Confidence Decoy?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Confidence Decoy?

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:49 am

I've been told that a seagull decoy is great for confidence, and was thinking about getting one to put at 40 yds. as a distance marker. Does or has anyone used one? Also, I was told that ducks won't land over another bird, is this true, and if it is, where would I put a gull decoy. I currently have two geese floaters and I either place them close to where I'm standing on shore, or off to one side, up wind of my spread.....is this the right thing to do.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby taylordekes » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:59 pm

I have used a gull and it works fine. You could also try a heron, coot or a merganser - whichever is numerous where you hunt. As far as landing over other birds - thats a first for me.
If you ain't bleedin' - you ain't carvin'
taylordekes
DHC Sponsor

Postby WIUPgamer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:50 am

Concerning confidence decoys: I was always told a confidence decoy should be something that is known to be very wary and will only be someplace if its safe. Thus I use a Heron decoy. I'll often set it right on the blind too. It seems to work great. Seagulls will come right up to people for food so It wouldn't be my first choice for a confidence decoy. But if your seagull works for you in your area then by all means keep using it.

Concerning ducks landing over other birds: They may prefer not to, but I had two mallards land right next to, and right on top of my remote control goose decoy, while it was moving, with the electric motor whirring (Its a magnum goose shell with a remote control toy boat in it). The one that all but hit the decoy may not have intended to do so, but it did. It ended up less then a foot from the decoy when it hit the water. I have read some older hunting books where they talk about leaving an opening for the ducks to land in and a clear pathway to it from the downwind side. I'm sure this works, and in some areas with certain ducks it might even be crucial. It isn't where I've hunted though.
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby Wingshot3 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:18 am

I use a heron decoy! I put it on the outside of my blind usually to the far right of the blind where shots are limited, I think its made my hunts better by using it.
Fill em with Steel!!
Wingshot3
hunter

Postby WIUPgamer » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:06 am

I saw something last night, which has changed my opinion on gulls as confidence decoys. There was a large raft of gulls on the lake we hunted last night. Sometime between when we spotted them from the blind and when we were heading out, they moved. Right into our homeward path. We ended up driving right through the middle of the flock (300+ birds). I slowed down right away and gulls were going in all directions. Then I saw the distinct silhouette of a large duck taking off. It was getting dark and I couldn’t tell if there were more, but with that many wings in the air, I could have easily missed some. It looked like a mallard but it was too dark to tell for sure. It was a duck of similar size and flight characteristics. So anyway, I think ducks are cool with hanging out with gulls.

So anybody know where I can find 200 seagull decoys?
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:53 pm

I use a floating boat blind and took 2 of the old carrylite stake gulls and attached some battery terminal clips so they stand up on the rails, noticeable difference when I forget to bring them. Carved a Loon a few years back and set it up downwind of my diver rig, the divers nearly always fly directly over it.
Cobra
hunter

heron

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:54 pm

i was think about getting a heron do you guys think that they are worth the moeny or help when hunting ... jsut see if you guys think they help or not.
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WIUPgamer » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:47 am

I also have a floating boat blind. I made a grass mat to lay over the top of the opening between the two occupants. That way the opening doesn't stick out so bad when viewed from above. I place my heron decoy right on this mat so it looks like it is sitting on top of the 'little island'. I used this set up last year in Michigan where you can set up in open water and it worked great. We were at least 60 yards from the nearest emergent vegetation and didn't flare anything. There were lilly pads near us and a few short stumps about 20 yards away. The boat/blind was fully exposed though.

I'd wait until after the season is over and get it on sale. Not too many people buy them and many stores end up with a few left over after the season is over. I bought mine during the season last year specifically for my boat/blind. When I bought it they had two in the store. Three or so months after the season ended the other one was still there and cost about $10 less then I had paid. On the other hand.....all the ducks that didn't flare last year were worth the extra $10 to me.
WIUPgamer
hunter

Postby MICAH » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:37 pm

Coots work great in the south. Real good for divers. Put out 2-3 doz coots and 6 rigs or bluebills and they will come.
MICAH
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:40 am

Heron and seagulls work....heron in the marshes and I like seagulls when hunting open water in the MLB....other confidence dekes I use are full body mallards or blacks on the tidal sand/mud, this has a big pull on birds!

For geese I like two confidence dekes.....crows and a turkey! That's right, I use a turkey at times. Turkeys and crows are consistently in the same fields the Canadas are using.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum