Decoy Paint

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Decoy Paint

Postby Dalros » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:33 am

Hey guys,

I was just wondering who's decoy paint everyone likes the best. I've got, I dunno...maybe 5 doz. dekes or so need repainting badly and have no idea where to get the paint. I've seen paint advertised in Herters, but was thinkin that there might be some other places too. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanx,

Dalros
Sure thing Hun, I'll get right on that...right after hunting season!
Dalros
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:39 pm

are they plastic or foam? for plastic i don't know but for foam i use flat latex it works great
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby weedsnager » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:56 am

what type of duck are you repainting? mallard? bluebill?
weedsnager
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:30 am

Not saying this is perfect but after scrapeing & cleaning them well I prime them with KILZ 2 primer and let them set a few days. Haven't found a decoy surface that this doesn't work on. Flat black, white and dark brown latex can be picked up at any good hardware store. They can also custom make or change the colors for you if you ask. Black and white mixed will get you any shade of grey you may need. Head, odd body and bill colors I get from Herter's (Cabela's now), easier than trying to mix from scratch. You can blend most any combo to get whatever variation you may want. The thing with most any paint is to do it during the summer, curing out, not dry to the touch is the way to make it last. ~~ If you want to use oil based paints buy them without being stirred. Poor off the oil on top and add paint thinner, makes for a much flatter paint job. Latex is easier to use and clean up though.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Dalros » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:30 pm

Hey guys,

Thanx for all of the reposts guys. What I'm trying to repaint are mostly mallards - flambeaus and carry lites. I thought I might also try makin a few widgeon out of a few of them. I've got loafers, sleepers, feeders...heck even the newer ones could use better paint if you know what a I mean.

I talked to a guy awhile back and he said that he used an airbrush kit. His dekes looked great, but ahhh...i don't really know how to use an airbrush kit! Maybe I should learn.

Dalros

PS - Hey Cobra - Does it really matter that much if it's not summer? I would think that as long it was dry and I guess somewhat warm, say in my garage, it would be fine? Whaddya think?
Sure thing Hun, I'll get right on that...right after hunting season!
Dalros
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:42 pm

Dalros - Just needs to be relatively warm. Found it takes a good 6 weeks for latex to really cure out correctly and last in water. ~~ Never seen a duck decoy where I actually liked the factory paint job. Have basically re-painted every new deke as it comes out of the box for the past 30 years, birds (and I) like them much darker than the spring plumage they seem to be painted in, at least in my area that is.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum