How many decoys are enough for a good diver spread

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

How many decoys are enough for a good diver spread

Postby T-MAN » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:52 pm

I have never been diver hunting but planning on it this year. I was just wondering what specie of decoy, brand, and number. I will mostly be hunting whistlers, and buffleheads, and maybe some broadies.Thank fguys. :salude:
T-MAN
hunter

Diver Spreads

Postby Dep666 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:51 pm

Well the word on the street is numbers nummbers ,numbers. I have hunted over 200-250 blocks before and smashed 'em. Other days the birds wanted nothing to do with the spread. The one thing I can suggest is maybey start with about 3 dozen .....Broadies. You can mix in Redheads too. They will land together. If you have Cans out try to keep them to one side away from the Bills.
Whislters are a complete different ball game. If I target Whistlers only, I will bring in all my Broadbills and red heads and put out TWO supermag Whistlers. I have found that the two giant dekes draw in more birds than a group of those regular sized carrylites. The supermags that I use I purchased from Taylordecoys.com. The Ethan Allen Supermags. They are the nuts! Butterballs will come into them also.The thing is to start with a fair ammount of dekes and build up every year. I have about 300 Dekes now. Most of those were from hard hunting garage sales in the summer. This year my buddy and I are going to test then theory of Big Dekes...Less #'s. It's going to be intersting to say the least. Good luck and shoot straight................MAtt
Dep666
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:07 pm

Thanks matt!! I am thinking about the herters big water broadbill kit. I dont know, i might paint some mallards into canvasbacks, to save a little dough. Would that be a good idea? :thumbsup:
T-MAN
hunter

Cans

Postby Dep666 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:37 pm

Bro I'm a little anal about my Dekes. The mallards might work, however you have to pay attention to how a can looks on the water. The shape of the head and the way the bodies ride . Their backs slope down like a bill. I have read a million posts about guys who have great sucess with painting puddlers into divers. I'm not doubting them at all. It would just drive me crazy doing that. My own opinion. Check out that website. That guy is pretty good and he's from your neck of the woods. Right now my buddy has developed a DEcoy we are going to try this year. Its in the begining stages, but I'll post a pic of the finished product when they are done. Good luck and clobber a few of those knobby headers for me.
Dep666
hunter

Decoys

Postby Dep666 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:42 pm

Oh yea...one other thing. The herters are great Decoys. I have a bunch of the 72 Bluebills....Sorry BROADBILLS. They ride the waves nice, however ther can't really take a beating. What I did was buy the blank heads and bodies and i painted them myself. I like painting my own. There is nothing like foolin ducks with you own hand painted dekes. Plus the time I spent painting was time away from a nagging wife. :toofunny: Anyway I don't think you can go wrong with the herters.
Dep666
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:02 pm

Thanks matt! I took a look at some cans on the web. The mallards look higher up and the bills are a differnt shape. I also like painting my own. I was thinking about what you did ( its actually cheaper in the long run). I would prolly order them out a cabellas. Thanks for pointing that out! :salude: ill c ya later. Thanks
T-MAN
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:52 pm

It really just depends on where you are huntin. If hunting small lakes, then you could get away with 1-2 doz, but when hunting large lakes, and bays, the ducks really like numbers. Sure the painted mallards will work, I got about a doz in my spread, but when looking out at your spread on an early morning, what do ya see???? a bunch of black silos. I think the ducks focus more on the shape, then anything else. Like matt said, divers have a sloping back, and they ride real low in the water, unlike puddlers.
texan68
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:07 pm

for our big water rig we put out 90 to a 100 blocks all foam single line deks and are mixed cans, bills, redheads, mallards, and blackducks. this seems to work all the time.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Blaster » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:04 pm

Matt is correct about the Herter's model 72 dekes. I would suggest possibly spending a bit more and get the burlap or cork decoys. The extra money now definately pays off in the long run. I have purchased nothing but burlaps and corks over the past 5 or 6 years and I have a great spread. I have also burlapped my old 72's and touched them up. That is another option.
Blaster
hunter

Postby texan68 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:18 pm

Those cork blocks sure are expensive....$40 bucks for 2 decoys :toofunny:

I'll stick with plastic and foam
texan68
hunter

Postby Blaster » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:29 pm

They really aren't that expensive if you sit down and think about it. When you buy cork decoys, you are making a lifelong investment. The plastics usually don't last real long. Plus, the cork dekes ride the water perfectly. It really comes down to a personal preference...pay a little more now for something that won't need hardly any maintenance during their lifetime, or buy a cheaper deccoy and have to touch up and replace over the years.
Blaster
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:39 pm

Pay a little more..... :eek:

I've found if ya take care of the plastics, they last for a very long time.
texan68
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:03 pm

I found a better way, carve corks, you get much more satisfaction out of shooting birds over blocks that came from your 2 hands, although just getting into cork I am glad I got into it and plan on having at least 1/2 my layout rig corks by next year.Nothing wrong with foamers, burlappers, and plastics, but for me nothing but foamers/burlappers and corks for the big water, I leave teh plastics for the marshes
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:57 pm

T-MAN:

Every place is different, but in my experience you really do not need a whole lot of decoys for goldeneyes. In fact, smaller spreads have always worked better for me on them. I mean real small spreads: a dozen or less.

Buffies should be easy to decoy, but goldeneyes tend to like to come into their own kind. I usually put 5-7 goldeneye decoys (mixed herters model 72 with home made paint jobs and carrylite goldeneyes) off to the side of the regular duck spread. This seems to work for me.

Sadly, there is no longer a huntable number of bluebills where I hunt any more so I have no advice for you on them.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:49 pm

Advice for bills put something out that looks like a duck, it could be a bill deke or mallard deke, I have shot several limits of bills over nothing but mallard and pinnie dekes, they aren't real picky
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:24 pm

Thanks Guys :thumbsup:
T-MAN
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum