Shot Shell De-Loader

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Shot Shell De-Loader

Postby BT Justice » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:58 am

Need some opinions here .
I've been working on this for a while and finally have a design down that pretty much meets my goals of de-loading shells and being able to save all the components, hulls and primer, shot, powder, wads.
It pretty much will bolt right on to most presses and you can de-load a box of shells in about 30 minutes or less.
Question is would it be something that would be marketable, figure you guys would give some good opinions.
BT Justice
hunter

Re: Shot Shell De-Loader

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:31 am

I'd use it :thumbsup:
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:55 am

My question would be , how long would it last , as there are times in between the ring bulges and the bad crimps ,
with a dental pick and sweaty hands the cost saving I pay for Band-aids......mite be worth it ? :yes: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Postby ohsay » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:19 am

It's probably something that you should feel very proud of accomplishing and just enjoy using. The market for it would be amazingly small.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:34 am

The demand would depend heavily on the price.
Devices to remove all the components (except the primer) quickly and easily without tying up the reloading machine, are on the market now, for very little money.
Will yours remove the primer without damaging it for further use? If so, you may have a viable product.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:41 am

Depending on the price, I'd use it.
Although I'd be have to suspend this no-mistakes policy I have, since trying to fix a mistake is pretty much admission that it happened at all.
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:04 pm

In my experience, 50+ years, the biggest problem in "unloading" shells is opening the crimp and saving it. I currently use a very pointed pair of needle nose pliers and do well with those. It isn't often that I need to "unload" any rounds, but when the occasion arises, what else to do. As for your invention, I'd say many, or most, re-loaders would be interested. For me to unload a box of shells takes a helluva lot longer than 30 minutes. As Mud stated, the going price and ease of use would be important. Myself, I wouldn't want to have to disassemble anything on my Mec Size-Masters to use the product tho. Course, that's just me. I'll spend the extra time w/ my pliers before I mess with my reloaders.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:07 am

Thanks for the input, and why I asked was I am of the opinion that it would be a very limited market for the product also.

I made the de loader because of all the load testing and "That Ain't Gonna Work" loads I have had, it seems we get some crazy ideas sometimes and try them out.

For DDChuck.. I wouldn't go taking anything apart on my presses either, the tool I made just bolts into the pre crimp station on most presses, which is the easiest part to remove and replace without messing up the adjustment.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:25 am

I have a small Craftsman phillips head screwdriver that works great for opening up the crimps on 12 ga shells.

The tip pf the screwdriver opens up the crimp real easy once I figured out how to do it. The handle part of the screwdriver opens up the crimp all the way so you can pull the wad out with needle nose pliers if you want to.

By turning the hull while the screwdriver handle is down inside the hull at an angle iy opens up the hull all the way.

Once I got the nack of how to use this screwdriver I could open up the crimps on 100 shells in not very much time at all.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:01 pm

I have been using a "D-Loader" that I bought from BPI over 25 years ago, it cuts the hull in half about, but I have lots of hulls. For De-loading the Lead loaded ammo I use a carpet knife and a shot/powder bar that the hull just fits through and cut the fold crimp off and then deload and reload with Steel powders and components and use a RTO, a roll turn over crimp on top of an O/S card.
Using an Ice pick and a screwdriver it was just to hard on the hands.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:24 pm

I'd buy one!
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:46 am

derbyacresbob wrote:I have a small Craftsman phillips head screwdriver that works great for opening up the crimps on 12 ga shells.
Once I got the nack of how to use this screwdriver I could open up the crimps on 100 shells in not very much time at all.

Yup everybody pretty much knows the screwdriver trick, but other than pulling your guts out with a pair of pliers how do you get the wads out without damaging the hulls or the wads???
That's the trick and what I made the tool I came up with for.
BTW you can make a separator for getting the buffer out from the shot from an old shaker top spice bottle and the correct size/ letter drill bit...gave you that one... :wink:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:57 am

BT when are you going to have some ready for sale and what is the cost, I'm definitely interested in purchasing one based on your description and obvious well thought out design.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:19 am

Wow ! With Bill offering to buy this invention ,without , asking if you wanted him to endorse it for a free one , says a lot
for his confidence in you Joe ! He must need to replace some TSS with some good round steel shot...... :yes:

What better fella could you have promoting a tool like this ? :lol3: :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:51 am

3200 man wrote:Wow ! With Bill offering to buy this invention ,without , asking if you wanted him to endorse it for a free one , says a lot
for his confidence in you Joe ! He must need to replace some TSS with some good round steel shot...... :yes:

What better fella could you have promoting a tool like this ? :lol3: :thumbsup:

I think I'll just send him pictures of what I made up and he can go from there, after some thought I don't think there would be much of a market for it and it would cost me more than it was worth to produce these.
Besides replacing TSS with steel shot ??? ...Blasphemy I say......... :lol3: :lol3:
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:18 am

I am reading with increased regularity of reloaders de-loading ammo to get the shot to use in other gauges and for other reasons so I believe that although it may be a niche market there is a demand for a product that does what BT says it does. At least if it ever goes to market the customers will be told the truth, not like some marketing propaganda that seems to be filling a lot of posts in the past.
"Besides replacing TSS with steel shot ??? ...Blasphemy I say........" Absof.....glutely !!!!!!!!!!!!
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:13 am

lostknife4 wrote:I am reading with increased regularity of reloaders de-loading ammo to get the shot to use in other gauges and for other reasons so I believe that although it may be a niche market there is a demand for a product that does what BT says it does. At least if it ever goes to market the customers will be told the truth, not like some marketing propaganda that seems to be filling a lot of posts in the past.
"Besides replacing TSS with steel shot ??? ...Blasphemy I say........" Absof.....glutely !!!!!!!!!!!!
Lost

What your saying Lost is the truth, when Remington discontinued the HD Home Defense loads, I bought a bunch of them.
I figured it out roughly after deducting for cost the hulls, wads, primers and powder(which is better off disposed of) the shot cost me around $12.60 a pound which is a very good price for any tungsten based shot. It's even getting that way with lead shot loads, local Wal Mart had Federal value pak of 100 12 ga 1 1/8 oz loads on sale for $18.99, figuring it out it's about break even on the components right now.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Added to that BT it's a question about actually being able to get those components as components and not loaded ammo. I am using odd powder and shotcups that I have had for years because I cant get the components that I have run out of so its a de-load situation for me, especially 10 ga.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:13 am

lostknife4 wrote:Added to that BT it's a question about actually being able to get those components as components and not loaded ammo. I am using odd powder and shotcups that I have had for years because I cant get the components that I have run out of so its a de-load situation for me, especially 10 ga.
Lost

I wished we lived a bit closer I could hook you up with extra's I have after collecting things for 35 years.
Here's the bench after I finished and trashed it like always, I still have boxes full uf stuff I have to put up on shelves, top shelf above bench is nothing but wads, Metallic loading station is on left, cabinets on well are repurposed blast cabinets for powder storage and enough light for once.
Cannon was correct there will never be enough room.... :lol3:
BT Justice
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes