Homemade motion duck decoy

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:55 am

I agree,...I missed this original post but having read it I think it's worth a try.
Always looking for some motion on those flat calm mornings.
I think I'll see if a couple of my plastic mallards are big enough. I don't normally set them so this will be a good use for them.

I made 2 cork butt feeders last year (black duck) and set them out with jerk lines. They work great but the lines are always an issue and someone neeeds to be in charge of pulling the line. I borrowed a plastic butt feeder from a friend a few years ago, but the 2 D-cells didn't last very long and that can get expensive.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:37 am

Made my two weasel ball shaker decoys using HorseMallard's suggestion of the magnum decoy with the weasel ball in a tube sock and he's right, it gives great motion and completely random. works great! I had two magnum G&H mallards, former swivel heads that the heads had broken off. So I glued them back on and used them as the "Weasel Stock". The magnums give the socked up weasel ball plenty of room to roll around and puts lots of ripples in the water. Batteries last fairly long and are cheap. (1 AA battery per weasel) I actually cut the opening flaps on 4 sides, leaving a two inch uncut portion for the "hinge" which makes it much easier to open than the 3 sided cut.

Anybody need two weasel tails?

Last edited by tenfingergrip on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:04 am

i'm gonna have to give the sock idea a try here. I've got 2 more to make so i'll try it that way and see how it goes. Might have to try it in some geese decoys as well for this upcoming season.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:32 pm

This needs to stay at the top for awhile. Good info.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:42 am

fowlhunter wrote:Where would you find one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180566490741&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT this is where i got mine. i ordered 2 for $15. i cannot wait to set these up. great invention!!! may have to retire my not used jerk string :thumbsup:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:42 pm

I'd try hitting the top cuttout with some foam too... then cut it down till you get a snug fit............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby mike_b » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:14 pm

I just noticed this thread and I definitely will try this. Expanding urethane foam like two conditions, moderate temperatures and moisture. I normally spray a mist from a water bottle on the area I intend to foam. Not standing water, just like if you wiped it out with a moist towel.

Amazon currently has them for < $6 and free shipping (prime or over $25, but I have a prime account....).
mike_b
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:52 am

Suit yourself, but you don't need the foam. Try it without the foam first with the "weasel" in a sock and if you don't like it, you can then foam it.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:14 am

anyone have a list of decoys that this idea will work with? i got 2 dozen hotbuys i'll be throwing out and 2 doz standard uv painted flambeau that i will do the same to unless a ball fits inside.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Save a couple bucks and order off of amazon $ 2.75 a piece
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:48 am

Does anybody have a video using the weasle ball/ Somebody throw a decoy in the pool and post one up.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:43 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:Does anybody have a video using the weasle ball/ Somebody throw a decoy in the pool and post one up.

there's a link to a video on the first page. here's another one i found on youtube

ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Anyone else doing this project?
I ordered 2 balls today.
Has anyone noticed a difference in how the ducks react?
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby bayouboy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:58 pm

ncbufflehead wrote:
carolinagreenhead wrote:Does anybody have a video using the weasle ball/ Somebody throw a decoy in the pool and post one up.

there's a link to a video on the first page. here's another one i found on youtube

Those aren't putting out hardly any motion; looks like the weasel is too constricted.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:54 pm

bayouboy wrote:
ncbufflehead wrote:

Those aren't putting out hardly any motion; looks like the weasel is too constricted.

i know, the video on the link that someone posted on the first page puts out a lot more motion. like you say, i think they have these to tight.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Some one that has tried the sock idea??
Some one post up a vid!! :D
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Coh-Brook » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:58 pm

i bought a lot of 20 weasel balls on ebay for $40 today... gonna make me some of these wobbling decoys
Coh-Brook
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:55 pm

Coh-Brook wrote:i bought a lot of 20 weasel balls on ebay for $40 today... gonna make me some of these wobbling decoys

hahaha 20 motion decoys?!?! that's friggin awesome!!!! get a video up with them all going at once!!! :bow:
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Jkling12 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:54 pm

I like the idea about the goose. Anyone else have a vid?
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"
Proudly made in the USA
LeakyW8ers wrote:It would be like sleeping with my best friends wife, it may feel good at the time, but is going to get awkward really quick.
Jkling12
hunter

Postby Matt Hogan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:42 pm

Looks like some good ideas, but I think a jerk cord beats all ripple decoys out
Heroes get remembered, but legends never die.
Matt Hogan
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:16 pm

i just cut up one of my really crappy hot buy decoys that i was going to throw away and stuck the weazle ball inside with the sock. the thing moves all over and switches directions. i'm ordering 10 more balls and doing them to some butts and 8 more hot buys. GREAT IDEA!!!!!
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:34 pm

O.K., I'll go out to the farm tomorrow, get out the G&H Magnum Mallard shaker with the socked up weasel and video it. Hope there's enough water in the 1 acre pond. This heat wave has dropped the water about 2 feet! I'll post it up tomorrow.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Jkling12 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:41 pm

Just stopped at cracker barrel and picked up a weasel ball. Hopefully getting it rigged
Up tonight.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"
Proudly made in the USA
LeakyW8ers wrote:It would be like sleeping with my best friends wife, it may feel good at the time, but is going to get awkward really quick.
Jkling12
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:45 am

Here's the video I took this morning out at the farm of my two weasel ball mallards. I didn't press the flaps back down tight on the backs, so the cut lines on the flap are more evident than would be normally. As mentioned in the video clip, the dekes are old G&H Magnums, swivel heads, that the heads had broken off. I still had the hen's head, so I glued it back on in a preening position. The drake's head was lost, so I used a feeding drake's head from some field mallards that I had replaced with flocked heads. Had to cut the compression fitting off and glue it down plus put a screw thru the back of the head into the neck. Kinda different looking.

The hen has a sock around the weasel and the drake's weasel is loose. Neither have any foam, just open body. That weasel will run around inside the body and give better motion than if lodged in foam in my opinion. Here is the link to the video. Buffering takes some time, don't know how to imbed the video in the post as of yet. Click on the pic.

tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:24 am

Well tried one of them today, Wasn't to impressed with the movement.
I did the sock trick. I could hardly see the ripples.
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Decoy Forum