Since no one else can produce, Hevi steel patterns

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

Since no one else can produce, Hevi steel patterns

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Here ya go boys. Browning Citori satin Hunter. 28" barrel, Carlson ext mod and IM tubes. 40 yards post scribed.

I only had 4 scrap sheets due to work with the 28 ga project so I can only give you 4 patterns total.

Hevi steel 1 1/4 oz 2 shot and fiocchi max steel 1 1/5 oz 3 shot. I got the fiocchi because I wanted them and the Hevi just to pattern. All I could find was bb, 2, and 4 shot loading so this is not an apples to Apple's comparison but more hevi steel patterns then I have seen yet.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Have fun boys.
Last edited by hamernhonkers on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Since no else can produce

Postby Honkerblaster » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:35 pm

Those are beautiful patterns, very nice :thumbsup:
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:40 am

Great patterns with both products using the Modified tube. The IM may be a bit too much for both loads...Interesting!
zpstl321
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:03 am

I was also surprised by the results of the IM tube.................of course it was only one shot though. Maybe if I get more time and paper I will mess with them a little more.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Seaark18 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:28 pm

They are all nice patterns. I'm really surprised that the IM tube didn't do better. I really like the Fiocchi load with the Mod tube.
Seaark18
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Seaark18 wrote:They are all nice patterns. I'm really surprised that the IM tube didn't do better. I really like the Fiocchi load with the Mod tube.

I have to disagree, an average rule of thumb is that a full choke should throw approx 70% of its payload in a 30" circle at 40 yards, as a rule of thumb a modified should throw approx 60% at 40, this has been accepted for years as the rule of thumb. His patterns with an improved modified are averaging around the mid 70s, plus they are even as well as dense patterns. There is nothing to complain about here.
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby billybob123 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:43 pm

I'm going to test the fiocchi steel max from scheels on each of my guns. They're all fixed choke. Full, improved modified, modified and improved cylinder. Whichever gives the best consistent and highest % pattern combination is going to get the marsh time this fall
billybob123
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Honkerblaster wrote:
Seaark18 wrote:They are all nice patterns. I'm really surprised that the IM tube didn't do better. I really like the Fiocchi load with the Mod tube.

I have to disagree, an average rule of thumb is that a full choke should throw approx 70% of its payload in a 30" circle at 40 yards, as a rule of thumb a modified should throw approx 60% at 40, this has been accepted for years as the rule of thumb. His patterns with an improved modified are averaging around the mid 70s, plus they are even as well as dense patterns. There is nothing to complain about here.

It isn't the % coverage that is the issue, it is the major holes in the pattern. They show a classic over choked pattern.
zpstl321
hunter

Postby grnhd » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:53 pm

Hammern...you didn't happen to weigh one of those 1 1/2 loads did you? Curious if they had a true 1 1/2oz of shot in them.
Nobody gives a crap about your season totals.
grnhd
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:18 pm

grnhd wrote:Hammern...you didn't happen to weigh one of those 1 1/2 loads did you? Curious if they had a true 1 1/2oz of shot in them.

I didn't. I will cut one tonight after work, weigh it and post pic of its contents.
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Honkerblaster » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:58 pm

zpstl321 wrote:
Honkerblaster wrote:

It isn't the % coverage that is the issue, it is the major holes in the pattern. They show a classic over choked pattern.

Could you perhaps show us a pattern of your own that is better? Those looks like very nice patterns that would have no problems killing birds at 40 yards.
Honkerblaster
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Well 150 pellets with flax seed buffer.

ImageImageImageImage
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Well I got 4 small sheets of paper and put the 20ga hevi steel load on them. Winchester sx3 with Carlson ext IM and Weatherby sa08 with a Carlson ext MOD.

ImageImageImageImage
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks. Looks like they are using Winchester Type commercial powder. Hard to tell what wad it is by the picture. Standard steel shot, Looks the same as everyone else's lower line steel. Cheddite type hull. Kind of a Frankenstein load, Winchester/Kent
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:25 pm

baltz526 wrote:Thanks. Looks like they are using Winchester Type commercial powder. Hard to tell what wad it is by the picture. Standard steel shot, Looks the same as everyone else's lower line steel. Cheddite type hull. Kind of a Frankenstein load, Winchester/Kent

One thing to note tonight with the 20 bore load. 3 of the shots were a nice soft punch. The 4th round really bit me. I may have had the gun mounted poorly but...................?
I sure felt that one. :(
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby zpstl321 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:07 am

What is that glob mess in the power? Had the shells been exposed to water?
zpstl321
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:26 am

zpstl321 wrote:What is that glob mess in the power? Had the shells been exposed to water?

Not by me. They were bought, placed in the trunk of the car and driven home, then right into the ammo storage box. It took a lot of pounding on the shell to get all the powder out of it.
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:51 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:
zpstl321 wrote:What is that glob mess in the power? Had the shells been exposed to water?

Not by me. They were bought, placed in the trunk of the car and driven home, then right into the ammo storage box. It took a lot of pounding on the shell to get all the powder out of it.
Exactly like a Winchester powder shell would be. Fresh powder compacted hard, Clumps like that.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Re: Since no one else can produce, Hevi steel patterns

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Hammer,

Many thanx for posting up all the work you did.

Of the four (4) 12 gauge patterns, the Fiocchi appear to present the fewest holes/gaps and did so with fewer pellets. Hmmm.

I agree with Baltz assessment in that EMI has apparently cobbled a load together using the old AMC approach of components from a variety of sources.

They even use the "old" (real) Hevi Steel hulls. :lame:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:04 am

thanks for posting and spending your time doing so...when i get the hevi-steel loads in i will add some patterns to this post.

goose
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:14 am

Your welcome boy's.

I will try to get more pattern work done with them maybe this weekend when I am at my other home and have more then the one 12 available.

I am thinking the Versamax (which seems to pattern most things well) will do a better job with these.
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:42 pm

We'll done, sir. Are you running factory tubes in that rem?
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:02 pm

cannon wrote:We'll done, sir. Are you running factory tubes in that rem?

I have Carlson's 710, 715, and 725 to play with along with the factory mod lol.
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:09 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:

I've been itching to buy a set. I've been running a $16 Rem brand factory mod because I refuse to run flush mounts in anything I duck hunt with, but to my shame, I still haven't patterned the thing.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:08 pm

cannon wrote:
hamernhonkers wrote:

I've been itching to buy a set. I've been running a $16 Rem brand factory mod because I refuse to run flush mounts in anything I duck hunt with, but to my shame, I still haven't patterned the thing.

I think there worth the money. Its fun to fine tune a pattern with them and they cover it pretty well.
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes