Setting and Retrieving deocys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Setting and Retrieving deocys

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:05 am

I am new to hunting from a boat and using decoys. I have a 17th mod V and a Go Devil Longtail. It is not the most condusive rig to handling Decoys. I used kayaks and that was cake. This is much more difficult. I bought some waders to walk them out, but in the Florida Muck and the salt water marshes I find myself stuck up to my knees. What do you guys suggest. :help:
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:06 am

You could use a decoy retriever pole.http://www.mackspw.com/sort.asp?id=272_ ... _Retriever

Or one tip that i know of is to take like 20 feet of decoy line, attacht a weight onto it and then take a screw driver and drive a bunch of screws into the lead weight so they are sticking out. Then you throw the weight underneaith your decoy so the screws will catch the line and you can pull it back in. Have a good season! :thumbsup:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Duck Whittler » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:25 am

When I was hunting where we picked up decoys every day I would just let the wind blow me through the decoys and grab every one I could then wrap them up while coming around for the next pass , about 3 times like that and you have the majority of them then just motor around to get the strays you missed .. Three guys could pick up 120 decoys in about 10 mins that way.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:19 pm

Up here on the new england salt marshes we have no choice but to set the decoys and pick them up from the boat. The salt marsh bottoms are very soft. When putting them out I like to anchor the boat and take my time and put them out that way. Put the decoy in the water first, then toss the weight and line in. Pick up and put down the anchor as needed until you get them all out. you dont have to pull the anchor all the way in, just enough so your anchor does not grab. When you are done, and ready to go home, I use a push pole with a decoy retriever attachment and do it that way. Just motor up to the spread and start picking them up using the pole. Makes life much easier and you dont have to lean over the side either for safety sake to pick up the decoys.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:10 pm

Gang rig ya a few :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:55 pm

Gang rigs are nice and 2 guys can easily throw out and pick up an entire spread in no time flat ecspecially nice if the weather turns bad, but you cannot beat the look of singles, we have converted all of our layout rigs to singles, just personally preference, does anyone gang rig puddlers, just curious LOL?
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Thanks

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:04 am

I appreciate it. I hunted the St. Johns today and yesterday. I positioned myself in the middle and place decoys around using a push pole. When I finished I waded out to get them dragging my boat.

I thought it was to cold for the gators. I drove off a hundred feet and almost ran one over.

When we hunt the salt marsh. It is almost to shallow to push pole and to mucky to walk. I am going to try the weight with a drag string on some and gang rigging on others. I will let you know how it goes.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum