Here they are HW13 4 shot patterns

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Here they are HW13 4 shot patterns

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:57 am

As the other thread has drifted off course (no surprise there :rolleyes: of course it really didn't have one :lol: ) I have decided to start another and add just what it looks like when I am patterning. The bad news is I checked the weather last night and it called for wind starting in the middle of the night and blowing hard all day. Well I slept in because of this thinking that there would be no point in trying today. When I woke up and went outside it just happened that it was dead calm so I hurried and got ready and ran for the wash. When I got there the breeze was just starting and by the time I fired the last round I had to wait for a break in the wind, so I only got off 5 rounds before I was blown out.

Now for the pics.

The junk lined out on the back of the tail gate.

The 60 yard paper with my truck being at the 40ish yard mark at its front end. The paper is 48"x56". The pic is wide angle to give kind of a way to reference just how dam far 60 really is for those who aren't sure :wink:

60 from narrow field of view.

The 30 yard paper which is 46"x52" from the 30 yard mark.

Ok now for the patterns. I use my 6d for high res for you guys on these instead of the cell phone pics. I marked everything outside of the 30" circle also so you can see how fast the fliers migrate out of the patterns as the distance increases and then how the core blooms at a more consistent rate. I think its a pretty good series to in which to see this.

30 yards

40 yards

50 yards

and two at 60 with the wind kind of getting me on one of them :mad:

I have no doubt in my mind that these will flatten a goose out to 60 if I can put them on one. Of course at 30 any duck or goose will be Swiss cheese. And before you say it BT, yes I wish these were a little faster but I can see where there is only so much room for shot and powder in this little 28 hull and something has to give. I would not want to give up any pellets for anymore speed as even at 1100 fps this stuff would still flatten a goose to 50 :thumbsup: :beer:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Here they are HW13 4 shot patterns

Postby 3200 man » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Wow good work Jesse ! Those patterns do show the effective range of the little 28 , we can only wish to be shooting
next to a much Bigger gun so we can say , I told you so ! I can imagine faster loads getting to the target quicker but , with a
good steady follow-through after a nice even trigger pull , a sandwich , cold beer , then watching the bird fold in flight , 1100
fps is fast enough ? :yes: :lol3:
I assume these were reloaded with the same recipe you gave me ?
I'll have to give them a try ! I know I can , I know I can toot toot ...... :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:21 pm

3200 man wrote:Wow good work Jesse ! Those patterns do show the effective range of the little 28 , we can only wish to be shooting
next to a much Bigger gun so we can say , I told you so ! I can imagine faster loads getting to the target quicker but , with a
good steady follow-through after a nice even trigger pull , a sandwich , cold beer , then watching the bird fold in flight , 1100
fps is fast enough ? :yes: :lol3:
I assume these were reloaded with the same recipe you gave me ?
I'll have to give them a try ! I know I can , I know I can toot toot ...... :lol3:

Yes these are the 16.5 grains of steel powder, 1 oz of HW13 shot at 1180 FPS listed. I didn't chrono so I don't know if the speed is true as advertised. Could try the lilgun load with the 7/8 oz loading but hell with this kind of density, lots of speed is not required :wink: :yes: :yes:

Edit, no nc41 under the shot was needed. the 437 grains of shot filled the wad perfectly :thumbsup: I am guessing the batch of shot I got may be more like 12.5 ish g/cm3 :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Toasty » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:31 pm

Great patterns, no doubt they will bring down geese. I am surprised at how well they hold together for 60 yards, I guess that is the big advantage of high density shot. I think you picked the right data, no need to speed these up, they have enough penetration at 1180 to bring them down at 60 yards. I wonder what those #4s will do the goose bands when you hit them?
Toasty
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes