Hot Buy GHG

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Hot Buy GHG

Postby vikingsfan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:03 pm

How many of you own or have had experience with the GHG hot buy mallards. I will most likely be getting a dozen soon and would like to know how they hold up and if they are good for the money. Thanks
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:27 pm

For $20 they are the best decoys for the money hands down.

If you hunt them hard they will last a couple seasons.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:29 pm

Honestly I do not care for GHG but for my walk in marsh spread I use 2 1/2 dozen of em a few pinnies and a few teal about 3 1/2-4 dozen when its all said and done, the paint does suck, although I use all ACE anchors I love them anchors, but they kill birds fine thats all that matters and for how cheap they are you can replace em every few years
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:43 pm

For the 30 bucks, they are a decent decoy. They have paint problems, but work well, and look nice. I just snapped a keel off one in the cold on Sunday...but for what I paid it didn't worry me, now it's a field decoy.

However, I now will purchase a more quality decoy. It just makes more sense than paying 30 bucks for 3-4 doz every few years.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:10 am

Buy the GHG, for the money you cant beat them. Also if you take care of your Dekes, they will last longer, just like anything.
yellodog1
State Moderator

try this

Postby Bluebill Buster » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:57 am

I took this advice off someone and it works wonders. I spray all my new dekes with Krylon matte finish #1611 (i think) I usually give them 3 coats, and two days to dry in between each coat.

It makes all the difference in the world of keeping the paint on any decoy!

If you catch Cabelas during a sale $19.99 for a dozen realistic looking dekes is worth it. Keep them for a few years and then donate them to a local chapter of DU for their youth program.
Bluebill Buster
hunter

Postby Willhunt4food » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 pm

I bought a dozen this year and I really lik them. They ride around in the back of my truck ALL the time and I have had no problem with the paint.
I would buy some more if my puddle was bigger!!
Willhunt4food
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:37 am

I hunt with 2 dozen of them. I think they are great. And for the price, they can't be beat.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:48 am

I mix a couple dozen in with my 115 decoy spread and their a great looking decoy at any cost. The paint is holding out fine. I touch up my decoys with exterior latex paint every year after the season and they don't need anymore paint than the rest of them. Just enough paint to stop the shinny plastic from gleaming through. Real ducks don't shine and on a bright day I know it will spook birds.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:59 am

If you want to here a down side to them, here's one. I don't like the keels. None of the different types of weights we use will attatch to them, they just fall off. If you attatch the weight to the heads, then that's a different story.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby locked n landing » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:13 pm

Casey has a valid point. The keels on the hot buy deeks don't leave much room for anchors. I popped the end off the keel and dumped out the sand and on the opposite end drilled a hole and turned them into water keel deeks. That made them a little lighter to carry and gave me a spot to attach the ace anchor. I'm with ISHOOTDIVERS I love ace anchors.
locked n landing
hunter

Postby sioutdoors » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:42 pm

bought a dozen when they first came out and all the paint fell off the second day i used them. plus like everyone else cant attach an anchor anywhere. Cleaned the up with acetone and painted them to look like buffle heads and the paint has ben on ever since. Did send GHG a email requesting new paint and paint scheme never herd frome them. I will never buy a GHG or avery (parent company) product again and havent yet. :thumbsdown:
belly up feet kicking
http://sihunters.blogspot.com/
sioutdoors
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:26 pm

I've hunted over mine hard for two seasons and haven't had a problem with the paint. The ace anchors fit over the keels just fine. The one issue I do have with them, is that with the ace anchors and the keels, it's tough to short string them for different depths of water. More than likely I'll be buying a couple dozen more Hot Buys next year along with some of the more expensive GHG's as well.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:08 pm

THERE 20 DOLLARS, how can you complain about a decoy that looks like those for 20 dollars. I dont have any hot buys but I do have some of their life size mallards, and wigeon and yes the paint is coming off but again you get what you pay for. I just use them as fillers with my G&H.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby MrCamoClad » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:40 pm

I own 2 doz of them and for the price they cant be beat ! - This is my second season with them and yes 1 of my hens lost all of her paint - but for 20 bucks they are the best deal going. Its the only deke the has a problem - all the other look great considering I throw them all in the same bag.

Now as for other Avery/GHG decoys - I picked up a doz of their new oversized Black duck decoys....man - these are the most realistic decoys I have ever used. I put out a few pods of blacks mixed in with the Mallards - seems to work pretty well for me.

I also picked up a 6 of their new Full bodied with the motion stakes....It make the most realisitic spread I have ever seen.

For me Avery/GHG products are the best products going.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby firebird » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:24 pm

I've steered away from the hot buys, opting instead for the full bodies and more recently the full bodieds on the motion stakes which we do extremely well with on sand bars on the river. Over the years I've had trouble with the paint on all brands but early on ghg really had some unaddressed troubles -I'm anxious to try that matte spray tip. Iwish there would have been hot buys when Iwas 12 and staring wide eyed at the cabela's catalog. For the money they are impossible to beat and still superior to most of the competition.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum