Homemade motion duck decoy

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby JMac202 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I've been toying with an idea of using a power head type deal for a fish take as a motor for a motion decoy. Only problem is and maybe some of you electrical guys could help me here is converting a wall plug 110 unit to a battery powered unit 6 or 12v). I have it laying around and figure I could try and put it to good use.

It has a base I could make a quick attach for with studs and wingnuts so it doesnt get broken. It pushes water very well and I can adjust the angle of the head to create ripples in the water behind the decoy.

Here's what it looks like with the guard over the propeller.
Image

Without.
Image
User avatar
JMac202
hunter
 
Posts: 762
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: Wichita, Ks


Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby vpadfsu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Anyone tried this one: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/funny-mini-big-weasel-ball-beaver-chaser-ball.html I think its waterproof too...

it runs on 2 AA batteries...more power, more motion, long battery life? (hopefully)

What is the true battery life on the 1 AA battery weasel ball with the button and without the buttom for on and off
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
User avatar
vpadfsu
hunter
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago il

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:39 pm

good find Vpad...they're about $7 on amazon..might be worth the extra $2
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:36 am
Location: Fallbrook

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:43 am

Looks like the motor is the same size, just the outside ball is bigger which wouldn't change the action of the ball since it is the spinning motor that creates the action. That is, unless the two batteries allow the motor to spin faster? Also, it appears that there is additional room between the motor and the edge of the ball (of which there is none on the original weasel) which would allow taping/gluing additional weight (lead fishing sinkers?) to the spinning motor which would increase the rocking motion.

Giver 'er a try.
User avatar
tenfingergrip
hunter
 
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby vpadfsu » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:23 am

There are two different sizes:

(1) Size:85(H)*85(D)mm

(2) Size:88(H)*88(D)mm and this one weights roughly 40grams more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUFfzw30ows

Are you sure on motor being the same as the single battery ones?
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
User avatar
vpadfsu
hunter
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago il

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:48 am

No, I was just going on the picture that shows the open ball and the motor looks similar to the older style motors, just with two battery ports. It's obvious that there is plenty of additional space between the motor casing/counter-weight and inside of the ball, hence the assumption that the motor was the same size.

Would think by making the circumference of the ball larger, the same size motor would make the rolling (weasel) ball roll faster/farther on one revolution of the motor but have no affect on a fixed ball inside a decoy (assuming the ball is affixed to the inside of the deke). If it is a "loose" ball inside the deke, it should have more motion if there is more weight in the ball. That's why I suggested you may want to add weight to motor, which looks like there is plenty of space to do just that.

Maybe one of our "resident engineers" could shed some light on this theory. I'm just a certified tinkerer.
User avatar
tenfingergrip
hunter
 
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby SATX duckman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:36 pm

Ok so here at work on a Saturday night killing time reading up on things and came across this thread. I have not tried any of the things you have mentioned but i have been thinking about all of the designs. Was wondering if any one attached a string on the upper inside of the decoy and tried suspending the ball from the string as not to touch the bottom of the decoy and allowing it to freely move inside the decoy suspended. Now having not tried this i don't know if the string will add to or take away from the motion of the decoy. I guess it depends on how much movement the ball actually produces. I'm thinking it will allow the ball to turn in a bigger circle freely inside the decoy creating more of a ripple than the ball just rolling around inside the decoy hitting something then changing direction. Like when you were a kid in a swing you kick your legs to go forward and pull them back to go backwards while suspended. If you swung hard enough you could pull the poles of you swing set out of the ground.
Just an idea this could not work at all but heck people are trying everything on here so why not. If i can i'll give it a go next week and see how it turns out. Luckily I live near some cracker barrels.
SATX duckman
hunter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby MODuckkiller » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:28 pm

SATX duckman wrote:Ok so here at work on a Saturday night killing time reading up on things and came across this thread. I have not tried any of the things you have mentioned but i have been thinking about all of the designs. Was wondering if any one attached a string on the upper inside of the decoy and tried suspending the ball from the string as not to touch the bottom of the decoy and allowing it to freely move inside the decoy suspended. Now having not tried this i don't know if the string will add to or take away from the motion of the decoy. I guess it depends on how much movement the ball actually produces. I'm thinking it will allow the ball to turn in a bigger circle freely inside the decoy creating more of a ripple than the ball just rolling around inside the decoy hitting something then changing direction. Like when you were a kid in a swing you kick your legs to go forward and pull them back to go backwards while suspended. If you swung hard enough you could pull the poles of you swing set out of the ground.
Just an idea this could not work at all but heck people are trying everything on here so why not. If i can i'll give it a go next week and see how it turns out. Luckily I live near some cracker barrels.

This is a great idea, and I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but I have a sneaking suspicion you'll have a hard time keeping the ball from wiggling its way free of the lie holding it up.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby vpadfsu » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:07 am

MODuckkiller wrote:
SATX duckman wrote:Ok so here at work on a Saturday night killing time reading up on things and came across this thread. I have not tried any of the things you have mentioned but i have been thinking about all of the designs. Was wondering if any one attached a string on the upper inside of the decoy and tried suspending the ball from the string as not to touch the bottom of the decoy and allowing it to freely move inside the decoy suspended. Now having not tried this i don't know if the string will add to or take away from the motion of the decoy. I guess it depends on how much movement the ball actually produces. I'm thinking it will allow the ball to turn in a bigger circle freely inside the decoy creating more of a ripple than the ball just rolling around inside the decoy hitting something then changing direction. Like when you were a kid in a swing you kick your legs to go forward and pull them back to go backwards while suspended. If you swung hard enough you could pull the poles of you swing set out of the ground.
Just an idea this could not work at all but heck people are trying everything on here so why not. If i can i'll give it a go next week and see how it turns out. Luckily I live near some cracker barrels.

This is a great idea, and I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but I have a sneaking suspicion you'll have a hard time keeping the ball from wiggling its way free of the lie holding it up.



Already done that...just make sure you seal the cut out part on decoy because it goes crazy. I used a paper clip to attach the ball to the decoy... :thumbsup:
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
User avatar
vpadfsu
hunter
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago il

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby SATX duckman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:23 pm

I saw on a previous post a guy used a screw to secure the ball to the decoy. Just use a screw to secure the string to the ball. If its too much maybe suspend it in the middle of two strings one attached at top and one at bottom. Somewhat loose ought to allow it to keep its circular motion and transfer it to the decoy. Ill see if i cant get one and test this out outside a decoy tmrw at work.
SATX duckman
hunter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby Skye Bustin' » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:05 pm

vpadfsu wrote:
MODuckkiller wrote:
SATX duckman wrote:Ok so here at work on a Saturday night killing time reading up on things and came across this thread. I have not tried any of the things you have mentioned but i have been thinking about all of the designs. Was wondering if any one attached a string on the upper inside of the decoy and tried suspending the ball from the string as not to touch the bottom of the decoy and allowing it to freely move inside the decoy suspended. Now having not tried this i don't know if the string will add to or take away from the motion of the decoy. I guess it depends on how much movement the ball actually produces. I'm thinking it will allow the ball to turn in a bigger circle freely inside the decoy creating more of a ripple than the ball just rolling around inside the decoy hitting something then changing direction. Like when you were a kid in a swing you kick your legs to go forward and pull them back to go backwards while suspended. If you swung hard enough you could pull the poles of you swing set out of the ground.
Just an idea this could not work at all but heck people are trying everything on here so why not. If i can i'll give it a go next week and see how it turns out. Luckily I live near some cracker barrels.

This is a great idea, and I'm not trying to be a debbie downer, but I have a sneaking suspicion you'll have a hard time keeping the ball from wiggling its way free of the lie holding it up.



Already done that...just make sure you seal the cut out part on decoy because it goes crazy. I used a paper clip to attach the ball to the decoy... :thumbsup:


I love the ideas with this weasel and string. Is there any way you guys can get a picture of this method? I'm more of a visual guy and reading about it just doesn't work in my head :huh: I'm thinking of buying a few of these and giving it a shot.
User avatar
Skye Bustin'
hunter
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 pm
Location: Back down south, don't you know

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby ODBoutdoors » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:32 pm

JMac202 wrote:I've been toying with an idea of using a power head type deal for a fish take as a motor for a motion decoy. Only problem is and maybe some of you electrical guys could help me here is converting a wall plug 110 unit to a battery powered unit 6 or 12v). I have it laying around and figure I could try and put it to good use.

It has a base I could make a quick attach for with studs and wingnuts so it doesnt get broken. It pushes water very well and I can adjust the angle of the head to create ripples in the water behind the decoy.

Here's what it looks like with the guard over the propeller.
Image

Without.
Image


I have a solution if you havent found one yet:
I highly doubt that the motor itself is actually a 120VAC motor (I dont know of any that small), so most likey there is a small transformer (converts 120 vAC into a small DC current). If you open the plastic housing you will probably see a thing that looks like a coil of very small copper wires, this is the transformer. Look for two wires that connect the transformer to the motor, and cut them at the transformer. Now all you have to do is find out how many DC volts the motor needs in order to run, and find (or make) a battery pack to power it and splice it into the two cut wires.

Good luck
ishootducks
ODBoutdoors
hunter
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: southeast of disorder

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby robert331 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Found Weasel Balls on sale at Amazon.com for $6.65 free shipping took 5 days to get them. :thumbsup:
User avatar
robert331
hunter
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:57 am
Location: Montgomery AL

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby vpadfsu » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:38 am

I buy mine from cracker barrel. Life time warranty with reciept...already exchanged two wet motors for new ones no questions asked...
VPAD
jameis winston = championship
User avatar
vpadfsu
hunter
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Chicago il

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Has anybody tried placing 2 Weasle Balls into one magnum decoy?
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Image
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
User avatar
DuckinFool
hunter
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:47 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby islandgoose » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:57 pm

I used the weasel ball in two of the upright duck butt decoy s and they work great . Thought you might want to know .
islandgoose
hunter
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby vlb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 pm

They work. If you leave the
ball loose it makes kind of a clucking sound, with no cadence.
vlb
hunter
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:04 am
Location: albuquerque

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby CNYduckslayer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:45 am

Just built two of these. They look great and are very easy and cheap to make.
CNYduckslayer
hunter
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:52 pm
Location: New York

Previous

Return to Duck Decoy Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests