help me buy some decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

help me buy some decoys

Postby aarongreen123 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:10 am

i am new to duck hunting and want to buy some decoys. i will be huning on large rivers in coastal southeazt virginia. what species of decoys should i get. do you mix something like bluebills with mallard decoys? sorry for the dumb questions, but i'm starting from scratch. i plan to buy 3 or four dozen total. let me know what you think as far as what species and how many of each to get, also brand names. not trying to spend more than is necessary, but have a few bucks set aside.
thanks
aaron
aarongreen123
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:47 pm

What species do you see most???
texan68
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:34 pm

Well if your hunting a large river i would go with something big. I hunt the same style of grounds and we have Magnums and Super Magnums.
depending on types of ducks. FLAMBEAU and CARRY-LITE are my 2 fav they are affordable and they make a good solid decoy. We have more black ducks down here so we use blacks and mallards but we shoot ring necks teal woodies pretty much all ducks will decoy to blacks and mallard
but my moto
is GO BIG OR GO HOME!!

good-luck with the decoys
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby Spencer5100 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:23 pm

if you see mallards and widgeon, throw that out
if you see teal and divers, throw them out
buy whatever species youre seeing
as far as type, id reccomend some GHG hot buys for mallards and life sizes for everthing :thumbsup:
Spencer5100
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:44 pm

the thing is though SPENCER 5100 the guy is new to duck hunting and probably doesn't want to spend $500 on decoys for every type of BIRD he's hunting. So then ya gotta take the easiest route out!
go with what is cheap and works well in all circumstances
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:38 pm

Get some mallard and black duck decoys. I think you are still in black duck country there so the blacks will help. Black ducks show up better than almost all waterfowl from a distance so don't be afraid to use more blacks than mallards. Plus, blacks are so much more wary than mallards usually and by using blacks, your spread makes it look like a safe area for the birds. If you are getting 4 dozen, maybe get a half dozen or a dozen divers to put off to one side of the spread for times you have divers around and the other 3 dozen mallard and blacks. That would be a pretty good spread. I am kind of partial towards herters but if you are just starting out get the best you can afford. Sometimes investing in a slightly higher quality decoy will actually save you money in the long run because you wont have to replace cheap deeks.

The first decoys I ever bought was a dozen model 72 herters mallards.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:40 am

Mike

i was thinking about buting some herters deeks but was concerned about weight. how heavy are the deeks.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:21 pm

a herters model 72 with herters head weighs close to 2lbs.
Mike M.
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum