decoy spread in relation to the wind?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

decoy spread in relation to the wind?

Postby hood » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:11 am

I have heard that when setting up a decoy spread you have to set it up in relation to wind direction. Is any of this true?
hood
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:58 am

yep. i always set my spread on how the wind is that day
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hood » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:07 am

but how should you do it? facing into the wind, against it, etc....?
hood
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:29 am

if you think about it youll figure it out. make sure your opening in your spread is so that ducks dont have to fly into the wind to land or youll never kill anything.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:36 pm

Ducks land into the wind, (like an airplane) as they also take off into the wind as well. A good basic spread.... make a "V" pointing into the wind, so that the open part of the V is in front of you, this allowing the ducks a place to land (landing zone). If ya got a wind at your back, put decoys on either side of your blind, leaving an open spot in the middle (landing zone). If ya got a wind in your face, you're pretty much screwed.

http://www.dccl.org/information/ducks/decoys-big.htm#Crosswind:
texan68
hunter

Decoys in the wind

Postby MicroMike » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:13 am

I agree. Ducks land into the wind, so there should be a landing area available that allows the ducks to land into the wind. Often times, ducks will fly by and then turn to land in your spread with the wind in their face. That's why I never pass shoot ducks. If you let them alone, they may come into your spread.
MicroMike
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum