Styrofoam Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Styrofoam Decoys

Postby Gibber » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:48 pm

I added this post to another thread for foam decoys covered with burlap but decided some might miss it and I should start a new one so everyone can read this. A friend of mine developed this system for making decoys over 25 years ago. This method makes durable, very functional decoys in less time than burlaping. As with other posts u take pieces of the white bead styrofoam large enough for the decoys you are making and glue one on top of the other to get the desired thickness. Using knives, saws and surfoam shapers you shape the foam to that of a duck. Now is where these decoys differ from any others I have seen. You take the entire decoy and coat ( brush or dip ) it with polyurethane. Be careful here as some kinds will eat the foam. After this you stick the wet foam in a box or bag of sawdust, then remove and shake off excess and when the polyurethane dries you have a hard, rough surface to paint. I have at times recoated a second time and made the coating thicker. I also make the heads using the same procedures and attach the heads by putting a eyebolt in from the bottom up into the neck with epoxy. My decoy bodies have a hole about an inch in diameter where the head sits and i attach a heavy rubber band to the eyebolt, through this hole and secure to a notch in the wooden keel.
Cut em' up
Gibber
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:05 am

thanks for sharing --- yes, that will work - I've used cork dust rather than the sawdust, but same general textured affect.......is'nt that what restle uses as a method? I don't think they use polyurathane.....some sort of adhesive...I can't remeber what I used but it was a 3M product....but same result
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:13 pm

Giiber great tip, similar to some of the original Restle coatings I believe sawdust and another special ingredient
DUK I posted that yesterday great minds think alike! :salude:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:15 pm

:withstupid: and the dust will give it a textured look :thumbsup:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum