Lifesize vs. Mags

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Lifesize vs. Mags

Postby MinnDuck » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:40 pm

Just wondering your guy's opinions on mixing lifesize dekes and mag dekes in the same spread. Do you think it makes a difference? Would you mix them together? I have 3 dozen mags and 2 dozen lifesize dekes. Here in the early season I only throw out maybe 2 dozen mags, but with the late season flight coming down I want to have more dekes out. Just wondering if any of you have any tips. Thanks.
MinnDuck
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:00 am

I haven't noticed it make any difference. Ducks really don't have the ability to judge size.

I have actually started shooting more birds since I switched from all lifesize to mixing lifesize, magnums and supermagnum decoys. IMO, the ducks can see the mags and super mags from further away.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:46 am

Yes when hunting open areas or open water the mags and super mags give the ducks something they can see which will help get more ducks in you spread. Just like geese you use super mags and mags because geese have bad depth perception letting you use decoys that they can see from a very long distance away and not have them spook when they get close because by that time there on the ground and my barrel is smokin'.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:56 am

These are mag and super mag G&H mallards along with some mag Flambeau pintails. You can't really even tell that much of a difference in the picture.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby MinnDuck » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:11 am

Hey thanks guys, pretty much confirms what I was thinking, believe me, my buddies and I have been battling on this one for a while now. I just had to post it to get some different opinions. Hey ol' yeller I really like the picture... Thanks for sending it.
MinnDuck
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:26 am

Nothing like an constant echo-I agree with yeller again
:yes:
There is no problem with mixing life size and mags together from my experience. As for Smags and regs-well it does look kind of funny... but I am not convinced it would make a difference unless they have been gunned hard already and are being super finicky.

I use Smags duck decoys because I predominately hunt big water. At 100 yds you can not even see the white on reg sized Can decoys, 200 yds for mags and 400 yds for the S mags is all the distance I can see on the Smags on a windy day. They do key in on them easier in my experience.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum