Deep Water Setup

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Deep Water Setup

Postby Webfoot12 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:13 am

I'm curious to know how you guys set up a spread of dekes for water that's obviously too deep for just a line and weight? I like to hunt this river but its get deep real fast and the only way I can place decoys is right up next to shore.

Just wanting to learn some rigs for deepand moving water, that have worked for you you.

Thanks
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:21 pm

The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Re: Deep Water Setup

Postby Duck/Deer Slayer » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:41 am

Webfoot12 wrote:I'm curious to know how you guys set up a spread of dekes for water that's obviously too deep for just a line and weight? I like to hunt this river but its get deep real fast and the only way I can place decoys is right up next to shore.

Just wanting to learn some rigs for deepand moving water, that have worked for you you.

Thanks
I'm from Illinois and we hunt on a lake tha is about 40 feet deep we just bye styrofoam cups buy a morter mix and mix it then put it in the cups and you have about a 1,2,3 pound weight
Duck/Deer Slayer
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:14 pm

Here is a tip, or somthing to think about I guess! I dont know if you are using a boat or not, but if you dont have a boat it is not a good idea to hunt that close to deep water.

How are you going to retrieve those downed ducks?

I hunt the missouri river all the time and where we set up there is a huge flat so we can wade out to get them. I used to setup in a place that was like where you are, but after watching 2 ducks I shot float down river, never to be retrieved I said forget that and now I might walk a little farther but at least I dont loose birds! Just somthing to think about.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:51 pm

Thats a great point KCDMaster, I want to assume webfoot you have a dog or boat for the retrieving of your birds.

Now are these puddlers your hunting? If so your good to go up close to shore. Most of mine are in just inches of water, divers on the other hand you might think of going with long lines. You can find all you need to know about that on the divers page. good luck :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum