Patternmaster choke tubes

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Patternmaster choke tubes

Postby timmey9 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:08 am

Anyone use a patternmaster choke tube? I have heard good things about them form a few people but just wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on them. Right now i don't have a ull choke that can handle steel shot. season starts in 2 weeks so i need to make a decision fast.
timmey9
hunter

CHOKES

Postby LEADHEAD » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:59 pm

DON'T USE A FULL CHOKE FOR THE LARGE SHOT. IT IS OK IF YOU ARE SHOOTING 4'S OR 6'S, BUT NOT ANYTHING LARGER.

IF YOU WANT TO SHOOT A FULL CHOKE, TRY SHOOTING THE 6'S. THEY WORK VERY WELL OVER DECOYS. I STARTED USING THEM A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND NOW THAT IS ALL I SHOOT. I USE THE FULL CHOKE AND THEY WILL NOT ONLY KNOCK THEM DOWN, BUT I HAVE FAR FEWER CRIPPLES ALSO.
LEADHEAD

Postby timmey9 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:59 pm

I usually got with 4's on ducks. The only reason i would go bigger is for geese. i just want to tighten up my pattern so i get either a kill or a miss. We end up missing a flock or two of ducks while we chase the cripples around.
timmey9
hunter

patternmaster

Postby duck 1187 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:07 pm

I've shot one for about 3 or 4 years. I don't shoot anything else for ducks or geese. it gives you a great pattern big or small shot. I shoot geese with BBB or BB and just crush them same for ducks with 2's 3's or 4's. Everybody I hunt with shoots a patternmaster well worth the money
duck 1187

Postby dkhntr » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:39 am

We just got back from a hunt and one guy had a pattern master. I always thought that a choke is a choke right. I know the differances between full, mod, open, etc, but a Pattern Master mod is the same as any other mod choke, right? WRONG. after seeing that gun in action, I need a Pattern Master.
Lawn sprinklers save your grass...
Fire sprinlers save your ***!
dkhntr
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:10 pm

Hey, The pattern master choke tube is a great choke tube for geese,ducks,and turkeys... but some guys think that it makes your pattern tighter... What it actually dose is makes your shot come out like a pankake instead of a cone and all strungout, so it will hit a whole lot harder.
Mallyard

RE: Choke Tubes-Full

Postby dirtboy101 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:29 pm

I just got in to duck hunting in the past few years and now it is all I think about. I have been told on more than one occasion to not use a full choke with steel shot because it skews the pattern. Last evening I read in the new issue of Outdoor Life Mag they did a comparison of nontoxic shot and one choke tube type was full. Now I am confused. Were the people that I talked to wrong or does it need to be a special type of tube for non-lead shot? As some of you are I am sick of wounding ducks. I want to miss semi clean or knock them out of the sky. Please help before I buy the wrong thing. Thanks.
dirtboy101

Postby dkhntr » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:06 am

You can use any choke you want. They make them all strong enough for steel now. The differance is how the shot looks when it is a certain distance away from your gun. This is called the pattern. The MOST commonly used chokes are Mod. and Imprv. What this does is puts most of your bb's in a circle at a certain distance.

If you want to learn more about it go to this website I put below. They explain it better.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.shotgun-choke-tubes.
Lawn sprinklers save your grass...
Fire sprinlers save your ***!
dkhntr
hunter

Postby dirtboy101 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:26 pm

Thanks for the help. I will ckeck out the website next. Do you know why most people use Mod & Improv? Is it old school habits or just plain effective? Are more people moving toward Full because they are crippling more ducks w/ steel that they used to w/ lead? I have hunted upland birds for years where leading and hitting the bird in the head has not been as important. Ducks are tough customers.
Dedham, Maine
dirtboy101
Newb

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:10 pm

Patternmasters...

I've been using the chokes on ALL my hunting guns. Hell, my clays guns too! I first got them for my Citori Hunting which chambers 3 1/2's. It looked a little strange having two Patternmasters in the gun, but that one choke did it all. Patters were very uniform as advertised. Then I upped to an Xtrema with a Patternmaster. Finally I ended up getting two Patternmasters on my 20 gage Franchi o/u. Recently I got my wife a Browning Gold Ladies Sporting Clays and traded in my Citori Hunting (no need for it with the Xtrema). I kept both Patternmasters and she now uses one along with her Midas chokes for clays, or if she wants, she can use both on her Citori Sporting Clays.

In short, here's my take, having used them for hunting and target shooting for about 3 years now in three different guns...

They appear to work as advertised. The pattern appears more uniform. When hunting (or clays) I either obliterate the target or I miss it. If it's clay, it's either dust or it's "broken into one piece", very little inbetween. This led me to believe it was shooting like a full choke, but in actuallity it shoots more like an IC, but like someone said, no shot string, everything is right there in a disc rather than a cloud. This is great on zero deflection shots, bang, dead meat. The downside though is on pass shots, you gotta be right on the money. If you are, dead meat. If you aren't, no stray pellets to cripple the bird. At least that's what I've been told and what seems to be true from experience.

With shooting lead or with a light shot cup/wad I'm not sure if they still work the same. They SEEM to, but I have never really patterned them with lead on the range. However, just using the Patternmaster with clay loads it seems to have the same effect, and I've had some spectacular smoking birds out to about 30-35 yards, about the same as a full choke I'd guess. If I do an entire clays course with the Patternmaster ONLY, I'm about 5 birds behind than if I changed out with an IC or SK on pass shots. I do believe it's the short shot string that costs me those extra five, (and my cr#ppy deflection shooting). If I were ever to shoot trap again, I'd be using a Patternmaster probably, assuming it does a pattern as dense as a full, but with the diameter of an IC.

My favorite though is the 20 gage Franchi. My wife or I use this light little 5 pounder when we're breaking corn for pheasants here in Wisconsin. The 20 is nice and chambers 3 inch mags, but of course, it's "only a 20 gage". Well, I can verify that if you are "on" it hits as hard as any 12 gage. I whacked a bird about 40 yards out once and it dropped solid. It was the world's luckiest pass shot too, but that cock was pelletized pretty well. So I do believe in the things. Then again, I hunt with Airedale Terriers too. :shock:

So that's my take. If nothing else... they look "cool". :wink:

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes