herters decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

herters decoys

Postby mallard master » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:19 am

it seems to me that herters decoys look phony. they don't have any detail like g&h decoys. they don't look very real compared to the other decoys on the market. i was wondering what your opinions are on them
mallard master
Newb

Postby b c g s » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:31 pm

The old ones where good dont know about the new ones sorry
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

Postby taylordekes » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:56 pm

I agree with bear creek - the old Herter's were quality decoys but the new ones are subject to some eyebrow raisin'. ---Edit Admin2--- The heads definately need some attention Shop around as there are some great alternatives.
If you ain't bleedin' - you ain't carvin'
taylordekes
DHC Sponsor

Postby TPB » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:02 am

I have to say that I've tried a few different plastic decoys most recently the GHG and have not been happy with any of them they just won't hold there paint. I now have the herters burlaps and they're great. A buddy of mine just bought the dozen millenium mallards for $120 now thats detail. I would take an undetailed herters over an unpainted GHG anyday.
TPB
Newb

Postby vitaminE » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:54 am

I got 12 Herters standard magnum decoys for Christmas several years ago. I was able to mar the finish with my thumbnail right out of the box and found the lack of a cord-wrappable keel VERY annoying. They almost went in the garbage. Then, I searched the net and learned how to burlap them. Using Henry's 664 indoor outdoor carpet paste and thin burlap sacks from the local feed store, I did all 12 of them and painted them with Parkers or Herters paints and two coats of Testors Dullcote flat lacquer. I finished by heating a spackle knife with a torch and melting deep grooves in the front and back of the keel for a place to wrap cord. This was much cheaper than Herter's burlap kit or Supreme decoys. These have become my favorite blocks and the burlap holds paint AMAZINGLY well. Unless you plan on doing some work, stay away from the standard polystyrene decoys and go right to the supreme burlap or cork.
vitaminE
Banned

Postby MinnDuck » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:45 am

i bought a dozen herters bluebill dekes this fall, The only thing I do not like about them is the keel. Wrapping the decoy cord around the body is a pain. The reason i went with herters is because i wanted magnum blueblills and they were the only manufacturer of magnum bills i could find. They look good so far... No complaints besides the keel.
MinnDuck
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:35 am

herters scratch and dent easy and the bill can break off.g&h is the best.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby had » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:58 pm

i use herters and love em. i got the millenium and the burlaps that my freind tpb was talkin about are great. my decoy bag has a place to put the weight in so the keel is not an issue for me. just my preferance :thumbsup:

had
had
hunter

Postby TPB » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:51 am

I went to the cabelas 12 slot bag and the tanglefree line set up.
Just drop em' in! It's been great. I can't say I've had had any problems with the bills. If they just start fillin' off I will be upset.
TPB
Newb

Return to Duck Decoy Forum