Homemade motion duck decoy

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Re: Homemade motion duck decoy

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:07 am

Mallyard wrote:Well tried one of them today, Wasn't to impressed with the movement.
I did the sock trick. I could hardly see the ripples.

it might have to do with the kind of decoy you're using. my hot buy moved around a lot more than the one in the video above. it even turned itself around a couple of times. and maybe the sock too. i used a real thin dress sock.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:32 am

You are probably right JuniorP, those G&H Magnums, while they give the weasel lots of room to roll around, are probably twice or three times as heavy as a Hot Buy or any other standard decoy. That heavier weight would certainly cut down on the movement.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:06 pm

good call guys.... I was using a cableas real image. Which if you've ever picked one of those up you know they are huge and heavy...
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:16 pm

After seeing the weasel ball demo's im not too convinced of their ability to make the decoy move in a random pattern, I'm thinking about putting one of these in one of my burner decoys, probably use the sock trick.

http://www.dunesbury.com/product_infos.php?c=01&n=165795011&i=B0002H3SCI&x=Cardinal_Laboratories_Crazy_Pet_Bumble_Ball_Various_Colors

Swing through,

Drew
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes"
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:34 am

BootsUpDucks2121 wrote:After seeing the weasel ball demo's im not too convinced of their ability to make the decoy move in a random pattern, I'm thinking about putting one of these in one of my burner decoys, probably use the sock trick.

http://www.dunesbury.com/product_infos.php?c=01&n=165795011&i=B0002H3SCI&x=Cardinal_Laboratories_Crazy_Pet_Bumble_Ball_Various_Colors

Swing through,

Drew

i'll see if i can get a video of my hotbuy decoy tomorrow. you'd be surprised of how much it moves around. but it will probably be in a bath tub. utah is in the drought season for now.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Jkling12 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:55 am

I used an old carrylite magnum water keel mallard today and w/out a sock on it, the deke moved all over the place. I am surprised with how good it looks. Puts out quite the wave in quiet water. I am going to put a sock on it to dampen the noise though.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"
Proudly made in the USA
LeakyW8ers wrote:It would be like sleeping with my best friends wife, it may feel good at the time, but is going to get awkward really quick.
Jkling12
hunter

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:36 am

So I saw a couple good tips to get better movement into your weasel ball, not sure if they have been brought up already in this discussion but , what the hell. First, if you are using the foam technique, since the balll its self is weighted differentially to the side where the motor is located, be sure to place that side towardsthe top of your decoy to give it more wobble. I have also heard of guys weighting the foam on one side by shoving marbles or screws at the top of one side . The other trick i have heard is to cut the keel of your decoy to shorten it, making it less stable. These could all help give you more motion in your spread!
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes"
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:16 am

Since I'm using the Magnum G&H's that are heavy as hell, I think I'll drill a hole in the keels and remove some of the sand (if they have sand in them) to lighten up the weight and see how much difference that makes in the movement. It's acceptable as it is right now, but removing some of the keel weighting may make the ripples more intense.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Here is my first attempt at the homemade motion duck decoy, and I am very pleased with the results.
Needed:
Rigged Decoy
Utility Knife
Weasel Ball in think sock
*video below*
Last edited by MODuckkiller on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Duck Enticer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:52 am

I made a decoy last year. It worked pretty well, check out the thread.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/lpca/ ... 0#comments

That little sucker rocks!
Negrodamus knows!
Duck Enticer
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:59 pm

MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby CAJUNSIM » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Finally did video and tested a feeder with weasel ball. I was throwing away decoy and decided to experiment. Will field test 9/10/11-look out blue rockets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NEbamzkZnE
CAJUNSIM
hunter

Postby Duck Enticer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:12 pm

I like the motion Cajunsim. It makes more than an average wobble deke. What the heck was the noise though? Hopefully the washer.
Negrodamus knows!
Duck Enticer
hunter

Postby CAJUNSIM » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:12 pm

Noise is weasel inside-I did not wrap in a sock as suggested by another post. By the time they hear the noise it will be too late :yes:

I saw academy had wind doves for 9 bucks but did not pick one up. Trying to figure out how to motorize it if wind does not do the job. PS planning to go sit and shoot pics one AM-brother saw some teal this weekend buzzing. Flooded pond and back pond has water. Will probably put dekes out labor day weekend-not sure about a dove hunt ---100+ degrees not my idea of fun. Choooot em!!!
CAJUNSIM
hunter

Postby Duck Enticer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 am

I had a blast last year even though we didn't do well. I remember burning the day at the farm and then heading to my buddies to watch LSU beat North Carolina. It was a greaaatttt day! If ya'll are going to be at farm maybe I could bring my goose dekes and get some heads up on how to paint them. Later man.
Negrodamus knows!
Duck Enticer
hunter

Postby CAJUNSIM » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Probably do something out there on labor day that involves shooting something. Bring them to work and stop by house on way home-thats where I have all the paint and pics. I will let you know more closer to that weekend-may just pump more water into pond. Saw G and H having sale on shells 3" nine bucks and no tax weekend. :thumbsup:
CAJUNSIM
hunter

Postby duckkillersinc » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:50 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:
BootsUpDucks2121 wrote:After seeing the weasel ball demo's im not too convinced of their ability to make the decoy move in a random pattern, I'm thinking about putting one of these in one of my burner decoys, probably use the sock trick.

Swing through,

Drew

i'll see if i can get a video of my hotbuy decoy tomorrow. you'd be surprised of how much it moves around. but it will probably be in a bath tub. utah is in the drought season for now.

I think you guys put way to much emphasis on decoy movement and not much on water movement. Moving alot of water and some associated decoy movement is what works.
duckkillersinc
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:38 pm

moving decoy in the water = moving water??? :huh:
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby duckkillersinc » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:53 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:moving decoy in the water = moving water??? :huh:

No it doesnt, not at all. Yes it will displace some water but its not significant, ducks coming in see the water movement not the moving decoys from a distance, simply rocking a decoy at a low rate on the surface does not create significant water/wave movement or form multiple resonating wave patterns which need to be formed on water in order to be easily disntinguised and pinpointed from distance.
duckkillersinc
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:43 am

duckkillersinc wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:moving decoy in the water = moving water??? :huh:

No it doesnt, not at all. Yes it will displace some water but its not significant, ducks coming in see the water movement not the moving decoys from a distance, simply rocking a decoy at a low rate on the surface does not create significant water/wave movement or form multiple resonating wave patterns which need to be formed on water in order to be easily disntinguised and pinpointed from distance.

huh, i swear i'm seeing water movement with these weasel balls at home and on these videos. maybe not. could you share with us some tips???
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby duckkillersinc » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Hey I think this is a pretty neat homemade motion decoy. Not sure what they cost to make but good job. Of course you are seeing water move in these videos, especially the ones made with the decoys in the sink - the water is shallow and it is contained in a small volume sink so the waves bounce off the enclosure sides and due to small water volume the sink waves are amplified or exaggerated based on this, you wont get that type of water movement in your decoy spread, those waves that are created are going to radiate out and not bounce back and up like in the sink. So yes you are moving water and hey I like what yall did. My original point was that I have done a lof of this and I believe people put way to emphasis on the actual decoy movement rather than water movement and when I say water movement I mean moving some water. Water which a duck in the air can see for miles. If I could change one thing about the weasel ball deek, I would actually reduce the movement of the decoy - I think it is a little too much, maybe when you put a line on it the deek will slow down. The movement is erratic,
I just think it is way to much. As for water movenment, you do have some, its not high pressure frequent radiating complex waves but its moving and that will come in handy on a lot of days.

As far as tips go for moviong more water I think you are always going to have an issue when you are using a moving decoy on the water surface to displace your water to create movement. You can probably improve some by the decoy design and weight. But to truely move water like I am talking about that ducks truly believe is real ducks feeding you have to go about it a whole different way. And instead of the decoy moving thewater have the water move the decoy.
duckkillersinc
hunter

Postby Jkling12 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:03 pm

I put mine in my pond and it moved quite a bit of water around. Yes it's not A LOT but I think it will be a lot better than nothing especially for $7.
Proudly made in the USA
LeakyW8ers wrote:It would be like sleeping with my best friends wife, it may feel good at the time, but is going to get awkward really quick.
Jkling12
hunter

Postby duckkillersinc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:27 pm

Jkling12 wrote:I put mine in my pond and it moved quite a bit of water around. Yes it's not A LOT but I think it will be a lot better than nothing especially for $7.

Like I said earlier I like it :thumbsup:
duckkillersinc
hunter

Postby OlPepper » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Here is my experiance from today.

I took an old Carylite spoonie decoy, the low profile style, cut the back out and left the top end uncut. Filled the front and rear of the decoy with expanding foam, let dry. Stuck the ball in the decoy and held the flap down with a rubber band and put it in my pool. The ball would rock back and forth and limited motion as it did not move much. Not too impressed.

So I left the flap up naturally about 1 inch and the ball did not touch and rolled back and forth very freely. Very impressed with the amount of rocking and water movement, more than double than above. It also spun and moved back and forth or side to side action.

I did notice that the ball would slip/spin. So I really roughed up the outside of the ball and inside bottom of the decoy with 150 grit sand paper. Worked like a charm! Much less slipping.

For those days that its dead still I will use this decoy set up. I have a few potholes where there is zero wind most days.

My next experiment is with a slightly bigger decoy so the flap will stay down and a butt style decoy. I have a feeling that the butt style decoy will be better yet.

For a $5.00 investment in just the ball why not?
OlPepper
hunter

Postby Jkling12 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Where do you cut the butt feeders? Gander has some off brands
For 5 bucks. Thinking bout doing another weasel ball deke.
Proudly made in the USA
Jkling12
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Decoy Forum