painting herter's decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

painting herter's decoys

Postby okie_duck » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:25 pm

Can you guys give me some suggestions on how to re-paint a Herters solid foam decoy? I have had these decoys for 7-8 years now and it seems that I have to re-paint them every season and touch them up throughout the season. The paint seems to just keep rubbing off. This year I bought a couple of the avery 12 slot bags and this is helping, but I would like some recomendations on how to paint them so the paint won't rub off.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!
okie_duck
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:35 pm

burlap!!!!!!

Burlappiing (as explained in the sticky at the top of the forum) is an easy project with great rewards.....paint (even basic latex ext) will last for years with only minor smudges/rubs/mars.....no chipping!!!! the finish is non-glare....textured.....it is hard to get alot of detail though, but Herter's blocks are not detailed anyhow.....another plus is doing the Herter's heads in realistic colors!!! They are easy to repaint, just acetone the old paint, prime and use general acrylics. I suggest a quality set of brushes to increase workability.

Good luck....this is an easy, fun and worthwhile project. Just be sure to get in complete cure time....do not think you can use the next weekend!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby okie_duck » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:29 pm

THANKS for the tip!!

I have been giving it a lot of consideration and I believe that I will take this project on after season. Looks to be more durable than just re-painting the foam blocks.
okie_duck
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum