Scenario - Duck Season Opener

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Scenario - Duck Season Opener

Postby DuckSleuth » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:24 am

Since I know you guys are chompin' at the bit for the Season Opener, let's do a little scenario. Say you are planning to start the season on a big river impoundment. You've done your homework and scouted the area. The area you have chosen to hunt is near the mouth of a small bay near the main river channel. During your scouting, you notice a lot of coots with some gads, ringnecks, and some mallards.

What kind of spread would you use?
DuckSleuth
hunter

Spread

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:09 am

1 dozen mallards and that would be all I would need. If you are already where they want to be then that is 90% the work. If I expect extreme hunting pressure then it would be a different and I would take everything I had.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby 20gauge24 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:36 pm

yeah about a dozen mallards and some couts out to the side
The worst duck hunt is the best day of work.
20gauge24
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:09 pm

To me big water means big spreads. With that many coots around I'd put out 7 or 8 doz. of them, a couple doz. mallards and a doz. ringers. Gadwalls will decoy to a floating tire, so there's not need to put any gaddy decoys out. :laughing:

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum