What rides the water best?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

What rides the water best?

Postby NESoDak » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:53 am

I am already looking towards next years season and am looking forward to adding more decoys to my spread. The theft of three dozen or so decoys has me looking to add/upgrade to something new.

I would like anyones opinion on Herters burlap decoys, Blackwater Rough Rider decoys and Herters Cork decoys. The cork decoys do not come in the variety I would like for a full spread of course, but I am have always read that nothing rides the water more realistically than cork. Herters burlap blocks look good, and are hard as a rock making me believe they will hold up well. The Rough Rider decoys ride the water very well and seem to be built "hell for stout" but they weigh a ton and are even more expensive than Herters cork dekes.
"If you don't think too good ... Don't think too much." Ted Williams
NESoDak
hunter

Blackwater Dekes

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:41 am

The Rough Riders are awesome. Wish I could afford to have some of my own.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckman911 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:43 pm

All of the herters decoys ride the water superior. We have i think about 5dozen mixed bag... We just have the standard foam ones they ride the water just as well as the cork in my opinion but hey if ya got the cash i guess go with cork... by the way the roughriders a very heavy... and they have a detachable keel. I personally would stay with herters model72 foamers....
Shootem in the face
duckman911
Newb

Postby taylordekes » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:05 pm

Edited by MNGT 10/12

I love talking decoy construction so give me shout if you're interested.
If you ain't bleedin' - you ain't carvin'
taylordekes
DHC Sponsor

Postby birdgunner04 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:16 am

If you can afford it cork rides best
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum