese with 20 gauge

Postby Waterfowlchild » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:36 pm

What's your guys opinion my wife will be hunting this year and is shootin a Remington 20 gauge. Never dealt with the 20 just lookin for another persons opinion. Thanks
Waterfowlchild
Newb

Re: Best choke and shot size combo for geese with 20 gauge

Postby Honkerblaster » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Xxxfull with 1oz of F shot
To kill your targeted game bird at long range effectively your shotgun must shoot pellets that have the energy to kill at the max range you will be shooting. To kill consistently the load should also be choked correctly to achieve enough pattern density.
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:25 pm

#4 Hevi Shot out of a mod. or imp/cyl. will probably kill as well as anything you use. Its kinda pricey but success really helps with a newbe. Second choice is 1 oz.of twos. Same chokes. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Waterfowlchild » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks for the help! I know birds on the ground definitely help with someone new to the crazy world of waterfowl!
Waterfowlchild
Newb

Postby BBK » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:46 am

Kent impact 1 1/8 #3 is what Pops bought for me when I first started waterfowl hunting. Killed my first 3 or 4 geese with it, then moved on to the 12. The 3's killed just as well as the steel #BB the rest of the guys were shooting. Modified choke.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:22 am

I've been using the 20 a lot the last few years. My preference is a 1 oz load of #2s (Nitros). I've tried #1s but can't get them to pattern decent and the 7/8 oz load patterns seem to get a bit thin. I use a mod and light mod choke out of my O/U.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:30 am

I believe the best application for the expensive tungsten shot is for people who want to use a subgauge shotgun for big birds.
Try the high-density loads in as heavy a payload as you can find, shot through a fairly tight choke to keep the pattern density up. Shot size isn't that important with the HD stuff, but I'd stay small: 3's or 4's.
After that, it's up to the wife to put the pattern on them.
mudpack
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:34 pm

ohio mike wrote:#4 Hevi Shot out of a mod. or imp/cyl. will probably kill as well as anything you use. Its kinda pricey but success really helps with a newbe. Second choice is 1 oz.of twos. Same chokes. Good luck. :thumbsup:

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Over about a 7 year run I shot upwards of 500+ rounds of Hevi shot 1 1/4 oz 20 gauge load's of 4 shot for geese only. The stuff, if choked right (in her case probable IC or cylinder depending of the range of the geese) will wreck any goose out to 40 and tightened up well past 50 yards. Like Ohio said its pricy but its the best 20 gauge factory load out there for geese :thumbsup:

Yep Shaun I just recommended a Hevi shot load for someone...................oh crap am I prostaffer now for EMI :eek: :no: :eek: :no:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby skb20 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Been hunting large Canadas over decoys and low pass with 3" 20 ga. for over 20 years now. Past 5 or 6 years -- Fed Premium "ultra shok", 1 oz. #1's (~1350 fps). IC - LM tubes (even MOD often runs too tight under 40 yards, IMO). Previously, Fed, Win, or Rem, 1 oz steel 2's, also 1300-1350'ish fps. No "night and day" sort of difference, but the #1's do seem to exercise just a bit more "authority". Front-end hits, they are dead, out to 40 yards.

Good luck. Have fun.
skb20
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes