??? WANT TO START RELOADING ???

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

??? WANT TO START RELOADING ???

Postby pennsyltucky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:07 pm

id like to have a go-to thread for the guys who come on here lookin for info about starting reloading.... if you guys have any advise for the newbies, post up your best advise :biggrin: it would be nice if a few of you "old salts" could do a little write up on what to get and how to get started reloading... also, if you look back thru threads, and u find a good one, you can link to it here.

this may lessen all the repetitive posts that get lost, and also, any newbies to reloading can just post up here :thumbsup:

heres my list of thread to read:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=68944
Last edited by pennsyltucky on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby ohsay » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:27 pm

This is an excellent idea. Hopefully one of the regulars with more motivation than I will make a nice lengthy 'get started' guide. Do you think it will get noticed though? I never seem to notice the stickies. Do newcomers?
2009/10 Season Totals:
doves-15
greenheads-53
bluebills-8
pintails-8
redheads-7
widgeon-23
gadwall-8
woodies-3
teal-13
goldeneyes-9
snow geese-18
canadas-102

turkeys-6
coyotes-51
bocats-3
badger-1

and my very first deer, should have done it decades ago
ohsay
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:38 pm

I have been a member on DHC for a while, and have been interested in getting into reloading. I just have no idea what i am doing or how to get started or if it really saves money etc. I read the posts you guys put up and am completely lost with all the jargon and technical data and assume it is something that is way beyond my capabilities. I would love a "How to" or "Getting started" sticky written by someone with alot of experience and know how. Would love to do it but just am totally lost at ground zero. i think it would be a great idea
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby pennsyltucky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:56 pm

my advise to ALL beginners is: get a book. get a book....

this one is the one i always suggest because its about the best ive read.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Reload ... 135/?itm=1

once you have that book, this whole process is simple :thumbsup:

ill add to this later when i have more time, but for now, get that book :biggrin: you dont have to get it from there, as its cheaper on other sites, but get it. consider it the required textbook for my class :rofl:
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby cannon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Since I'm a new hand, I'd add that one of my major frustrations is that MEC's manuals are fairly poorly illustrated, and if you don't know what a "crimping cam adjustment bolt" is, the crimping process can be a crappy experience, even with lead. The manual points to a part number, but you have to shift back and forth between MEC's illustrations and their parts list to figure out what they're talking about.

Someone recently posted a link to ballistic products describing helpful hints on how to prevent buckling. I wish I'd have seen that cite before I killed so many AA's and GM's learning the hard way. :hammer: Point being, I'd advise anyone considering this money pit of a hobby to read every thread available about crimps before diving into the skillful art of hull killing.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby buckshot5792 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:20 am

When I wanted to start I went up to our local reloading store and asked an associate want I needed for what i wanted to do. He showed me books on reloading with formulas in it this and that, optional stuff and the essentials. It cost me about $250 to get started and it is so much fun. I'm only 16, so if I can do it so can you. I was 14 when started.
Nothin runs like a Deere, NOTHIN stops 'em like a Browning!
Drop that tailgate, show 'em what it's all about.
THWACK...It's a bowhunting thing, you wouldn't understand.
buckshot5792
hunter

Postby berserkr » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:23 pm

This is just what I am looking for. I hope you can get it started!! I will be watching for it. Thanks
berserkr
Newb

Postby ivegotthefever » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:19 pm

I went thru several sites looking at the reviews for the Reloading for Shotgunners book with many of them being negative. Is there another manual you would recommend? I understand the process, I just want some loading data for waterfowl rounds.
ivegotthefever
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:20 pm

only negative is that it doesnt have a section on hull ID. get a used one and post up wether or not you think it was worth the 10 bucks :thumbsup: and no, i dont know of a better book for a beginner to buy.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:17 am

I agree with getting a reloading book or manual first.

It will give you lots of good info about the world of steel.

Getting equipment and supplies is the secong step.........
be it E-bay, online,sporting good stores or friends that you might shoot with.

I load just 2 3/4" 12 Ga since hulls are cheap at my local gun club,
a clay target box full for only $10.

The hard part is figuring out what size pellet to use and what payload............... and if you really care, putting the loads on paper to see how they pattern.

Good shooting.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby magnum » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:59 pm

I think that is a great idea. I've been handloading for 24 yrs and about 3yrs ago bought a new MEC steelmaster 3 1/2 and I love it. Reloading specialties inc. has a very good loading manual for steelshot. I would be happy to help if I can. :hammer:
magnum
hunter

Postby goosenoose » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:50 pm

one word of advice for handloading. Make sure you invest in a grains scale along with your press cant trust the universal bars or bushings for accurate weight on different types of shot/size and powders.
Goose hunters shoot bigger loads.
goosenoose
hunter

Re: ??? WANT TO START RELOADING ???

Postby Norsky » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:57 pm

I would have to say the hardest thing for me to learn was getting the cam and crimp starter set to make crimps. I wish some one had told me that they both work together. I crimp the hull until it is about the size that it would hold a wood school pencil and finish it with the last station. They work together and the Mec manual is misleading in that it leads you to believe that it is all in the cam or depth setting adjustments. Also the more cam you have it allows for the taper in the finished shell that allows for auto's to cycle better.
Norsky
hunter

Postby Ned S » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:51 pm

Here is the way I set my Mec Crimp station and start Crimp. I have a spindex and set the start crimp so it has a hole the size of a #2 wood lead (graphite) pencil. I then back the ram part out on the final crimp station and place a factory AA load under it with the handle down and then screw the ram down until it is finger tight against the AA load. Then raise the handle and give the ram another full turn and lock the ram with the locking nut. I use this setting for all hulls which gives the GM a slight swirl. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Re:

Postby pitted bore » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:55 am

ivegotthefever wrote:I went thru several sites looking at the reviews for the Reloading for Shotgunners book with many of them being negative. Is there another manual you would recommend?

A manual universally recommended on other sites, and on other threads at this site, is Lyman's fifth edition of Shotshell Reloading Handbook.

--Bob
pitted bore
Newb

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 pm

What about equipment to get started with? Any recommendations? Is Lee's load all (lets face it at 42 bucks it is tempting to anyone considering getting into reloading) worth spending any money on or would you recommend going ahead and buying another reloader?
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby buckbuster » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm new to reloading, but I'll pass a few things on that I have learned, so you don't have to waste time and money. IMO
1. If you plan on loading 12 gauge, you need to buy 20 gauge felts for under/over shot, not 12 gauge-because that would make too much sense :huh:
2. Overshot cards are a waste of money. A torn piece of paper will do the same thing, besides I have noticed no difference on the crimps with or without them
3. Each company toots their own horn. You will have to order a reloading manual for each brand of wad you order
4. Pre-slit wads are are not evenly slit, space wise or depth wise.
5. For 3" shells, you don't just need 3" wads, you also need 2 3/4" for certain recipies(See end of # 1)
I have a single stage Mec, and thought I needed the steel conversion kit :fingerpt: I would recommend hand weighing shot and powder-the loader never throws the same charge(especially when using Alliant Steel Powder)
6. I bought 3" Fiocchi pre-primed hulls. They look great, but with only 1 published load using Steel(which has blowbye problems) there a little worthless to me.
7. Everyone has a different opinion on components and loads. Take it all, test at the range, and then form your own opinion. Everyone's equipment, terrain, and expectations are different.
8. It is the most frustating, yet completely satisfying hobbie ive undertaken. My handloads to this point have patterened better then store ammo, have higher velocities, and cost @ 10 a box. Beats 20 a box for the premium stuff!
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some game"...Genesis 27:3
buckbuster
hunter

Postby Steel Rain » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:23 pm

What kind of investment is required to get started? I'm interested but don't know anything about it. I found a reloader for $75 bucks. It looks brand new. The seller has it listed for $175 but said he'd take $75. Anyhow, it's set up for 10 gauge loads and I'm not sure if you can convert it to 12 gauge, what scale I need, etc. I asked a salesman at Gander Mtn. about reloading and he told me he didn't know anything and neither did anyone else there. Not a lot of help. I appreciate any help.
"Being born free is a privelege. Dying free is a responsibility."
Steel Rain
hunter

Postby buckbuster » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:57 am

Investment can really vary. Id say $300 would get you started good. You can buy a used mec on ebay for around or under $100. Get a press in the size desired. Its easier then getting conversion kits right of the bat. I have a mec versa-mec. It does 2 3/4" or 3" 12 guage. I recommend a good book. I read Lymans 4th edition (5th edition is now out). For steel shells, I recommend status of steel from Ballistic Products inc., and Reloading Specialties Inc. Steel book. Then get a good scale, around $30 to $50 will suffice. You will need hulls, primers, powder, wads, felt spacers, and shot. After reading the books, decide on load combintions you would like to try, and order the right components and start loading. I ordered components and books at same time, but found out I ordered some wrong stuff and had to exchage it. Your local Sporting goods store should have primer and powder. Powder is about $20 a pound, and primers are about $3 to $5 a hundred. Steel wads are about $9 to $13 a hundred. 20 gauge 1/8" felts are about $9 for 250. Shot runs about $17 for 10lbs (steel). Ive found that primers and powder are best to find locally as shipping is outrages for them, but for other steel components you will have to order. Buying in bulk is cheaper, and reloading lead is cheaper yet. If you can't wait to start, PM me with what hulls you want to use and I can give you components for a few loads to order. I will forewarn you that it is easily addictive! Rsi components need to be ordered through www.buckrunsports.com, but you have to phone in. Hope this helps. I was new to this 3 months ago, so if I can do it, anyone can! :thumbsup:
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some game"...Genesis 27:3
buckbuster
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:12 pm

pennsyltucky wrote:id like to have a go-to thread for the guys who come on here lookin for info about starting reloading.... if you guys have any advise for the newbies, post up your best advise :biggrin: it would be nice if a few of you "old salts" could do a little write up on what to get and how to get started reloading... also, if you look back thru threads, and u find a good one, you can link to it here.

this may lessen all the repetitive posts that get lost, and also, any newbies to reloading can just post up here :thumbsup:

heres my list of thread to read:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=68944

pennsyltucky, you're link is broken. It takes you to the main forum page.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Steel Rain » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks for the information. It sounds like I should put this hobby off for a little while. I'm very interested but with four younglings running around it's hard enough just getting out to hunt. I guess for now I can just start reading up and getting myself educated. Thanks again and I'll keep reading your informative posts. :beer:
"Being born free is a privelege. Dying free is a responsibility."
Steel Rain
hunter

Postby FranknBeans » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:44 pm

I was wondering about wads: I see BucksRun sells the Sam1's split and unsplit.. is there a ballistic advantage making your own splits? I haven't gotten a manual yet so just shooting in the dark for now haha.
Tree Huggers can kick rocks.
FranknBeans
hunter

Postby H.Doc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:45 pm

Can't comment on the ballistic advantage of split(consistent?) vs. unsplit wads. For me the proof is at the pattern board, having used both wad styles and multiple velocities, I prefer 1450 fps with split sam1 wads through older SBE
H.Doc
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:28 pm

The merits of an unslit wad are that you can slit them the way you want them. I know a few people buy unslit multi metals and slit them to have three petals to a certain depth. Makes them pattern better.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Ned S » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:29 am

Rob Macks pictorial procedure on reloading at "home" on the forum is the best I have seen. Thanks Rob. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Next

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes