cheap decoy weights?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

cheap decoy weights?

Postby Powerstroke » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:48 pm

where could i find strips of lead like they use in the weights? or any other cheap tricks you guys use? :thumbsup:
Hunters make better lovers...they go deep into the bush...shoot many times....and eat what they shoot!!!
Powerstroke
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:16 pm

the strap weights work fine, but I also use 6 and 8 ounce egg fishing weights.
texan68
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:14 am

Go get some tire weights from a tire shop. Some places will try to charge ya but if you look around someone is willing to give ya a bucket full for free. Melt em down and make whatever style weight you want. The strips don't work this way. Apparently they put some kind of rubber or something in with the lead to make them flexible.
I cut a circle in a 2x4 with a hole in the center. I screw some sort of hook or bolt into the center hole, melt the lead and pore it in. When it cools you unscrew the bolt from the center and you have a weight. Good enough for the girls I go with!
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:45 am

I do what chris said. I melt my own. A couple of years ago I bought a mold off the internet that makes two 8 oz. mushroom weights at a time. I've made around 250 or so before the mold started warping a little. I figure since I get 5 lb. lead ingots for free I've got about 16 cents in each weight. If I wasn't melting my own I'd be paying over a buck a weight for my 180 decoys.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:32 am

We scored a good hundred pounds or so of lead this year from my buddy who works in construction I guess it came from a radiology department at a hospital very thin and you could make straps from it, but we also make our own weights, they end up being 12-16 ounces each, like em heavy the don't move in real rough stuff!
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Get'em » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:33 am

i just use hard ware nuts usually i get the half inch nuts just because i hunt the river and i need the wieght to hold the deke but you can use diffent sizes.
Get'em
hunter

Postby Dalros » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:45 am

I use hollow fishing lead that I fold over and crimp with a pair of pliers. It works out ok as can trim to length and weight as I might need to. It's fairly handy to bend around the keel of the deke also. I've only lost a handful of weights in about 10 years of duck hunting.
Sure thing Hun, I'll get right on that...right after hunting season!
Dalros
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:18 pm

Chris how long did teh mold last. Wouldn't the lead melt thru the wood?[/quote]
kyfowler
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:05 am

Nope it doesn't melt through at all. I only bore it about a quarter to half an inch deep. I still use a propane torch to melt it and you will burn the mold out eventually, but I can get around 15-20 out of one mold. Then you just move on down the 2x4.
Another thing I found out: if you use water keel decoys you can take a hacksaw and make a notch in the keel and pull the line through it no worrying about the line coming undone.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:12 am

ol' yeller wrote:I do what chris said. I melt my own. A couple of years ago I bought a mold off the internet that makes two 8 oz. mushroom weights at a time. I've made around 250 or so before the mold started warping a little. I figure since I get 5 lb. lead ingots for free I've got about 16 cents in each weight. If I wasn't melting my own I'd be paying over a buck a weight for my 180 decoys.

i had that same problem i use about anything for weights though :oops:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kyfowler » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:46 pm

Chris

How big was you hole, and do you know how heavy the weights are.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:10 pm

Get you some Dixie cups, a bag of the ready mix concrete and some screw in eye hole thingy.(something you would put on a picture frame)
You can make around 50 anchors for under 15 bucks.

Mix the quick-create and pour it into all the little Dixie-Cups, let it set up a bit and before it sets up too much put the eye-screw in the middle. After it is set up tear off and discard the cups............................ready mix anchors.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:14 pm

I use the big hooks, I believe they are called rafter hooks. But I have used any large bolt. I'd say the hole is generally the diameter of an ink pen. As far as the weight goes I have no idea. It all depends on how deep I make the hole. If I had to guess I'd say aroun 6-8 ounces. I got a line on some flexible lead last night, so we'll see if i can make the neck strap weights when I get it.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:32 pm

I use skybusters.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:20 pm

hvacfowler wrote:Get you some Dixie cups, a bag of the ready mix concrete and some screw in eye hole thingy.(something you would put on a picture frame)
You can make around 50 anchors for under 15 bucks.

Mix the quick-create and pour it into all the little Dixie-Cups, let it set up a bit and before it sets up too much put the eye-screw in the middle. After it is set up tear off and discard the cups............................ready mix anchors.

works great jsut a little heavy :thumbsup:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum