? about cleaning decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

? about cleaning decoys

Postby kyfowler » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:45 pm

we you clean you decoys before/after the season what do you clean them with. soap and water, just water, or some type of cleaner?
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:07 pm

dish soap and warm water.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:05 pm

I use soap and water. During season I use pond water :eek: :salude: :salude: :salude:
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck Whittler » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:57 pm

I normally take the power washer and clean mine before I put them up at the end of the season. Then I just hose the dust off of them when it is time to use them again.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:16 am

I use basic ivory liquid and warm water and a soft bristled brush....and I don't just do it at the end of the season....many times DURING the season..... I keep whatever decoys I have used clean, whether they be burlaps, cork or plastic....one thing to be careful of is a power washer on plastics.....too much psi could take off alot more than mud!!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KCDuckMaster » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:16 pm

I dont know about to much PSI. I had some old flams. that I was going to repaint. Well out in the field it seemed that the paint would just fall off. But when I went to strip all the paint off I couldn't find an easy way to strip the old paint off. Gas worked the best but I thought there had to be an easier way. SO, I got out or pressure washer. I started washing them with a really low psi, however that wouldn't even touch them. So I turned it some more, and more, and more, finally to 2800PSI. It was just kinda taking it off and I had the nozzle close. So I turned on the heat. I started off at 200. It took about 75% off, but I wanted more off. So I turned it up to 300. That pretty much did the job but still didnt take off 100%, so I still ended up removing the last bit by hand.

Do realize that those were junk decoys that I didnt care if I melted or put a hole in. I would never ever do that to my good decoys that I use.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby cast-n-blast » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:17 pm

Just use hot water and a soft scrub brush & wash-cloth/old rags. Some soaps (mostly dishsoaps) can leave a residue that can have a UV altering effect that ducks WILL notice. You can also buy a soap at Walleyworld called Sport Wash by Sno-Seal that is free from any UV brighteners and leaves no residue. It's super concentrated and isn't that expensive. It's also great for your jackets and pants (If you wash them, some people I know don't believe in washing their hunting clothing...ever, pewwww!) :smile:
"Hippies...They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

"If God didn't want us to shoot animals...then why'd he make 'em out of meat?"
cast-n-blast
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum