crap decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

crap decoys

Postby duckslayer_55 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 pm

u guys ever got the flambeu deeks. i think they suck. i bought them and they looked great out of the box. after 6 hunts with em. the paint was chipping off really bad. and the keel is not very good either. my suggestion. DO NOT BUY!! :no:
duckslayer_55
hunter

Re: crap decoys

Postby mgriffiths05 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:53 pm

the older flambeau's look like crap but man they were durable!!!!!.the only ones i have are some that i have found on the water...and i don't use 'em
KILL 'EM!!!!
mgriffiths05
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:44 am

The old flammies did look good....but I had a ton of them in the 80's through to 2003...and all the paint came off of them.
I had C/L's, Quack's, Sport Plasti, G&H, + 2-3 other brands I can't think of, right off the bat. All of them had paint problems, and people think this is something new>> :no: :beer:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:41 am

I have Flambeau mallards, pintails, woodies and green wings. Some were bought new and some used,...all have been repainted at least once and still do service. Keels are a problem with some, especially those hollow (square) tube keels on the woodies. The water keels seem to work okay.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:44 am

new is nothing like the old.....I keep some plastics for occaisional uses and quite a few are Flambeaus from back in the 80's are still in good condition....a bit faded and some chips from alot of use, but still very serviceable
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Chris Keppler » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:41 pm

I have some of those same decoys and wow they do suck. The paint was coming off in large flakes after even the first trip and half of them have water on the inside. I absolutely will NEVER touch another Flambeau decoy again.

I know "all" modern plastic decoys seem to have paint issues. But I have some old G & H that I know are pushing 30 years old at least and likely older and besides being rubbed and really dirty the color is still where it is supposed to be. I even have carry lights that are probably 15 years old and they look dirty but good. The ability to put decent paint on a decoy was once out there do decoy makers just not care anymore about quality?
Chris Keppler
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Actually now that I think more of it,..what I have is probably a wide variety of Flambeau, Carrylite, Quacks (really good black ducks !) and maybe some others. I repaint them all whenever they need it or I want to freshen them up so by this time it would be hard to judge which ones have held their original paint and which ones have not.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Most my decoys are used anyways...so they probably look like crap compared to a lot of them out there, but they still bring in birds.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby mox » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:36 pm

duckslayer_55 wrote:u guys ever got the flambeu deeks. i think they suck. i bought them and they looked great out of the box. after 6 hunts with em. the paint was chipping off really bad. and the keel is not very good either. my suggestion. DO NOT BUY!! :no:

so what do you do when the paint chips off? they sale paint every weekday at your local craft store. you have 300+ days to repaint last year's spread. unless of course you're a big deal and own/use 30-150 dozen decoys...
C M ducks?
M R not ducks.
O S M R 2 Ducks!
L I B, M R ducks.
---------------------
mox
hunter

Postby fishduck » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:20 pm

All plastic decoys suck! Get you some foam or cork decoys.

Life is to short to hunt over plastic decoys,
Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:08 am

Flamboeu, is junk!!!!! I've never understood why their still in business except price! An o'le Timer to me to take a picture of mine 30 yrs. age and call him when finished, i did all my goose & mallard drakes were BLUE in the pictures! I sold? gave them away and bought G&H only! :hammer:
decoycarver
hunter

Postby ntx_duckster » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:15 am

On my last day of the season, I found an old Flambeau hen mallard floating freely. The date on the bottom of the decoy was 1996. Looked like the original paint also. No chips or flaking. I would have to say they don't make them as durable anymore. I kept it and will use it next year.
ntx_duckster
hunter

Postby tlady4239 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:56 pm

I have 2big bags of flambeau plastic decoys that r bout 20yrs old and they r still in very good shape. I don't know anything bout these decoys except what I have read on here. Does anyone know where I can possibly sell these. I live in western ky
tlady4239
Newb

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:27 pm

tlady4239 wrote:I have 2big bags of flambeau plastic decoys that r bout 20yrs old and they r still in very good shape. I don't know anything bout these decoys except what I have read on here. Does anyone know where I can possibly sell these. I live in western ky

I don't know if you noticed but this thread is 2 years old. Put them on the classifieds on the forum on Craigslist, but don't ask some ridiculous price.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:17 pm

They sold crap decoys two years ago and just as many are being sold today! All you have to do is look for the "Made in China" stamp and you know you have a crap decoy. :yes:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum