Herter's Decoy Question

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Herter's Decoy Question

Postby Blaster » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:09 pm

Does anyone know if Herter's used to make Shoveler decoys? My entire spread consists of Herter's dekes and am interested in getting my hands on some shoveler heads so I can custom paint the bodies. Any ideas where I could find such a thing?
Blaster
hunter

Postby Cobra » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:18 pm

Don't remember ever seeing one and still have a catalog from the early '70s. Herter's generally uses only 2 different heads for most of thier decoys, a generic Mallard and Bluebill that work fine. Think you'll probably have to carve them, which is entertaining.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Blaster » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:26 pm

I was thinking about carving, but I talked to an old friend that is willing to make me a mold for a shoveler head. Just need to get the Herters bodies and paint now.

Thanks for your response. I was also looking through an older Herter's catalog today and didn't see anything, but didn't know if I needed to search an earlier date from what I had.
Blaster
hunter

Postby texan68 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:27 pm

I would just use a mallard head.....ducks can't tell the difference.
texan68
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum