Decoy species mix

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Decoy species mix

Postby dbohunts » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:37 am

Looking for advice on decoy placement. This will be my first year duck hunting on my own. I have drawn for several refuge hunts in my state of NC. The brochure the WRC sent me from the refuge's said the majority of what I would see would consist of pintails, teal, wigeon, and some ringneck and buffleheads. I have dekes for all of these species and mallards, when I put them out do I keep the species seperated? Do I seperate puddlers from divers? From what I have read placement is not as big of a deal as most believe, most use standard horeseshoe type placement but I was not sure about mixing species.

Thanks ahead of time for help, DBO :help:
dbohunts
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:42 am

I keep the species seperate and apart from other species. Divers I place on the outside of the rig cause they have a tendancey to buzz the edges of the decoys without really committing to set. My last decoy is always at about 35 yards.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:04 pm

I usually also keep my divers to the outside edge of the spread. But the rest just go together. I dont try to separate species.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Dalros » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:33 am

In my opinion the absolute best thing that you can do is go ahead and head out into the marsh or water; whatever you are hunting, at an "off" time and look at how the real ducks are set up. Are the species intermixed? Are they spaced close or far apart? Maybe there's a certain spot where they are loafing and a certain spot they are feeding. We've all seen these activities one time or another.

In short, I check out the real ducks and emulate them the best way I can. Get and scout...you'll be glad you did.

Good luck,

Dalros

PS - This is the same time that it is best to practice your calling. If you can get out there and have the girls talking back to ya when you're talkin to them; well your almost to homebase.
Sure thing Hun, I'll get right on that...right after hunting season!
Dalros
hunter

Species mixing

Postby MicroMike » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:42 am

Except for teal, my understanding is that it is best to keep the species separated. Teal are social, and will land in almost any decoy spread (my experience). We shoot a large number of Ringnecks and Redheads, and don't have any in our spread, so maybe it doesn't matter. A local hunter told me that it didn't matter what decoys you have or how you mix 'em.

My neighbor and I have only been hunting for 2 years, and we have mostly mallards, then teal, Pintails, then black ducks. We've killed a large number of Redheads, Ringnecks and teal, then a couple of mallards, one pintail, and a shoveler. Our two greatest harvest birds have been Redheads and Ringnecks, and we don't have any of those in our spread.

So, you question remains unanswered! :toofunny:
MicroMike
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum