Spinners!!!

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Spinners!!!

Postby CrackerJackShot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:46 pm

Now I THINK im experiencing some difficulties with spinners. Sometimes we have ducks working really well, everything is perfect. Then they just start to flare as they go over the spinner. Our blinds couldnt be better, theirs ripples in the water around the dekes, calling has not been an issue and seems to be what keeps them comming around for another look. Does anybody else think that they might be having that problem?!
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:27 am

guys near me Sat had a spinner and a huge set-up.....I got all the action with only five blocks (three blacks and a pr of mallards)......the spinner seemed to pull birds from afar....but nothing would comitt to their set-up.....I watch a flock of about 30 on my way out....drew into their rig, but flared off to land about 30 yards behind them!

another first hand experience that convinces me spinners suck wind!!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:11 pm

yeah, I think that it might not be in full effect yet. But I believe that soon its the spreads WITHOUT a spinner will be the ones killing everything. Congrats on your hunt.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:33 pm

I may be on my own but I still enjoy the spinners we will use them almost every day from opening day until the end and we do well. Last weekend before the split. Saturday two spinners four ducks, Sunday left at home on charge and did not fire a shot maybe just a coincidence. But I will continue to use them until I cant anymore.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:41 am

Oh yeah Im not saying that their not working at all anymore. They definatly are. In the early morning we constantly have ducks fly right in within a couple feet of the spinner. That tells you that its working. Its just late morning when the sun is up good and the smart mallards are flying that it starts to look unatural or something that causes them to flare.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:06 pm

Try turning it off later in the day and see what that does.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:35 pm

it all depends on the day some days I use a spinner and no birds coem in on other days we get every bird that flys to come in. so its all a guessing game I 'm lucky here in AK the ducks haven't seen spinners yet so they will be more effecteive up here.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:05 pm

yeah turning if off is what we've been starting to do. and we have gotten several to commit with it off. So I guess thats the ticket. We need to get one with a remote so we can turn it on to attract then turn it off. Either that or get one that continuously turns on and off throughout the morning. What I REALLY like is being able to get it in a spot under some brush where they cant really see it THAT well, it makes them pull in real close just to look at it.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:27 pm

If your hunting out of a blind just run some small wire to it and mount a regular light switch in the blind, break the positive to the battery with the switch and turn it off after you get their attention.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:49 pm

:withstupid:
Great idea. Sorry it's the only face that has an arrow pointing up!
:mrgreen:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby quack4 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:08 am

what about using a remote and geting the birds close then turning it off. how does that work? i don't have a remote for mine but was thinking of geting one.
quack4
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:58 am

The only bad thing about buying a remote is that they cost almost just as much as the decoy.
:thumbsdown:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:45 pm

The spinner works great for me in early season - had ducks pratically dive bombing our spreads - as the season progresses I have noticed that some ducks do flare when they get close. I bought the remote this year and I leave it on to get their attention but when they make their first circle i turn it off. - This has been working well for us so far this year.

MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum