??? WANT TO START RELOADING ???

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Re: ??? WANT TO START RELOADING ???

Postby Rob MacK » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:26 pm

You're welcome Ned. If you or anyone else would like a copy in pdf format send me a PM and I will send it to you.

Cheers

Rob MacK
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby FeatherFanatic » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:19 pm

OK i just got started last week loaded my first box of shells last night, im gunna go test them out in about 20 mins. Now where is the cheepest place to get the components, im only intrested in loading 2 3/4" target loads for the time being. I been using AA hulls and wads and Red dot powerded. Thanks
R.I.P Dusty miller
You can never have to much money, calls, guns or honey holes
FeatherFanatic
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:01 pm

Powder and primers are normally cheaper locally as you have to pay a hazmat fee to ship them.

Wads can be found at decent prices locally, but normally can be bought in bulk quite cheaply online.

Hulls and shots can be a toss up.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby lostknife4 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:24 am

The Handbook of Shotshell Reloading, Ken Couger author and Richard Henderson editor.
SKR Industries Inc, PO Box 1382,San Angelo, Texas 76902 copyright 1984, ISBN 0-9613264-0-9

This handbook was published in 1984 and lot of the content is on reloading with a MEC 600 and 700. These are the older style loaders with the metalic sizing dies but they go into detail on adjusting everything. This is the only handbook that I have seen that gives this much detail on using and adjusting the MEC.

There is also a chapter on hull identification, full colour, and of course a data section for loads. Other chapters include but not limited to:Reloading Basics, How to select components, choosing a recipe,Intro to the loading data, references etc.

For a beginner and old guy like myself this has proven to be the most informative handbook I have and have ever seen, I think it's time they produced this book again updated to the Steelmaster and dedicated to Steel shot. If any of you readers ever see a handbook like this ie MEC and Steel, please IM me I would be very interested. Lost

PS: The kind people at MEC have recommended, as an update to the above, "Reloading for Shotgunners 5th edn" ISBN 0-87349-813-5 probably available from Gun Digest or Precision Reloading or BPI. I've just ordered one thru Gun Digest at 888-457-2873 or like me on-line.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby miestrojerry » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:28 pm

I am not new to reloading, I have been doing metallic reloading for over 40 years, been casting bullets, RBs and slugs for over 30 years. I bought a copy of the Lyman 5th Edition Shotshell Reloading Handbook and a NEC 600 jr Mk 5 a little more than a year ago. Read the manual, loaded a lot of lead shot and a few different slugs. Now I want to get into steel shot, because I know some hunting now requires non toxic shoot.

So I want to know what are the main differences and what little things I should look for. I plan on buying a MEC Steelmaster some time this winter.

So any advice, specialty items, tips or what ever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry
NRA Benefactor Life Member
If you find BFE, Ohio go further and you will find my place.
miestrojerry
Newb

Postby joshco84 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:55 pm

jerry, in kind of a simple breakdown, here is the difference in steel shot.

No metering powder or shot. STEEL powder is big flakes and does not really meter worth a damn. The shot can cut bushings and charge bars if you are not careful since its so hard. Besides the steel shot does not meter well anyways.

Pretty much loading steel shotshells is like handloading rifle shells. I personally do everything one step at a time, 25 shells at a time

Resize deprime all 25
Prime all 25
etc etc.

Very rewarding in my opinion though, i love my handloads for waterfowl.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby miestrojerry » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:34 pm

Thanks, now I will have try loading some. Is getting a Steel Master still a good idea?

Jerry
miestrojerry
Newb

Postby Norsky » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:07 pm

I like mine. others will say you all you need is the 600 but the sizer is worth it in my opinion. It really does put the steel head back to factory dimensions all the way around. I hand weigh shot and powder also. I enjoy the loading process and I don't need to crank out 10 boxes an hour. BPI status of Steel manual is a good one to read to understand steel shot reloading.
Norsky
hunter

Postby miestrojerry » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:06 pm

I will probably order the BPI Steel manual in a couple of weeks, but I am still waiting for slug reloading manual from them. The idea of having a separate press for a different type of reloading is appealing to me.

I really don't turn out that much in shot shell ammo, except I load a strong shell with #4 shot, to use in my shotgun that I carry around on my farm. I must have about 20 boxes of those load.

This was suppose to be the year I started doing clays again, but foot surgery delayed that until next year.

The more I learn the more I can apply without making mistakes.

Thanks,
Jerry
miestrojerry
Newb

Postby Rob MacK » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:45 am

Here is the link to the downloadable/printable version of "Shotshell Reloading – How to on Shotgun Reloading Steel" article posted in the duck hunting section of this web site.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/media/reloading.pdf

Good luck

Rob MacK
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby Cary » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:27 am

Rob MacK wrote:Here is the link to the downloadable/printable version of "Shotshell Reloading – How to on Shotgun Reloading Steel" article posted in the duck hunting section of this web site.

Good luck

Rob MacK

I used the link you provided above and it took me to the "Shotgun Reloading Steel" document you completed which looks to be good. I was wondering if you could provide a link to the "Shotshell Reloading" document as well. I have looked around and haven't been able to fine it. If it is anything like "Shotgun Reloading Steel" then I want to save a copy of it as well. Thanks for your help. :smile:
Cary
Cary
hunter

Postby Ned S » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:38 am

The Lyman 55 will drop STEEL powder accurately. Mine drops withing a 0.1 grain and once in 10 drops within 0.2 grain. Most powder measuring devices are accurate within 0.1 grain. I count my shot steel 3's and bigger using small rifle primer trays taping off the unused holes and throwing the shot into a mounted funnel with the hull underneath. Using steel 4's and smaller I use unslitted shotcups cut to the proper length and callibrated. I get within 3 shot max with this method. I also seat my shotcups and spacers by hand using a short piece of dowel glued to a c'bored hole in a wood door pull which you can get at Lowes. You have to C'bore the pull. Using these methods I get very good velocity and pattern consistancy. I use mostly RSI and Lightning Steel loads. Ned S the young 83 yr old.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:34 am

Rob MacK wrote:Here is the link to the downloadable/printable version of "Shotshell Reloading – How to on Shotgun Reloading Steel" article posted in the duck hunting section of this web site.
Good luck
Rob MacK

Just found this. Thank you Mr. Mack.
mudpack
hunter

Postby KGChunter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Interested in getting started....How is the Lee load all II?
KGChunter
hunter

Postby Pepper1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:14 am

I am thinking of reloading again. I did some in the 70's as a boy. I have all my dads old equipment, supplies, and (lead) formulas. I know I will have to change alot for steel and non toxics.

Are supplies fairly easy to come by? Powder and such?

Porbably set the shop back up and dive in whole hawg ! lol
Pepper1
hunter

Postby joy25 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:46 pm

beskyttelse af ænder.
http://www.taskesalgdk.com
joy25
Newb

Previous

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes