Goose Decoy Help

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Goose Decoy Help

Postby Blaster » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:21 pm

I am making some goose silhouette decoys and want to know what everyone would suggest that I use for paint. Does anyone have any tips to offer?
Blaster
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:43 pm

Your budget will dictate that. There are two ways you can go use some plain old enamel spray paint in grey(chest) black(body and head) and white (cheeks and tails) . Or for a little more money you can buy a simple paint kit from a sporting goods retailer that does just fine. The important part is that they be dark enough to be seen from a long ways off.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:17 pm

I would NEVER buy a "paint kit"....especially for geese. Not sure what you used for a medium, but I use 1/4" luan.......I seal it then paint with exterior flat latex.....base coat I use is from Walmart (about $5 per qt) in Grand Teton....of course there is also white and black....which mixed will give you any shade of gray you think you want. If you do not like the Teton, just look over the swatches in the paint section to get exactly what you want.

I did a bunch for a friend this past summer....pics are in the goose hunting forum! Nothing fancy.....you do not need details - especially when they are a supplement to full bodies - but I have used them alone and had top-notch gunning over them.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Blaster » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:43 pm

Where did you find a pattern for these dekes?
Blaster
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:45 am

drew it myself years ago....have made many dozen over the years --- a few for me, but mostly for friends --- I could send you a tracing if you want (i've sent alot of members tracings).....from the feeder 'design' it is very easy to adjust the neck/head into high or low preener, upright, resting etc. Same for the body....with an initial template you can use personal creativity because what YOU like is most important....same comment on the paint scheme(s).

would need your home address.......via PM
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby T-MAN » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:43 pm

For me, I used non gloss spray paint. I painted them black(because it sticks out more than brown) with a white:cheek, tail, and underside.

I did 2doz. with 1 can white and 3 cans black. Hope this helps!!

-Tyler
T-MAN
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum