Really weird question..

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Really weird question..

Postby casey_714 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:34 am

So I have a question. I don't even know where I thought of this, or if it even makes a difference, but here it is.. Do male ducks watch out for the females? Like, when they're sitting on the water, do hens stay closer to the middle of the group for protection? Or if they were in the middle would it mean that the ducks were scared? I was just thinking that if they did, maybe I could change my spread a little. Yeah, it was a weird question, please don't think i'm dumb or anything. Well, I'm gettin to bed.

Casey
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby JJ McGuire » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:13 am

No ducks really don't form bonds that way or set up to protect hens. However, geese are different as they establish permanent pair bonds and I always set up the ganders on the outside of the spread. :mrgreen:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby waterfowler82 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:09 am

What do mean you "always set up the ganders on the outside of the spread"? Could you elaobrate a little please?
Thanks
waterfowler82
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:19 am

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:37 pm

waterfowler82 wrote:What do mean you "always set up the ganders on the outside of the spread"? Could you elaobrate a little please?
Thanks

When I am hunting for geese I like my set up to look natural. I usually put the gander decoys on the periphery of the spread and the goose decoys toward the center. Around here that is the way most of geese are in the fields.
You will typically find if flocks are sliding off from your spread you have too many ganders in the center and you need to move them to the edges.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby waterfowler82 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:41 pm

Ummm...how do you tell the difference between a gander and a goose? A gander is just a male goose right? When I look at geese I can't tell any difference between what would be a male or a female...
waterfowler82
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:01 pm

i am guessing either the bigger ones or or ones with their head up/actives.
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:14 pm

What I do is when I buy my decoys I ask for either goose or gander decoys. Then when I get them home I mark the decoys so that when I set them up in the field, I’ll know which ones are male and which are female. That way it is very easy to set up a spread. I really can't easily tell the difference between male and female geese, but the geese can. :thumbsup:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:02 pm

Holy Chit man.......get off the crack!! :umm: :hammering:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:04 pm

Soooooooooooooooooo, can you tell me when they startee making male and female decoys.......and like anyone would knoe the diff??. JC...man you really need to seek pro help.....and I'm very serious :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:05 pm

Are you sure you don't mean put the sentinells to the outside and all the resters and feeders to the inside? I have bought a goose decoy or two but I sure have never seen goose decoys sold by the sex!!!!!!
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:40 am

Just stay away from the all gander spreads, and if you do use all ganders you don't want none of those fruity geese in your bag anyhow
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Ganders????

Postby Dep666 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:07 pm

Hell, I just wink at em....If they wink back its a female. unless its a Gander with a rainbow colored band on his leg and he honks with a lisp....... :thumbsup:
Dep666
hunter

Postby Scott M » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:12 pm

Lmao Matt French what an idea. Heheheheheheh.Thanks i needed that.:laughing: :laughing: :thumbsup: :cool:
Scott M
Newb

Re: Ganders????

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:22 pm

Matt French wrote:Hell, I just wink at em....If they wink back its a female. unless its a Gander with a rainbow colored band on his leg and he honks with a lisp....... :thumbsup:

Hah hahahh hahahahhah hhahahahaha!!!!!!

Now that is good!!! :laughing:

Man, you must be as much of a Pimp as me :toofunny: :getdown:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:00 am

ISHOOTDIVERS wrote:Just stay away from the all gander spreads, and if you do use all ganders you don't want none of those fruity geese in your bag anyhow

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:19 am

This thread is killing me!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:35 pm

Man..........I think I'm going to get 3 doz of those hot sexy goose decoys so i can lure a few ganders in :yes: :yes: :toofunny: :toofunny: :getdown: :getdown:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Stupid question

Postby Dep666 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:10 pm

I hear a story about a new way to hunt these "confused" geese.
The first step is to repaint those drab bigfoots. Try a pink or lavender hue for the body. Hell maybey even equip you deeks with a fanny pack. Next is to take a piece of brown string and tape it to the bottom of the tail ( Simulate a gerbil's tail). Then you need to play a backgound music of the Village people or even some Elton John.( I know, I'm cringing typing this, but hey If it works...) Rainbow goose flags( Versus the plain black) Tend to work better.
The species can be identified buy a rather limp winged approach. Usually these birds land in cornfield tail first... :laughing:

This technique has been used many times in the greater San Fransico area and recently in Vermont( I think the queer cluckers go there for the same sex marriages).

Anyway fellas ...Not the gospel...Just somthing I heard.....Lots of laughs....
Dep666
hunter

Postby Riverjumper » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:37 pm

I know I am not a moderator but...

Flaming: flaming or personal attacks are not tolerated. Should anyone use inappropriate language, start a personal attack, or engage in hate speech, they can be barred from all further discussions. Easily said, challenge an opinion but don't attack the person.

I would consider where this Topic has gone to be an attack on a specific group of people. Please make appropriate edits.

Thank You
Riverjumper
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:58 am

It's called being sarcastic, and joking around.....and as far as I can see, no one did any and I repeat.any personal attacks or flaming. The guy we were tormenting was even having a good laugh.....so take your liberal comments somewhere else.......now this is a personal attack :pissed:
Thank You.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Wierd question

Postby Dep666 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:24 pm

Well my apologies for upsetting certain persons. Just a futile attempt at humor. I forget that not all people have the same sense of humor as myself nor are they as thick skinned as others might be.
If at anytime my comments or allusions were offensive I retract my statements and will refrain from any further coduct that might offend or isolate any person/persons who may be living or deceased. I was not forced to make this statement in any way shape or form.
Is that a good enough apology for you? That is the best I have. As far as the other people on this form.....My apologies for wasting your time with " Flaming or personal attacks" and off color humor.
You guys run with this one all you want. I'm done.....I'm goin huntin'

THANKS VERY MUCH!
Dep666
hunter

Re: Wierd question

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:12 am

Matt French wrote:I retract my statements and will refrain from any further coduct that might offend or isolate any person/persons who may be living or deceased. I was not forced to make this statement in any way shape or form.

Now that is funny! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:16 am

Just flip your decoy upside down and you should be able to tell if it is a gander or goose!
:mrgreen:
maddiedog
hunter

Postby Dalros » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:41 am

Man that was really too bad...I was really enjoying that thread until the Clinton/Kerry set showed up.
Sure thing Hun, I'll get right on that...right after hunting season!
Dalros
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Decoy Forum