Opinion on Spinning Wing...

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Do you think spinning wing decoys should be outlawed?

Yes
39%
No
53%
Depends on the area/state/situation
8%

Total votes : 36

Opinion on Spinning Wing...

Postby ND_Duckslayer » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:05 pm

Well, I don't mean to stir the pot, but I've been reading a lot lately on other sites about getting rid of the spinning wing decoys and I've come back with info from both sides.

For the people who want to get rid of the spinning wing decoys they see them as an eyesore. They are taking away the heritage from hunting and creating more difficulty for other hunters who don't have the money to get them or just don't want them. Also, it is making the ducks "wise up" faster, creating greater difficulty for everyone.

On the other hand, for those people in favor of keeping the spinning wing decoys, they say they are a needed addition to any decoy spread. It greatly increases the chances of bagging birds and adds enjoyment to the hunt. Also, they believe that to those hunters who don't like them, that is their own problem and they should adapt and move on.

In either case I see a lot of room for debate. I honestly don't know what my side is. I like using the spinning wing decoys because they produce well, but it seems that the ducks are wisening up anyway. Also, when there is more pressure I can see how it would be an unfair advantage to other hunters. Of course there is the statement "every hunter for himself..."
"If it flies, it dies...and if it just sits there and doesn't move, IT STILL DIES!!!"
-Phil Robertson, a.k.a. the Duck Commander
ND_Duckslayer
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:08 pm

To me mine when I hunt with it dosen't bring them all right in, so they really don't need to be outlawed.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:47 am

my buddy who's a bio said the duck limit is based on a worst case senario and it wont hurt duck numbers to use them even if they do help you shoot more. In our state not one single state bio voted to ban them but our game comission did it anyway.
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:46 am

I voted to ban them. It has been said on many other duck hunting sites, but I feel that it gives people a crutch to lean on. People that haven't bothered to do their homework (or haven't had time) like finding where the birds actually want to be, decoy placement or calling are able to kill as many birds as someone who has been hunting ducks for 20 years.

I'm not knocking anyone who uses them because I use them myself. However, I use them as a way to level the playing field on the weekends. When I'm lucky enough to get a few weekdays off I won't use a spinner and still shoot the same amount of birds.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:47 am

ol' yeller wrote:I voted to ban them. It has been said on many other duck hunting sites, but I feel that it gives people a crutch to lean on. People that haven't bothered to do their homework (or haven't had time) like finding where the birds actually want to be, decoy placement or calling are able to kill as many birds as someone who has been hunting ducks for 20 years.

I'm not knocking anyone who uses them because I use them myself. However, I use them as a way to level the playing field on the weekends. When I'm lucky enough to get a few weekdays off I won't use a spinner and still shoot the same amount of birds.

yeller

couldn't have said it any better myself.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby gracenjohn » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:42 pm

success early in any endeaver can keep the attention of newbies. why take away the opportunity to create a duck hunter. my way may not be the same a yours, but that doesn't make it wrong. I'll be using jerk strings all year long. Are you going to outlaw them too?

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:23 am

I personally think that the Feds should ban them nation wide. It does indeed give a person an advantage to when using them from first hand experience. My bag has not gone up, but then again I usually average 4 ducks for hunt. I t just took a little longer before than now with the spinner. But for the marginal hunter-that is a different story. Some guys go a put out 1 dz decoys and maybe get 1 birds per person, now they throw out a spinner and get 2 to 3 per person-and many hunters are marginal, so the the sheer number of additional birds being bagged has increased. Are live decoys, more than 3 shells in a gun, 8 ga guns, etc... any more effective than a spinners-and yet they were banned over 70 years ago. Where do you draw the line on fair chase? Heck many hunters are seeing the new enemy as Mud Motors being they are so loud and are chasing the birds out of their hiding places-and when you bust the roost-they leave., so many are upset with them. Heck I remember 25 years ago the average OBmotor was a 10hp, now it is 30hp for duck hunting. The bottom line is there have been many technological advances over the last 20 years, MMs, Spinners, Goretex, Bigger boats/motors and more of them, etc... Maybe it it time to start restricting some of this. So the spinner should go IMHO as it is a reasonable start.

I now AR will be banning them for '05 and heard a rumor IL will too next year. PA, OR, WA are already banned and Calif and Mn has partial bans in effect this year.

The Feds need to get a backbone and stand of for the ducks and the sport and ban the spinners.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:43 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:I personally think that the Feds should ban them nation wide. It does indeed give a person an advantage to when using them from first hand experience. My bag has not gone up, but then again I usually average 4 ducks for hunt. I t just took a little longer before than now with the spinner. But for the marginal hunter-that is a different story. Some guys go a put out 1 dz decoys and maybe get 1 birds per person, now they throw out a spinner and get 2 to 3 per person-and many hunters are marginal, so the the sheer number of additional birds being bagged has increased. Are live decoys, more than 3 shells in a gun, 8 ga guns, etc... any more effective than a spinners-and yet they were banned over 70 years ago. Where do you draw the line on fair chase? Heck many hunters are seeing the new enemy as Mud Motors being they are so loud and are chasing the birds out of their hiding places-and when you bust the roost-they leave., so many are upset with them. Heck I remember 25 years ago the average OBmotor was a 10hp, now it is 30hp for duck hunting. The bottom line is there have been many technological advances over the last 20 years, MMs, Spinners, Goretex, Bigger boats/motors and more of them, etc... Maybe it it time to start restricting some of this. So the spinner should go IMHO as it is a reasonable start.

I now AR will be banning them for '05 and heard a rumor IL will too next year. PA, OR, WA are already banned and Calif and Mn has partial bans in effect this year.

The Feds need to get a backbone and stand of for the ducks and the sport and ban the spinners.

I whole heartedly agree
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:41 pm

I say let everyone keep using them because it helps me when I'm the only one not using one and I kill all the ducks :toofunny: Seriously, I could care less if they were banned or not, I have one but don't even use it because when I have, it flares the ducks. I killed my limit almost every day last year without it. And everyone around me used them and they didn't kill near as many as I did. Think about it, when the ducks fly all the way down the U.S. most of the setups they see have a robo in it. So by the time they get down here to TN they know that when they see those spinning wings, it's not a good sign. I agree with Ol Yeller, good calling and good decoy placement are what kill ducks! :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby DuckPlayer » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:55 am

I've never hunted over one so my opinion is biased,but I don't feel the need to ban anything because once it starts they will be banning all kinds of stuff , i.e. wobbler dekes, maybe some duck call will work to good and they'll ban it too. Just give the birds time to adjust they'll all learn and it'll be another gimmick that worked for a while. I've seen new fishing lures come out and catch alot of fish and the next year you couldn't buy a bite on them. but just drop back to the old standbys and you'll be right back in da game. I know many people tell me they are awsome and work great, but I have just as many ducks in my hand if not more. The people that seem to like them the most are new to duck hunting so let'em get hooked on the sport. I would say the robo duck thing isn't going to last much longer and the ducks won't give'em anything more than a distant glance and flare off. If ya want to save more ducks from unnesasary death find a way to stop people from sky-busting and wounding too many ducks that fly away to die! Besides I don't understand why it's a big deal the limit here is six birds robo duck or no robo duck you only get six if it'll help bring'em in closer for quick clean kills thats less wounded ducks in my opinion.
Some days you do everything right and don,t bag a thing , Some days you do everything wrong and still get LUCKY !!!
DuckPlayer
Pro Hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:41 am

I'm an old timer and don't really like them, BUT I love it when other guys have used them over the past couple years. Birds in my area are nearly scared to death of them, even the flight birds shy away. Nice idea that's past it's prime.
Cobra
hunter

Postby atp » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:28 pm

Hi All

They work much too good---the gripe is that some so called hunters will limit out every day --without the robo they might only get 2 birds--now the greedy you know whats ,are making sausage 24 hr a day.

One of our hunters passed away and we found two freezers full of ducks / geese--200 ducks--125 geese

The advantage is one can enjoy a true hunt for 1 or 2 hours and go home with a few birds without spending a whole day out there.Some of the old retired guys are going to ruin it for all of us.

YEP,MEBBE THEY SHOULD BE BANNED!!

TOM
We are located in Vancouver,BC
Hunting done in Manitoba and BC
atp
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:20 pm

I say we keep 'em.

I don't care if it gives a less "seasoned" hunter an advantage.
Not everyone has access to the internet, a family history of hunting or friends to show them the art of hunting.

I encourage new hunters and the mojo and robo ducks help them enjoy the hunt. Ducks are smart, the mojo really only works well for me for about 2-3 weeks. Then it is back to old school.
mccree79
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:59 pm

Little Lesson I learned Yesterday

We went to hunt the spot we scouted out the day before only to find another guy had just beat us to it (cause we sheared a pin and did some wild stuff to make a new one). Anyways, we set up about 150 yards from him in a location we deemed less than ideal so we didn't ruin his hunt. THe way the birds were going in the night before we figured he would be done in short order and then we would move in. He was doing it old school with no Mojo and a jerk string. We put out 3 dozen decoys with 3 Mojo Mallards (would've been 5 if the parts would come in). He killed one hen that we let live. Every duck that came in tried to land next to the mojos. These ducks see extreme hunting pressure, and we kill them over them all year long. The only reason we bought them is to keep up with the competition.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:33 pm

Hey Ks, i was reading all the post on this topic and saw 2 post that you looked to be against the flippy ducks, but as i read on you offer another post that says you used 3 but woulda had 5 if you had parts... really doesnt matter to me but found it kinda funny a guy who was against 'em would use as many as 5.
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:42 pm

I am completely against them, but on our marsh without them you may as well go home. Too many city guyd who hunt 2 times a year bring out 8 and pull them off of the guys who scouted. I hate the damn things, but if I wanna kill birds I gotta have em.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:20 pm

we have spinners. we dont use them much anymore. dont seem to be as affective as they use to be.if somebody wants to use them why not.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:50 pm

it would appear that KS is doing exactly what folks have mentioned....it was a crutch to get birds away from standard hunting practices.....I wonder what you could have done going mano-a-mano with the other guy.....just with standard dekes and calling.....I mean, KS, you even admit it, it was because of a spinner that you scored

and what's up with posting that you are for banning...then you use a bunch to blow-off ducks from a guy in the right place..... and take ducks you didn't deserve! and lastly....you set up within 150 yards....so you really were trying to pull birds from their normal flight practices.....ever hear of or believe in ethics?! If it was a 'controlled' experiment with all parties, that would have been a cool test...but you stroked some guy and now brag.

It can't be both ways!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:28 am

Just showing you how effective they were. We were in the second spot they wanted to be in. We gave him 150 yard cushion which is 3 times as much as anybody else gives us. If the birds were working him we let em work him without calling them off. We didn't shoot his swing birds either like he shot at ours a couple of times. I would much rather scout than use my mojos next year. I hope every state bans them God forsaken things.

If you can't beat them join them.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:04 am

I may have been a bit off base without all the facts....but I would still never set that close to another party.....just my style of hunting and I hunt almost all public waters....and I have had jerks set that close to me which was their mistake, trust me on that. Sorry if I was offensive KS!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum