Need a recipe

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

Need a recipe

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:16 pm

Need to know if anyone has a recipe to load 2 and 3/4 inch shells. I want to load these shells at 1 and 1/4 oz. using steel, and using trap shells (winchester AA's). Need to know what kind of powder, wad, and what size bushing to use in a mec reloader. Any pertinent information would be greatly appreciated. Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby atp » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:31 pm

Hi

Buy a good reloading book and don't bother going beyond the 1 oz load---if heavier it is too slow and down range kill power is quickly lost-

Unless steel is leaving at 1500 fps or higher it slows too quickly!

I have been reloading steel for 12 yrs and settled on using BB shot only,1 oz and federal gold medal cases.

Check with Ballistic products and get their loading manual and stick with their reccommendations---NO SUBSTITUTES...!You will find the reload rewarding---though buying the shells on special sales---you won't save much!

Good Hunting!

TOM
We are located in Vancouver,BC
Hunting done in Manitoba and BC
atp
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:48 am

Tom,
I do have a recipe for 1 and 1/8 oz. loads for anything smaller than 4 shot, and the recipe for 1 oz. for anything 3 or greater. thankyou for your advice. I have been shooting trap and sporting clays for 10 years and have "tweeked" a few of the manufacturers' recipes' by having my own bushings milled. I shoot store bought 2 and 3/4 inch in remington brand that are 1 and 1/4 oz. they perform excellent. They might not hit the speeds that you were talking about, but none the less knock the ducks and geese out of the sky. I was just hoping someone else out there still wanted to shoot their old 2 and 3/4 incher, and maybe had "tweeked" their own recipe. Thanks for your response. Wings cupped! Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby atp » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:47 am

Sounds like you have realized the limits of steel and live within it--works fine when you know its limitations--have fun!

We have been working with reloading hevi-shot--sure is funny looking shot--very different from the nice round spheres we are used to shooting!

It does work at greater distances but in reality one has to go further to recover the birds--the expense is rediculous and a true hunter can bring the birds in close enough for steel shot.

Good hunting

TOM
We are located in Vancouver,BC
Hunting done in Manitoba and BC
atp
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:18 am

I have to agree with you that heavyshot and Bismuth indeed out-perform steel. Hard to believe you can sometimes find exit wounds on a goose shot at thirty yards! A gentleman we took out on a guided hunt put it to me this way, you can spend the money on the new hybreds, or you can spend less money on steel, but in the long-run you end up spending about the same amount of money. The reason he said was simple, you shoot a duck or goose (especially over water) with Heavyshot for example and you're liable to kill the bird with one shot. On the other hand you use steel and you might have to take several shots to take out the cripple. his comparison makes sense, but I'm stubborn and refuse to give into that kind of monopoly. I have heard that prices will come down when the patents run out on these hybreds. We can only hope! Good luck this season. Wings cupped, Pete.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes